Author Topic: I am pleased and envious.  (Read 330 times)

Offline AlexUABC

I am pleased and envious.
« on: August 16, 2020, 08:55:12 pm »
i'm glad that instagram and facebook girls like boone wiliams, elle snyder, rachel. vibess and others who are under 21 have obtained the support and understanding of their parents to be able to transition before 18 including sex reassignment surgery but I am a little envious that they could do it so young and it is that many of us had Mothers who, influenced by religion, opposed the transition, today more trans girls can transition at an early age without suffering the ravages of testosterone but there must also be an accurate diagnosis for these girls

Offline DebbieB

• Debbie Ballard: IT Architect & Author
Re: I am pleased and envious.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 01:30:20 am »
I am also envious of those who were able to transition as teens, but I also learned several things at my father's death bead.

I had come out to my parents when I was 6 years old, and a several times had come home bawling "I hate being a boy, I wish I could be a girl".  I had even talked with a psychologist about it and he told me that we couldn't even talk about it.

It turned out that my mother, who was seeing a psychologist when I told her, asked her psychologist what to do about my desire to be a girl.  He told her that there was a treatment, but it involved 90 days of daily electroshock, aversion therapy, sleep deprivation, and humiliation, and if I still wanted to be a girl, they would have to do a lobotomy.

So in fact, my mother wasn't being mean, and we were part of a liberal Christian denomination that supported the Gay Liberation Movement, Civil Rights, and Liberation Theology.  My grandfather was a bit of a religious fanatic, but had no say in the matter.

In fact, my parents, and the psychologist were trying to save me from a fate worse than death because they knew that I would end up being lobotomized.   Even in the late 1970s, wanting to be a girl was a good way to end up in a "chemical straight-jacket" - massive doses of Haldol, carefully monitored, either taken orally or by injection.  It didn't quiet the urges, the desires, or the pain, but it stopped your ability to think and concentrate long enough to do anything about them.

Debbie Ballard - IT Architect
1st Transition 1988 to 1997 - detransitioned
2nd Transition 2010
HRT since 2011
Full Time since 2012

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 05:26:34 am »
Many people today do not realize how things were years ago. We had few allies and no public support.

It wasn't until the mid 1960's when a few universities in the US started doing original research in this area. At the time we were still publicly being humiliated by the news media. Things did not change until we, ourselves, started communicating via the internet.

In the early days of the internet, there was a proliferation of cross dressing web pages, mostly being MTF. For some reason this shocked people at that time. They could not understand why we needed to do this. There were many more of us than anybody ever thought. That is when people started taking us seriously and they started to notice the serious consequences of all types of gender dysphoria.

I feel that we owe our sisters in the  CD community a big thank you for making our situation come to the forefront for the public in general.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 10:06:41 am »
Hello Debbie

I also am envious and so happy that  young  people both  before and after the age of 18, may start transition so much earlier than I who started aged 62 in 2017. It is so wonderful that times have changed so much since when I was 18 in 1973 but I would certainly have chosen transition if it had been feasible at that time.

Just to let you know that I told my grandmother  aged 4 in 1959 that I wished to have been born a girl. I also told my mother many times over the years but she was  most opposed. The reason was not religion. She incorrectly assumed that  transgender was intertwined  with being gay and secondly was concerned what the neighbours would think of my crossdressing.

I loved my mother very much but sadly like so many parents and like most of society, she didn't understand and didn't wish to.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 10:20:38 am »
Hello again Rakel

I agree that  we were shunned till the advent of the Internet in the 1990s and that we must be so grateful for that invention and for the crossdresser community for bringing their situation to the attention of so many.

I consider that the Transgender subject has only really been in the public domain here in UK since 2005.

As you say, it gradually came out as a surprise to the world in general that there are so many of us transgender people!

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 01:28:30 pm »
When I was growing up if you even talked about such things you were considered crazy or a pervert, if not posessed by demonic spirits.

Offline AlexUABC

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:03:36 pm »
I knew from an early age that I wanted to be a girl but my mother objected and she wanted to take me to the psychologist so that according to her they would take away that desire and when they told her that she did not bother and to top it off at that time the Jehovah's Witnesses gave us washing brain (Bible study) and they told me it was a sin (well, although for them everything is sin) and that is why I hid this during my childhood and adolescence but to alleviate this sadness I imagined that by means of magic and spells people could change their sex It was until the age of 12 when I learned about the story of Carla Antonelli, a transsexual girl from Spain, but at that time the transition was in adults, that was 27 years ago, I don't know if at that time they also transitioned during adolescence, even in childhood, but although that was the people hid it so as not to receive criticism and it was just to imagine at my 15 that maybe somewhere a boy who also wanted to be a girl if she was allowed to transition and be one more girl. And although this is crazy, knowing that now those teenagers can transition so young reminds me of that idea I had.

Tags: