Author Topic: Does this tend to happen to post ops?  (Read 220 times)

Offline CosmicJoke

• Friend
Does this tend to happen to post ops?
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:44:15 pm »
Hi everyone. I am still a pre op MtF transgender person. I have had a bilateral orchiectomy several years ago and I think I got a taste of this feeling. Anyway, I have heard many times that in the post op stage there tends to be this overwhelming feeling of having no idea what you're going to do with the rest of your life. I don't know how true this is for everyone, but it almost seems to be portrayed as the typical trans narrative, and not exactly in a good way.
I believe that for somebody who does have genital dysphoria, surgery can improve that person's life in amazing ways, but there does also seem to be stories that are told where it's like they have no idea what they are going to do after.
Anyway, I think vaginoplasty is still a long way off for me but I was just wondering what some here make of the stories I am talking about. Is it true that sometimes a trans person could be worse off from undergoing surgery rather than better?

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
Re: Does this tend to happen to post ops?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:50:01 pm »
Anyway, I have heard many times that in the post op stage there tends to be this overwhelming feeling of having no idea what you're going to do with the rest of your life.

I, post-op for 5 months, have not had such feelings.

My case may be skewed by the fact that I am retired. I don't have the usual options of "what you're going to do with the rest of your life"

Is it true that sometimes a trans person could be worse off from undergoing surgery rather than better?

I'm sure that a trans person could be worse off after surgery. I am also confident that such cases are rare.

All of the above is why counseling is a must, and why we have WPATH guidelines.

YMMV
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 07:47:42 pm »
Dear CJ,

I am just over 4 years post-op. I never felt that way, possibly because as a late transitioner, I already have a life. For me, the question was, "How do I want to live the rest of my life?"

There are some people who are so overwhelmed by their gender dysphoria, that they planned for nothing else. No career. No job prospects. No education. We need to plan for our own fiscal security, what ever that may be. This is part of any transition plan.

How are we going to take care of ourselves? Do not rely on family, friends or the lottery. All of these are pretty much hit or miss propositions.

Offline AnonyMs

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:16:27 pm »
Anyway, I have heard many times that in the post op stage there tends to be this overwhelming feeling of having no idea what you're going to do with the rest of your life.

It’s a common story, but I believe it’s because this surgery is usually the culmination of many years of struggle and is typically marks the end of transition. Once the thing that has been the focus of your life for so many years is gone of course you can be left without direction. You’ll tend to see people drop out of the trans community shortly afterwards as well, and just get on with their lives. Those of us who stick around long term are the odd ones out.

Offline ToriJo

• Family
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 07:06:43 pm »
I've heard this can happen, but haven't had any issue with this myself - life is plenty busy for me to occupy myself.  :)

Tags: