Author Topic: Purses, clutches, hobo bags, handbags, and crossbody handbags  (Read 846 times)

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
Re: Purses, clutches, hobo bags, handbags, and crossbody handbags
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 02:24:12 pm »
It is getting to be that I take a handbag with me often when I am out even when not presenting female.  Perhaps the larger ones can be seen as carry bags or totes, I do not know. 
Perhaps the smaller ones are not noticed or they cannot figure that visual out, or are considered to be metrosexual bags. Guys can use shoulder or crossbody bags too.  I had a bag the other day in the top shelf of the shopping cart as I stopped to pay and the cashier looked at me and the bag then at me again and had what I call a perplexed look. 

Chrissy

For years my "Murse" has been a Manhattan Portage small messenger bag that I got on the cheap.   It's just too handy to live without, and now if I go out mixed wardrobe where the "pockets" are merely a sewing decoration it's an absolute requirement. Solid black and nearly indestructable.  Thought about getting another one, and found out in today's world they cost almost as much as my girl-mode leather Coach crossbody! 

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

In a sky full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy? - Seal

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 03:01:18 pm »
My favorite backpack for running outdoors. It has two straps that hold my waist and chest, relieving the burden of my shoulders by tightening my upper body. Very practical, but not fashionable.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 11:35:20 am »
I am leaning towards sunflower/mustard for my next handbag color, although I really enjoy the tints and shades of honey brown. 

What colors do you have other than black?  I am thinking of getting a red tone, perhaps like the insides of a papaya (not the seed color), and maybe a lighter green like Forest Green.  I am unsure about blue.  Although  I like blue, I have not convinced myself that blue is a color I want for a handbag.  I think I can make a blue bag “work” for me.

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline barbie

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 12:36:46 pm »
I like red beside black, not just for bags, but for outfits, too.

Red is for fall/winter and sky/blue are for summer.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2020, 06:29:03 pm »
Only you can determine when you have too many bags!  :)

Sarah

I think I reached my limit with buying three bags this month!

Seems ridiculous but I may not get another one for a long time.

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2020, 11:52:53 pm »

I think I reached my limit with buying three bags this month!

Seems ridiculous but I may not get another one for a long time.

Chrissy

I thought I had reached my limit- then a beautiful Brighton butterfly purse I've been looking at for a couple of months went on sale.  So now, really, for sure I've reached my limit  ;) ;D :angel:

Caela

Offline barbie

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 10:55:06 am »
I thought I had reached my limit- then a beautiful Brighton butterfly purse I've been looking at for a couple of months went on sale.  So now, really, for sure I've reached my limit  ;) ;D :angel:

Caela

It is cute!
I also see them around my house.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 04:27:54 pm »

Caela

Pretty!

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 06:56:50 pm »
My favorite bag currently is a smallish Merlot tote from Portland Leather Goods. The reason I like this tote is because it is the perfect size. It is just big enough to carry my 13” laptop or a moderate amount of stuff. But it isn’t ginormous like most other totes these days. Plus the handle drop is perfect. And it looks really good and fits with my casual style from spring to fall. Got it for around $160 - love it.

Sarah

@sarahc

They have a sale going on this weekend!  Another 25% lower than their frequent 25% off!
I think that this is too good a deal to pass up.   

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
Purses, clutches, hobo bags, handbags, and crossbody handbags
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 05:02:01 pm »
Today is the first day in about three weeks when I have been out that I have NOT had one of my handbags hanging from my shoulder or worn crossbody.  But, I was not out doing anything really except getting gasoline for my mower. 

No one has mentioned anything to me about the handbags, even when I took little time to look feminine, that is, out androgynously or male-ish.  One lady cashier did look at me a few times and my handbag last month when I had my handbag in the shopping cart shelf, but that was it. 

Chrissy

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 07:25:44 pm by ChrissyRyan »

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 12:34:32 am »
Three more bags came home with me this weekend... one of them has a sentiment that fits me printed on it :)

Caela

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2020, 04:37:25 pm »
Today is the first day in about three weeks when I have been out that I have NOT had one of my handbags hanging from my shoulder or worn crossbody.  But, I was not out doing anything really except getting gasoline for my mower. 

No one has mentioned anything to me about the handbags, even when I took little time to look feminine, that is, out androgynously or male-ish.  One lady cashier did look at me a few times and my handbag last month when I had my handbag in the shopping cart shelf, but that was it. 

Chrissy

So I’ve been full-time for several months and at this point here are my honest thoughts on bags:

1) I understand that bags can be cute, help make the outfit, provide room for more stuff that needs to be carried and help with passing. However...

2) in most cases, I would prefer leaving the house just carrying my small wallet, phone and keys in my jacket pocket, because I just don’t like hauling a bag and digging around for what I need.

I know that one day I’ll find carrying a bag invaluable...but I’m not there yet.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 05:15:19 pm »
So I’ve been full-time for several months and at this point here are my honest thoughts on bags:

1) I understand that bags can be cute, help make the outfit, provide room for more stuff that needs to be carried and help with passing. However...

2) in most cases, I would prefer leaving the house just carrying my small wallet, phone and keys in my jacket pocket, because I just don’t like hauling a bag and digging around for what I need.

I know that one day I’ll find carrying a bag invaluable...but I’m not there yet.

Sarah

I found it invaluable even before my discovery- and now even more so.  But that's just me.  I have girlfriends who just carry a set of keys, and a phone with a case that holds their ID and credit card.

I chuckle thinking back to all the times I wondered why my wife carried such a big crossbody purse, at the same time that I had on a crossbody messenger bag that was the exact same size!

Caela

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 05:27:42 pm »
A mini wallet is good for a couple of cards, a few $, ID.

Chrissy

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 05:45:40 pm »
I have my utility wallet/purse that hold my phone, money, half a dozen cards and ID, with a little zip compartment for coins and bits... It has a strap and is all I carry sometimes.. But then... I love my shoulder bag. Not too big, not too small and has everything you need. Its great for car keys too...
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2020, 03:38:15 pm »
If you had only one bag, purse, or clutch to use for everyday use, which style would you pick?  Why? 

Plus, what color?  Black, brown, red, wine, green, blue, etc., or one with a pattern or perhaps with butterflies, birds, or flowers?

Plus, what material?  Leather, cloth, or... ?

Chrissy

Tags: