Author Topic: Laser Questions  (Read 215 times)

Offline Daylight

• Neighbor
Laser Questions
« on: August 05, 2020, 05:06:03 pm »
I have a couple of questions about laser hair removal:

• Is there any system/machine that is better than others? The places I'm looking at now are using: Alma Harmony; GentleLase Pro; or Icon. Is there anything to this SHR technology that Alma advertises? Or is that just sales puffery? Is there some other system I should really be on the lookout for? I have fair skin and dark hair (probably type II) and am looking at just face/beard for now.
  • Has anyone had any luck getting any portion of laser treatment (or electrolysis) covered by insurance? Particularly in the US and California? If so, do you mind sharing the insurance company and what you had to do?

My guess is that the machines are so similar that it doesn't really matter, and that I won't be able to find an insurance plan that will cover it without me being full time for a year or more. But I would love to hear from someone that actually knows.

Love and peace!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:03:59 pm by Daylight »
39 years old and learning to be Megan :)

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
Re: Laser Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 08:32:49 pm »
I can't speask for laser coverage, but if you have Kaiser Permanente HMO insurance, they do cover some hair removal, especially pre-bottom surgery, i.e. in the genital area.  You need to call Kaiser and tell them where you live in California because there is a difference in some coverage's around the State.  As for other States, some cover the bottom clearing, again depending on the State and who you have for insurance.  Good luck and I hope this helps some.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Daylight

• Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 11:04:27 pm »
Thanks, Allie! I will be on the lookout for that. Every little bit helps.

Offline FloralAlyssa

• Female leaning non-binary
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 07:55:05 pm »
The place I'm using uses something called the GentleMax Pro, and I'm pretty happy with it.  6 sessions in, and my cheeks are basically clear and my upper lip/chin can go a full day without much stubble (but still shadow). 

Offline Daylight

• Neighbor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:45:47 am »
Thanks for sharing your experience, Alyssa! It helps to know other people are having success with it.

I've looked these up and the GentleMax Pro is a more versatile version of the GentleLase Pro that one of the places near me uses. The Max version can use either a 755 nm or 1064 nm treatment, whereas the Lase can only use the 755 nm. Based on my skin and hair types, I think I'd use the 755 nm anyway.

I have a follow-up question for you. They advertise these as having a 'Dynamic Cooling Device' that reduces the pain. I'm guessing you don't have anything to compare it to, but do you have any thoughts on the pain level and if this cooling seems to do anything to help?

Offline MichelleA

• The day I can be myself is the best day of my life
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 12:10:03 pm »
Thanks for sharing your experience, Alyssa! It helps to know other people are having success with it.

I've looked these up and the GentleMax Pro is a more versatile version of the GentleLase Pro that one of the places near me uses. The Max version can use either a 755 nm or 1064 nm treatment, whereas the Lase can only use the 755 nm. Based on my skin and hair types, I think I'd use the 755 nm anyway.

I have a follow-up question for you. They advertise these as having a 'Dynamic Cooling Device' that reduces the pain. I'm guessing you don't have anything to compare it to, but do you have any thoughts on the pain level and if this cooling seems to do anything to help?

The place I'm having my facial hair removal done at uses the Candela GentleLase Laser.
 (755nm)  I'm not sure if they use the 'Dynamic Cooling Device' but if they do it doesn't work.  Even though my face felt like it was on fire, the results are amazing.  I ended up with a perpetual 5 o'clock shadow for about 2 weeks while all the hair follicles were ejecting the hairs but it has reduced my facial hair growth by about 70% after one treatment not to mention smoothing out my skin.  My next session I will be opting for the numbing cream.

Finally discovered the real ME: September 5, 2019
Started HRT: September 20, 2019
Out to my wife: October 25, 2019
Out to my closest friends and family: February 9, 2020
Out at work: July 31, 2020

Offline FloralAlyssa

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 01:10:19 pm »
The upper lip is PAIN.  I involuntarily flinch every time they do it.  The rest of it hurts for a split second, but it mostly passes for me, and at this point the cheeks/side of jaw are so thinned out it's not too bad.  The first couple of sessions were rough, but it was worth it. 

Offline Daylight

• Neighbor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 02:07:54 pm »
Thanks, Michelle and Alyssa! I wish it wasn't going to be painful, but I appreciate being able to go in with realistic expectations.

Offline FloralAlyssa

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 02:46:31 pm »
I will say that it's never hurt after putting some aloe on it.  It's warm to the touch and red for an hour or two, but the pain is very short-lived, at least for me

Tags: