Author Topic: Has your fashion styles altered between during transition?  (Read 488 times)

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
Has your fashion styles altered between during transition?
« on: July 16, 2020, 02:44:09 am »
Hi 😘

I’m certain I’m not wording this quite right......

but was wondering if your fashion sense or styles has changed drastically or dramatically during transition? If so what do you attribute it to or is it just a phase We all go through?

For example as a MTF if you were a mostly a casual jeans and sneakers guy/gal are you kinda still mostly that way after transition? Or did you get super into fashion and designers? (Same for FTM, Too!)

I know there are a lot of dimensions to this question I haven’t thought through because I haven’t got there yet. Maybe y’all can help clarify my thinking on this topic.

Just wondering what’s in store for me! (And yes I have waaaay too much time on my hands from quarantine. Lol)

Hugs,

Holly

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
Re: Has your fashion styles altered between during transition?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 12:05:45 pm »
Yes, my dressing style has changed some from the fist time I started crossdressing in 2007.  In the beginning, I knew that I wanted to go out, so that to me meant going into San Francisco for drinks and dinner with friends.  Thus, my initial style was skirts and nice tops that added dresses later.  That was what my overflowing closetS were over filled with. 

The first year of living full time as myself starting in the summer when I went full time were obviously female Bermuda shorts and different types of tops, very casual and summery wear.  I still had my going out at night clothes.  Now, a few short years into full time living I have added a lot of sun dresses and shorter summer skirts to my daily casual wear.  I especially like the strappy mid-thigh sun dresses.  Having had BA last Fall helped with these dressers because I do not need a to wear a bra with them any more!  I want to look good and stand out as looking good.  For the most part I think I make that work well, for me.

Part of my mental and physical transition included refining my styles for day and night to what works for me.  I continue to gather bags of unneeded clothing to donate to the thrift stores, and have a lot more bags to go!  I truly hope to get down to one double closet of all my daily and night clothes.  One can dream!

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline anne_indy

• Friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 12:41:09 pm »
For me, it’s a work in progress. I am still sorting out the styles that fit my personality. I have yet to venture into realm of skirts and dresses. Up to now it’s been pants and tops. Some tops could qualify as dresses, but have not been prepared to show off my legs yet. So pants have ranged from tight skinny jeans, to flowy, wide legged pants. Shoes are also evolving. Had been mostly flats and low heeled shoes but I indulged in a pair of ankle boots with 3 inch heels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Battle Goddess

• Friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:09:48 pm »
was wondering if your fashion sense or styles has changed drastically or dramatically during transition?

Heh. Yeah. I started caring at all.

Working from home and over video/conference call allows one to dress for comfort. Doggo doesn't care what I wear when we go for a walk.

Now I have to go and develop a fashion sense? Oy. I'm shooting for Geek Chic, Gamer Girl, or Sexy Librarian.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 04:14:37 pm »
As a small short guy I had few clothing options.

As a petite girl I can find tons of cute stuff in the clearance racks.

So yes, there are big changes in how I dress.

Marion

Offline Erika_

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 01:04:39 pm »
Before I would either wear androgynous clothes or work clothes, I hated wearing anything male coded.

Now I can dress the way I want, I can wear stylish clothes instead of having to wear frumpy hand-me-downs.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 07:33:28 pm »
People do see tops more when we are online for meetings, so the bottom part of the wardrobe is less significant. 

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 03:46:13 am »
Thanks all for the insights!

I wondering about this.......

As a guy I've always been known as a sharp dresser, nothing too outlandish just fashion forward without being too trendy. Guess it comes from prep school, fraternity life and being in the LA/OC madhouse. When we were young and single my buddies would jokingly greet me GQ smooth is in the house, lol. My ex-wife was in the entertainment business awhile as were a lot of college friends so there were always many charity, social, business, and industry events to attend. And we enjoyed just going out to concerts, theater, plays and other events as well. So there was ample opportunity to dress up very nicely.

I didn't realize it at the time but I definitely had/have a clothes addition problem.

So far I'm very basic on women's clothing. I don't know if this me being older or what. Just doing beach casual and I'm fine.

I've been worrying about this more lately as I have started transitioning. My initial feelings on women's clothing has been a lot less troublesome in this regard. But as I acquiring more things I finding my self falling into these additive pattern feelings again and it is worrying me, especially purse and shoes. I have zero willpower. Sad.

Coming out no problem, HRT no problem, transition no problem, throwing out my Armani suits I cant pull the trigger, ditching my watches and jewelry no problem, getting rid of the blue velvet Prada jacket I snagged from a Hollywood director to wear at the Academy Awards can't do it, last 30 pairs of dress shoes with matching belts no way, cuff links pry from my cold dead hands. Gabbana don't even think about it, you even look at Tom Ford and it is on. Just stay out of my walk in closet just to be on the safe side, OK? Weird huh?

Anyone else have trouble throwing out stuff from their past life?

I have to go back and talk to my therapist(s) about this.

Is it just me trying not to be me ?!?!

Hugs,

Clothes Addict Holly

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 05:35:22 am »
Monday: t-shirt and shorts
Tuesday: t-shirt and shorts
Wednesday: t-shirt...

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 03:50:37 pm »
Monday: t-shirt and shorts
Tuesday: t-shirt and shorts
Wednesday: t-shirt...

Sarah

I'm right there with you these days, Sarah !

Hope that sticks through transition and I don't get sucked into the fashion vortex ...................

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 06:00:04 pm »
I'm right there with you these days, Sarah !

Hope that sticks through transition and I don't get sucked into the fashion vortex ...................

Ts are a fashion staple for me in hot weather at least but I do like dressier tops too. Oh yes, sweaters and some vests.  Love the softer, feminine colors and V neck Ts.  And the varying lengths and hems for Ts.  Lots of variety we have!

Modal blend material Ts are really soft. 

Chrissy

Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Online Pammie

Has your fashion styles altered between during transition?
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 02:23:06 am »
Ts are a fashion staple for me in hot weather at least but I do like dressier tops too. Oh yes, sweaters and some vests.  Love the softer, feminine colors and V neck Ts.  And the varying lengths and hems for Ts.  Lots of variety we have!

Modal blend material Ts are really soft. 

Chrissy

My tastes have certainly evolved significantly in the 3 years since I went full time but due to seeing what other women wear, what styles are in the mainstream shops and trying things out.
Clothes are my passion and I love to look and feel good even my T’s are colourful but to be honest i’m not often in T’s, I prefer camis and skirts and love wearing dresses. For work I have lots of smart blouses too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:19:49 am by Pammie »

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 04:16:32 pm »
In terms of how I envisioned myself (within my mind and heart), my fashion styles haven't changed so much...

...but, externally, since I've now taken the leap, it's a night to day change.

And now, unlike before, I think I'm actually having fun with clothing, which is pretty awesome.  :)
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Tags: