Author Topic: Purses, clutches, hobo bags, handbags, and crossbody handbags  (Read 6995 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
We sure do have a wide variety of handbags available.
I prefer good quality leather handbags with shoulder straps. But others certainly are considered.
I am not into designer labels just “because” they are designer labels.
If they make a bag I like I would certainly consider one though.  But not for the name.

What bag and purse styles and colors do you like? 

Exotic leathers?  Cloth?  Cowhide? 

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
Re: Purses, clutches, hobo bags, handbags, and crossbody handbags
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:31:50 pm »
My favorite bag currently is a smallish Merlot tote from Portland Leather Goods. The reason I like this tote is because it is the perfect size. It is just big enough to carry my 13” laptop or a moderate amount of stuff. But it isn’t ginormous like most other totes these days. Plus the handle drop is perfect. And it looks really good and fits with my casual style from spring to fall. Got it for around $160 - love it.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 08:54:50 pm »
My favorite bag currently is a smallish Merlot tote from Portland Leather Goods. The reason I like this tote is because it is the perfect size. It is just big enough to carry my 13” laptop or a moderate amount of stuff. But it isn’t ginormous like most other totes these days. Plus the handle drop is perfect. And it looks really good and fits with my casual style from spring to fall. Got it for around $160 - love it.

Sarah

Is that a crossbody tote, and does the laptop stick out the top?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 09:10:48 pm »
It is not a crossbody tote, but it does have a top zipper. I did not want a crossbody, because I don’t like crossbodies except when I’m in a busy city and I care more about security. I have a more functional tote bag for situations like that.

The laptop does not stick out - it fits very nicely. Anything bigger than 13” would not work, however.

I looked long and hard for a style like this, and this was the only one I found with this size plus a zipper option plus a handy exterior pocket for non valuables that I need to access quickly (like reading glasses).

Sarah
----
48 years young.
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:14:10 pm »
It is not a crossbody tote, but it does have a top zipper. I did not want a crossbody, because I don’t like crossbodies except when I’m in a busy city and I care more about security. I have a more functional tote bag for situations like that.

The laptop does not stick out - it fits very nicely. Anything bigger than 13” would not work, however.

I looked long and hard for a style like this, and this was the only one I found with this size plus a zipper option plus a handy exterior pocket for non valuables that I need to access quickly (like reading glasses).

Sarah

Thank you Sarah.  :)

Chrissy

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 03:37:21 pm »
I really like having my arms free, and considering I don't have a phone, and I leave my laptop at home, I usually just stick with some decent cargo pants that have good pockets, or a hip pack, if I don't have pockets available.

I haven't ever really warmed to purses or handbags (not yet anyway, but who knows...).
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 04:04:54 pm »
Here my friends say that fashionable women should have at least 1 luxury handbag which costs more than several thousand bucks, urging me to follow it. I can not afford it, not because I do not have money, but because I have 3 kids and my priority is them. Usually, my handbags cost less than US$50, but many people believe they are > US$ 1,000. Thus, practically I do not need expensive ones.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• Family
  • ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 05:27:49 pm »
Here my friends say that fashionable women should have at least 1 luxury handbag which costs more than several thousand bucks, urging me to follow it. I can not afford it, not because I do not have money, but because I have 3 kids and my priority is them. Usually, my handbags cost less than US$50, but many people believe they are > US$ 1,000. Thus, practically I do not need expensive ones.

An excellent philosophy. I commend you for putting your family first. That's exactly the way it should be.

I don't know a lot about fashion! Neither do I care. I don't even know what is meant by a "tote" bag. Nor a "hobo" bag - that sounds a bit dodgy to me! I have a black leather crossbody handbag that is medium-sized that I use most of the time. All of my handbags are crossbody because I like my arms free.

When it comes to fashion in general, I tend to ignore it. I consider when I see clothing whether I think it would look good on me. That's it. I also shun designer labels for the most part.

As for a purse... Here in the UK, a purse is a small container for money and credit cards, much like a wallet. I kept my wallet for some time since starting transitioning until I realised that it wasn't really very feminine, and at that point, I got a purse instead. It's not a great deal different, really. It is also black leather, or at least leather-look, like the hangbag.

The most I've ever paid for a handbag is £20. I can't imagine paying much more, ever. There's no way I would ever go into three figures for one.
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: started 6 Apr 2021 via GenderCare/NHS shared care
Care switched to NHS: 22 Sep 2021
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 06:21:15 pm »
The color of the bag can make a difference in terms of being usable for more outfits.
Tan seems like a neutral brownish color, however I unsure if that means all tints and shades of “tans.”

I can say that for the tans, I prefer the darker brown shades.  Perhaps a cowhide or light honey tint.  Yes, honey can look light or dark!  There seems to be quite the range of browns.

Beige is whitish in its tint but I think it has brown in it.

Perhaps some of you who are very fashion conscious or knowing can elaborate.   :)

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 07:27:09 am »

Sarah

Those are nice.  I noticed more handcrafted handbags on Etsy and by doing Web searches.
The high quality leather ones can be very durable.  Yes, they do weigh more than other materials.
I am going to do some more in person shopping too, as it is nice to personally check out the handbags.

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 05:20:28 pm »
I have been looking for a nice, small crossbody bag too.
I may get a new one this week if I go shopping in person.

Chrissy

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 02:01:38 am »
I have a medium sized, black leather cross body / shoulder bag from All Saints. I like because it fits my iPad Pro and case perfectly and has enough extra rooms the stuff we all need to carry. I have to admit it is more utilitarian and practical than for fashion. But on the other hand it did take me a long time to find the exact style of crossbody ‘ shoulder bag I was looking for combing functionality and styling. And I really like leather bags in general, the tactile feel, smell, craftsmanship, etc...

A great bag is a work of art and can really make an outfit. It’s something I notice about a woman. Along with shoes.

I have a small olive color leather mini backpack for running around town in. Fits just the right amount of stuff, iphone, keys, girly stuff, meds, multi-tool, glasses, and it fits my iPad mini perfectly. Lol

Purses and shoes, there is no such thing as having too many......

Been looking at a few more but so far have been good. In other words electrolysis paid for before more purses, lol

Practical Holly

Offline Lyric

• Family
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 09:46:18 am »
Here my friends say that fashionable women should have at least 1 luxury handbag which costs more than several thousand bucks, urging me to follow it.

In the wacky world of fashion I think the basic human sense inclinations come into play. We all tend to be more oriented toward one sense type: the visual, the verbal or the kinesthetic (tactile). We visual people are easily satisfied with achieving a pleasing appearance while verbal people have to buy those expensive labels to feel satisfied with fashion.
"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." - Steve Jobs

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 08:37:36 pm »
Handbags are so nice.  The larger ones can hold a lot, and the smaller ones can be so cute!

They win hands down over the “messenger bags,” that is for sure!

Chrissy

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 01:35:11 pm »
In the wacky world of fashion I think the basic human sense inclinations come into play. We all tend to be more oriented toward one sense type: the visual, the verbal or the kinesthetic (tactile). We visual people are easily satisfied with achieving a pleasing appearance while verbal people have to buy those expensive labels to feel satisfied with fashion.

Interesting.

Yes. Certainly, I am a visual person, and that is why I usually carry big bags.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 04:13:09 pm »
It is getting to be that I take a handbag with me often when I am out even when not presenting female.  Perhaps the larger ones can be seen as carry bags or totes, I do not know. 
Perhaps the smaller ones are not noticed or they cannot figure that visual out, or are considered to be metrosexual bags. Guys can use shoulder or crossbody bags too.  I had a bag the other day in the top shelf of the shopping cart as I stopped to pay and the cashier looked at me and the bag then at me again and had what I call a perplexed look. 

Chrissy

Offline Ellie_Arroway

• Family
  • ellie_arroway@susans.org
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 01:05:24 pm »
It is getting to be that I take a handbag with me often when I am out even when not presenting female.  Perhaps the larger ones can be seen as carry bags or totes, I do not know. 
Perhaps the smaller ones are not noticed or they cannot figure that visual out, or are considered to be metrosexual bags. Guys can use shoulder or crossbody bags too.  I had a bag the other day in the top shelf of the shopping cart as I stopped to pay and the cashier looked at me and the bag then at me again and had what I call a perplexed look. 

Well, why shouldn't you.

If I was not transgender and I had found out how useful handbags can be, I'd have done it too.
Started seriously questioning: 24 Aug 2019
Referred to GIC: 23 Sep 2019
Full-time female presentation since: 21 Oct 2019, unbroken since 12 Dec 2019
Official name change by deed poll: 11 Nov 2019
HRT: started 6 Apr 2021 via GenderCare/NHS shared care
Care switched to NHS: 22 Sep 2021
Most of my story is in the Just another mtf tale thread!
Twitch streamer MusicEllie

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 04:52:15 pm »
Well, why shouldn't you.

If I was not transgender and I had found out how useful handbags can be, I'd have done it too.

They are useful, that is for sure.   :)

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Family
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 08:40:55 pm »

Sarah

They sure do have a nice selection!
Now... should I really get yet another bag this month?  Likely will wait a bit.

Unsure if I should stick with my nice darker colors that go with everything, you know, the black and browns, or if a little attention getting red, mustard, or forest green bag will be the next one!

Chrissy

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2020, 08:25:29 am »
Only you can determine when you have too many bags!  :)

Sarah

They sure do have a nice selection!
Now... should I really get yet another bag this month?  Likely will wait a bit.

Unsure if I should stick with my nice darker colors that go with everything, you know, the black and browns, or if a little attention getting red, mustard, or forest green bag will be the next one!

Chrissy
----
48 years young.

Tags: