Author Topic: Does COVID-19 scare you? How has it changed your life?  (Read 619 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Does COVID-19 scare you? How has it changed your life?
« on: August 11, 2020, 07:23:10 pm »
Does COVID-19 scare you?  How has it changed your life?

Seeing people get sick and the thoughts that many more may, even with precautions taken, is a bit disquieting.  This is an uncomfortable time.  I hope you stay in good health.

Hugs,

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Haley Conner

Re: Does COVID-19 scare you? How has it changed your life?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 07:53:23 pm »
My career is in cryogenic suspension until people get it together.

Offline Susannah

• Neighbor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 08:21:05 pm »
I know many people blame politicians for many of these outbreaks of COVID 19 but frankly all of us need to take this seriously and take precautions.  Otherwise, no mandates and rules will be effective.  Now, it seems likely that this event will have to run its course.  There will not be any effective measures except delaying the inevitable.  I am not scared of the virus but the aftermath of the virus.  The world will be changed but to what extent?  Will it continue down the path of both liberals and conservatives doing their equal deeds to divide the world?   It is a frightening prospect.  I hope both sides come together and realize how foolish they were.  I know many of us are very much against conservatives but I run into plenty of hate spreading liberals too.  In light of the pandemic, none of these matters.  These virus are equally deadly to all people.  I changed to become more philosophical which is very odd to me.  I started to think about possibly transitioning because of the pandemic.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 08:51:26 pm »
I know many people blame politicians for many of these outbreaks of COVID 19 but frankly all of us need to take this seriously and take precautions.  Otherwise, no mandates and rules will be effective.  Now, it seems likely that this event will have to run its course.  There will not be any effective measures except delaying the inevitable.  I am not scared of the virus but the aftermath of the virus.  The world will be changed but to what extent?  Will it continue down the path of both liberals and conservatives doing their equal deeds to divide the world?   It is a frightening prospect.  I hope both sides come together and realize how foolish they were.  I know many of us are very much against conservatives but I run into plenty of hate spreading liberals too.  In light of the pandemic, none of these matters.  These virus are equally deadly to all people.  I changed to become more philosophical which is very odd to me.  I started to think about possibly transitioning because of the pandemic.

You are correct.

It is interesting that the pandemic impacted your thoughts on transitioning.

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline AnneK

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 09:49:19 pm »
I've been home A LOT for the past few months.  However, the politicians have certainly had a lot to do with the pandemic.  Many countries have done a decent job of containing it.  For example, I live in Canada and we've had a total of about 120,000 cases and 9,000 deaths since the pandemic began.  On the other hand, the U.S., with about 8.7x the population has had 5 million cases and almost 160,000 deaths with thousands more daily.  A large part of the problem is the politicians.  Even in the U.S., compare N.Y. with Florida.  Then there are a lot of covidiots that don't take things seriously and those who think businesses are more important than people.

BTW, I live in Ontario, the most populous (13.5 M) province in Canada.  We had 33 new cases today for the entire province and we're in stage 3 of the pandemic response.  That means businesses are open, though with some restrictions and wearing a mask in various businesses, on transit etc. is mandatory.
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Offline Susannah

• Neighbor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 09:57:06 pm »
I can never understand anti mask people. If there is 10% chance of lowering the odds of catching, I would wear it.  I believe it is much higher than 10%.  If these people were told there are 10% higher chance of winning the lottery, they would.  ;D

Offline Susannah

• Neighbor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 10:27:52 pm »
Even in the U.S., compare N.Y. with Florida.  Then there are a lot of covidiots that don't take things seriously and those who think businesses are more important than people.

Actually, this is very interesting study.  I am an engineer so that I look at numbers and analyze them more than just what is being told. 

NY - 451k total cases DETECTED with 33k death - 23k per 1 Mil people
FL - 542k total cases DETECTED with 8.5k death - 25k per 1 Mil people

With NY having nearly 4x more death, it is clearly obvious they had many more cases.  Frankly, it probably is like 10x higher around the world.  If I were to blame politicians, both governors were absolutely terrible at managing this. 

This is more of an assumption in my part but it is the cavalier attitude of Americans over the pandemic is to blame than any politicians.  So politicians such as the POTUS have had very bad responses, but why do people want to be told to do the right thing?   I think we all can think for ourselves and make the smart choices.  Government can only guide us.  We need to do the right thing.  As a society and the country (I live in the US), we all failed.  Not just politicians.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 03:10:47 am »
Does COVID-19 scare you?

I was frightened when I got it.

How has it changed your life?

We've been through an initial two weeks of self isolation, then a nationwide lockdown. Some things became very difficult to find in stores, and purchase limits were introduced. We are now out of lockdown, but masks have become the official guidance for public spaces.

Seeing people get sick and the thoughts that many more may, even with precautions taken, is a bit disquieting.  This is an uncomfortable time.  I hope you stay in good health.

Hugs,

Chrissy

I think it's important to protect ourselves, especially if there are underlying health concerns. I think it's also important to remember that for most people this is a very minor illness. The recovery rate is 96.3%.

I had a very uncomfortable week while sick with it, and there was some lasting fatigue and shortness of breath afterwards. All in all, my health has returned to normal.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 06:29:36 am »
@Devlyn I recently read that those who contract it, regardless of how severe can still experience organ damage, which shows up weeks afterward.  I am avoiding it "like the plague", because a) I am taking care of an elderly parent, and b) As a singer, lung damage would end my career permanently, most likely.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 12:15:39 pm »
Actually, this is very interesting study.  I am an engineer so that I look at numbers and analyze them more than just what is being told. 

NY - 451k total cases DETECTED with 33k death - 23k per 1 Mil people
FL - 542k total cases DETECTED with 8.5k death - 25k per 1 Mil people

With NY having nearly 4x more death, it is clearly obvious they had many more cases.  Frankly, it probably is like 10x higher around the world.  If I were to blame politicians, both governors were absolutely terrible at managing this. 

You missed a couple of key points.  NYC is a very densly populated area, not to mention just the sheer size of the population.  This makes transmission more likely.  On top of that, it's a major port of entry, with people coming from all over the world.  Also, they were hit early on in the pandemic and did what's necessary to beat it back.  This is quite a different situation from Florida, where there's a sheriff actually banning masks!  I expect there would be a lot fewer cases in Montana too, as there's barely enough people there to form a crowd.   ;)

https://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-sheriff-forbids-staff-visitors-wearing-masks/story?id=72325542
I'm a 66 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Offline AnneK

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 12:25:49 pm »
Here's a video that describes the difference between Canada & U.S. in this pandemic.  Also, one big difference here is the three levels of government are working together on this.

Offline Susannah

• Neighbor
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 02:42:36 pm »
Interesting point is that Seoul Korea is much more dense than NYC but they never had anything like NYC or in the US in general.  Also, South Korea never had the type of lockdown like in the US but managed well so far.  The officials in NYC did botch the responses.  No doubt about that.  The positive results are really bogus numbers at this point.  I agree FL is not doing well at all but I will not say NY is doing much better.  Many vulnerable population already lost their lives in NY.  Like I said before, this is a failure in national level including and especially general population. 

Offline RandyL

• Non-binary
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 03:10:44 pm »
It's difficult to measure the numbers of cases and to properly attribute deaths, whether to Covid or not. For example, if a person contracts Covid and dies of a heart attack, is it a Covid death or not? People who get sick and die at home without ever getting tested are often not categorized as Covid deaths. Also, some people are indirectly impacted by the crisis, getting worse healthcare etc. Are these Covid deaths?

A good way to cut through all this chaff is to look at excess deaths. There are very good statistics, derived over years, about how many people usually die in a particular place in a particular month. Now look how deaths have increased this year, and you can get a pretty good idea of the impact, both direct and indirect. This is true for any disaster, like Hurricane Sandy.

For an illustration, take a look at the statistics on the CDC's web site:
 https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm
Under "Weekly number of deaths (from all causes)" the graph shows that there was a spike in late-December to early-February (seasonal flu?).  Then starting the week of March 28th, we really spiked, reaching a high of 36-41% excess deaths the week of April 11th.  Data doesn't reach the CDC very quickly (local authorities have the latest data), but the week of July 25th shows us down to 13-17% excess deaths but possibly on an increasing trend.

You can find numbers like this for localities or states as well, but I just wanted to illustrate that although Covid may have official death rates below 5%, the actual overall risk in this time is much higher, at least in the US.
Casting about for my best path forward...

Offline Pammie

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 04:40:16 pm »
It's difficult to measure the numbers of cases and to properly attribute deaths, whether to Covid or not. For example, if a person contracts Covid and dies of a heart attack, is it a Covid death or not? People who get sick and die at home without ever getting tested are often not categorized as Covid deaths. Also, some people are indirectly impacted by the crisis, getting worse healthcare etc. Are these Covid deaths?

A good way to cut through all this chaff is to look at excess deaths. There are very good statistics, derived over years, about how many people usually die in a particular place in a particular month. Now look how deaths have increased this year, and you can get a pretty good idea of the impact, both direct and indirect. This is true for any disaster, like Hurricane Sandy.

For an illustration, take a look at the statistics on the CDC's web site:
 https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm
Under "Weekly number of deaths (from all causes)" the graph shows that there was a spike in late-December to early-February (seasonal flu?).  Then starting the week of March 28th, we really spiked, reaching a high of 36-41% excess deaths the week of April 11th.  Data doesn't reach the CDC very quickly (local authorities have the latest data), but the week of July 25th shows us down to 13-17% excess deaths but possibly on an increasing trend.

You can find numbers like this for localities or states as well, but I just wanted to illustrate that although Covid may have official death rates below 5%, the actual overall risk in this time is much higher, at least in the US.
Personally I do not over stress about it. I think taking the obvious precautions makes it pretty unlikely I’ll catch it and if I do the chances are it will be mild. Given a big percentage of people don’t even know they even had it then the survival rate for someone like me is very high. Life has many risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline IamKatrina

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 07:45:11 pm »
 I know I am late coming into this thread. But hey, I am a newbie...lol

Yes this virus does scare me. I have an 81 year old mother who lives in assisted living and was on lock down  for almost 3 months. They just had a staff member test positive and had to go back into lock down last month. They are just now coming out of that lock down.

Also my wife has a lot of serious health issues. So do I for that matter, but not as many as my wife. We have gone out of our way to take precautions. I do most of the running because she is terrified of getting this virus. But I only go out when I have to. We did have to be tested the first part of last month. I came down with some major aches from head to toe and came down with a nasty cough. Two or three days later Debi came down with the same thing. So we called our local Covid hotline and they felt we should be tested. The test came back negative on both us but we had to self quarantine for 15 days altogether. Which sucks!

On top of that, yesterday the county we live in issued a Covid warning for our area. Case numbers here have had a major spike. Many of which are in assisted living homes and nursing homes. It is scary stuff and I am so ready for things to get back to normal. But, it's 2020. And everything just seems to be getting crazier and crazier! Stay safe everyone!!
                                                                                   Hugs...Katrina
Life itself is a journey into self discovery

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 09:09:26 pm »
Two earlier threads on covid-19 here at Susan's:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,252068.0.html
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,252210.0.html

Here in S. Korea, the impact from the covid-19 was relatively minimal compared with other countries, but still it was substantial. As I am basically a government employee, I have had no economic loss. But, the self-employed people have suffered a lot, and some of them went bankrupt. As people can not travel abroad, they instead come to my hometown, the most popular destination of domestic tourism, Jeju island. Even in this well-protected island, there have been 53 cases of covid-19, and most of them occurred during the past one month. Despite virtually no lockdown or regulation on restaurants and hotels, the economic damages have been huge. Many car-rental companies went bankrupt. One of my friends here in Jeju island, a restaurant owner, has struggled to survive.

More ominous is the projections from the IHME of the University of Washington, USA:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/republic-of-korea?view=total-deaths&tab=trend

The total number of the covid-19 related death is so far about 300 here in S. Korea, but the projection is 18,910 COVID-19 deaths by December 31, 2020, an increase by a factor of more than 50. The projection for the world and Japan is also similar.

I worry about the 2nd wave in November and December.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 08:16:37 am »
I recently lost a cousin to covid19. She lived in FL and was one of the last few people from my family that I kept in touch with. The interesting thing is that her death opened up a lot of communications channels with my family so there was definitely a bright spot in all of this.

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 08:25:47 am »
I am very scared of Covid.. I have health issues that cause immunity problems, so I have been on the UK shielding list (as the most vulnerable in the UK)... Then my father caught it in March, fit and healthy and passed away in May...
Until there is a vaccine - I am not just scared, I am petrified of it....
The shielding has been lifted in the UK, but the doctors advice to me is too still be ultra-cautious. Whilst I do venture out now, occasionally, I take a lot of precautions.
It has instilled a huge amount of social anxiety too - just fear of being around people in case they are carriers. I really do need a vaccine... The weird thing, I also need a flu-jab (the usual annual one I have to have) but I am so scared of going into the doctors because of Covid, that I have not booked it yet...
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 08:37:32 am »
I still do not go out much at all but have this past month or so been less concerned about doing so when needing to mingle with the public.

I wear a mask when in stores or when with others.  However in the case of friends, we make decisions when together if we want each of us to all to wear a mark or not in private settings.  We do not want any one person concerned about not wearing masks to feel like an oddball so it is an all or none situation for mask wearing.  This is because we care about each other, and we care about what concerns each.

If I am on a walk, I will wear a mask when anyone is close, but remove it when not near anyone.
This is very easy to do when you have the mask on a lanyard or eyeglass holder arrangement. 

Chrissy

Offline SonadoraXVX

• In the here and now :)
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 04:55:01 pm »
The COVID pandemic has been a relief from the politics at work, now that I telework full time at home and hopefully for the forseable future. Yes, its sad that people have to die, maybe needlessly. Scared? Nah, I'm kinda desentisized, because I live in a rough part of town in L.A., you always have to have scruples everywhere you go here. Also maybe because I was a hard science major(took microbiology, chemistry, anatomy, and physiology) and know the history of pandemics, I know this will blow over in maybe at most 3 years. Yes, COVID will not go away, but at least promises of a vaccine is on the horizon(next year). Just another yearly shot added, just like the flu shot nowadays.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".