Author Topic: Does COVID-19 scare you? How has it changed your life?  (Read 618 times)

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
Re: Does COVID-19 scare you? How has it changed your life?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 11:07:11 pm »
I am very scared of Covid.. I have health issues that cause immunity problems, so I have been on the UK shielding list (as the most vulnerable in the UK)... Then my father caught it in March, fit and healthy and passed away in May...
Until there is a vaccine - I am not just scared, I am petrified of it....

I am sorry to hear your sad story.

I think even new vaccines will not ultimately solve the problems we face now. The world population is already exceeding the capacity of the earth, and more contagious and fatal types of virus will strike the world again and again until a new balance is made. The covid-19 is just a prologue, IMHO.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline JanePlain

• M2E2?2->ME
  • Finished questioning...
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 12:26:27 pm »
Put me down as very scared. In about 2 weeks we (world wide) will pass the million mark for deaths from Corona / Covid 19.  I think this site is of interest https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#total-deaths
Its just the numbers. I think anyone who thinks their country has a better system should look at this
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
You can sort by how many cases per million or deaths by the million (in population) and see just how messed up it is to gloat that any country with a large population has it figured out.  Its amazing that it seems to be everywhere.  Smaller population density helps. Living in an Artic region also. Its just very nasty stuff.

One graph in particular showing the total dead is rock steady so whatever we think we are doing its not good enough to budge that line going up at a steady rate and its no single countries fault. I've read that the second fastest supercomputer has crunched data on the Virus for two weeks and learned just how nasty this bug is. It can ruin your lungs so that no system can get air to you. It appears to go throught the blood brain barrier which may cause brain damage long term and it appears to also have a thing for ruining heart tissue so if your not concerned you are braver then I!

Individuals should understand that wearing the types of masks you see make it more difficult for you to cough up Covid on someone else. So to everyone who does THANK YOU! The life you save maybe mine! These masks (for the most part) don't protect you the other way around. In addition the science about putting people in closed rooms makes the social distancing pretty near worthless. And outdoors I think its literally which way the wind is blowing. So with my own medical issues I try to avoid people. Mask up when outdoors. Keep my hands washed after going anywhere and just a lot more often even just sitting at home. And if your using soap doing the ABC Song is about the right length of time for hand washing. Stuff we bring inside gets sprayed down or left untouched for a few days. When I go to the store I wipe down the cart. I resist the urge to pick up things and put them back and as stated before spray down everything after washing my hands / arms to the elboe when I get home. Sanatizer is our friend! Mine anyway

There are better ways to project yourself. Some good do it yourself filtered masks that have a filter small enough to do "some" good but... Not nearly perfect. There is a reason for the face shields. You don't have to breath it in. Which btw is another reason to keep you hands away from your face. Mouth, nose eyes are all easy access points resist the urge or use something other then your fingers. For groups of people walking around, hanging out in groups without masks? They are all potential Darwin Award "winners" and it saddens me to see this because they very likely will be making others sick by blowing off the most basic precautions.

I hope all of you are safe and will make it past this nightmare. I hope the links open some eyes to the serious nature of just how many people have already died and how many have been made sick and may well have long term health issues.

Stay safe! Please forget arguing politics and do what you need to do to take care of yourself and others around you. We can have a blame party or celebrate how you or your country delt with it after its over.

Offline Pammie

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 03:06:48 pm »
Put me down as very scared. In about 2 weeks we (world wide) will pass the million mark for deaths from Corona / Covid 19.  I think this site is of interest https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#total-deaths
Its just the numbers. I think anyone who thinks their country has a better system should look at this
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
You can sort by how many cases per million or deaths by the million (in population) and see just how messed up it is to gloat that any country with a large population has it figured out.  Its amazing that it seems to be everywhere.  Smaller population density helps. Living in an Artic region also. Its just very nasty stuff.

One graph in particular showing the total dead is rock steady so whatever we think we are doing its not good enough to budge that line going up at a steady rate and its no single countries fault. I've read that the second fastest supercomputer has crunched data on the Virus for two weeks and learned just how nasty this bug is. It can ruin your lungs so that no system can get air to you. It appears to go throught the blood brain barrier which may cause brain damage long term and it appears to also have a thing for ruining heart tissue so if your not concerned you are braver then I!

Individuals should understand that wearing the types of masks you see make it more difficult for you to cough up Covid on someone else. So to everyone who does THANK YOU! The life you save maybe mine! These masks (for the most part) don't protect you the other way around. In addition the science about putting people in closed rooms makes the social distancing pretty near worthless. And outdoors I think its literally which way the wind is blowing. So with my own medical issues I try to avoid people. Mask up when outdoors. Keep my hands washed after going anywhere and just a lot more often even just sitting at home. And if your using soap doing the ABC Song is about the right length of time for hand washing. Stuff we bring inside gets sprayed down or left untouched for a few days. When I go to the store I wipe down the cart. I resist the urge to pick up things and put them back and as stated before spray down everything after washing my hands / arms to the elboe when I get home. Sanatizer is our friend! Mine anyway

There are better ways to project yourself. Some good do it yourself filtered masks that have a filter small enough to do "some" good but... Not nearly perfect. There is a reason for the face shields. You don't have to breath it in. Which btw is another reason to keep you hands away from your face. Mouth, nose eyes are all easy access points resist the urge or use something other then your fingers. For groups of people walking around, hanging out in groups without masks? They are all potential Darwin Award "winners" and it saddens me to see this because they very likely will be making others sick by blowing off the most basic precautions.

I hope all of you are safe and will make it past this nightmare. I hope the links open some eyes to the serious nature of just how many people have already died and how many have been made sick and may well have long term health issues.

Stay safe! Please forget arguing politics and do what you need to do to take care of yourself and others around you. We can have a blame party or celebrate how you or your country delt with it after its over.
I have to say i’m not buying into the panic. If you look at how many people are dying every year - from flu, from cancer, from accidents then the Covid numbers get perspective. We’re so focused on this yet the number of cancer referrals has gone down by 80% in some cases - that’s going to cause so many deaths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 04:11:09 pm »
While I am not panicked by COVID-19 I do like to be safe.
That makes good sense to do so.

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 08:03:51 pm »
I'd say my job security has gone up, as I have the experience needed to do it remotely without supervision.
We've also been able to finally get rid of some costly expenses without the usual customer blow back.

I've been able to up my cooking skills up a notch, as a now have time to prep my meals hours beforehand and let them rest as required.  I've added breads to my repertoire.

I am very cautious, as most of the folks I know are in one high risk category or another.  And it isn't easy being sick when you live alone.  I've been shopping when the stores aren't busy.  And have fully stocked up on canned goods and other non-perishable supplies in just in case.

Marion

Offline JanePlain

• M2E2?2->ME
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 09:32:37 pm »
I have to say i’m not buying into the panic. If you look at how many people are dying every year - from flu, from cancer, from accidents then the Covid numbers get perspective. We’re so focused on this yet the number of cancer referrals has gone down by 80% in some cases - that’s going to cause so many deaths

Well... no one says you have to buy into anything. But I would do the math. When I was still quite young the country was up in arms because of the Vietnam war dead. From wikipedia its says that 47,424 US soldiers died in the war.Before that in the Korean War 33.686 Soldiers lost their lives. Going back to WWII 291,557 Soldiers died and in WWI 53,402 died. If you go back further to the Civil War the Union Army lost 140,000 and the Confederacy 94,000.  Add all these together and you don't reach the current number of people who had died from Covid19 and I think some countries like China are simply not reporting anything so that a panic is avoided or blame is assigned.

If you just take the US Covid deaths you can add up the dead from 2 Vietnam wars and 3 Korean war dead and Covid still outkills and this is just in the USA alone in the span of the last 181 days. Should people Panic? I'm not sure why that comes up because rushing around screaming probably just makes it worse but its difficult for me to see it as no worse then the common flu. You can get innoculation for the flu which many people blow ff and I think last year it was somewhere near 34,000 people died. Nothing can be taken to make you immune from Covid19 so the best any of us can do is recognize its serious. Its killing a lot of people in a very short span of time and ignoring doing what we can to slow the spread is the best we can do. I think the worst thing we can do is ignore it or pretend its not serious and end up spreading if faster.

Here is a good visual on how fast Covid spreads versus the common flu and why this is a very poor argument.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/health/flu-vs-coronavirus-deaths/index.html

Can't say much about deaths versus cancer deaths because I don't know those numbers.

However... I've had Cancer so maybe my experience will help explain why I think its important to take Covid19 seriously. If I had ignored it I would be (without question) dead. It was even suggested to me by cancer doctors that I should consider ignoring it because some strains were slow growing. They called it "Watchful waiting" Unfortunately for my uncles, and father who went that route we ALL got the bad kind that killed two of them horribly and quite fast indeed. My other uncle took some action (late) and was able to die slower after undergoing castration and cross hormone therapy to slow its spread. I was informed by the surgeon mine was removed at the very last minute because it was about to burst open and spread into everything. I had to press hard to get treatment so my experience is that its wise to take deadly things like cancer, covid19 and yes eveb the flu seriously.

The Darwin Awards for people who die of Covid or have damaged hearts lungs or brains from it will be a long list because I think we have a mindset that its more important to be concerned about panic then taking rational steps to keep ourselves safe from what ails us.

I'll end my rant by saying all of us have to be proactive about our health care and please wear a mask even if you don't "believe" in Covid19. Some of us do and think its impolite to have you cough up death by strangling on our own fluids.

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 04:49:32 am »
Being highly vulnerable to infections like this (even flu could wipe me out) I have always taken it as my responsibility to protect myself. So the hand-washing, avoiding crowds and enclosed spaces with other non-family members was my norm before this started...

Covid is a little different.. Since March nearly 1 million worldwide have died to this one strain.. Flu (which is a mix of lots of different viruses) normally kills 290,000 to 650,000 per year. This is in relation to over a billion people a year catching flu and so far reported cases of Covid top at 29 million... (figures from John Hopkins Medicine)..
having this virus in the environment is killing more people.. Simply by wearing a mask when outside you limit the spread of it (and little evidence of it protecting you) but is it not the protection of others that should be foremost? Saying that you are not at risk and not worried about it is akin to saying you don't mind if others die.

I begged my father not to go to Spain in early March when I read reports of this emerging - A fit and healthy man in his 60's he thought he was invulnerable. On his return, I banned my daughter from seeing him for 2 weeks. Both of them thought I was over-reacting and 'being silly'... A week later he was in hospital.. 2 months on a ventilator and finally all his organs gave out and he passed away...   I hate, hate, hate the fact that I was right...

Myself and millions of other vulnerable people are doing everything to protect themselves - please help by following the guidelines and limiting the spread - regardless if you think it effects you or not..It clearly is saving lives.
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Pammie

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 08:13:30 am »
Well... no one says you have to buy into anything. But I would do the math. When I was still quite young the country was up in arms because of the Vietnam war dead. From wikipedia its says that 47,424 US soldiers died in the war.Before that in the Korean War 33.686 Soldiers lost their lives. Going back to WWII 291,557 Soldiers died and in WWI 53,402 died. If you go back further to the Civil War the Union Army lost 140,000 and the Confederacy 94,000.  Add all these together and you don't reach the current number of people who had died from Covid19 and I think some countries like China are simply not reporting anything so that a panic is avoided or blame is assigned.

If you just take the US Covid deaths you can add up the dead from 2 Vietnam wars and 3 Korean war dead and Covid still outkills and this is just in the USA alone in the span of the last 181 days. Should people Panic? I'm not sure why that comes up because rushing around screaming probably just makes it worse but its difficult for me to see it as no worse then the common flu. You can get innoculation for the flu which many people blow ff and I think last year it was somewhere near 34,000 people died. Nothing can be taken to make you immune from Covid19 so the best any of us can do is recognize its serious. Its killing a lot of people in a very short span of time and ignoring doing what we can to slow the spread is the best we can do. I think the worst thing we can do is ignore it or pretend its not serious and end up spreading if faster.

Here is a good visual on how fast Covid spreads versus the common flu and why this is a very poor argument.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/health/flu-vs-coronavirus-deaths/index.html

Can't say much about deaths versus cancer deaths because I don't know those numbers.

However... I've had Cancer so maybe my experience will help explain why I think its important to take Covid19 seriously. If I had ignored it I would be (without question) dead. It was even suggested to me by cancer doctors that I should consider ignoring it because some strains were slow growing. They called it "Watchful waiting" Unfortunately for my uncles, and father who went that route we ALL got the bad kind that killed two of them horribly and quite fast indeed. My other uncle took some action (late) and was able to die slower after undergoing castration and cross hormone therapy to slow its spread. I was informed by the surgeon mine was removed at the very last minute because it was about to burst open and spread into everything. I had to press hard to get treatment so my experience is that its wise to take deadly things like cancer, covid19 and yes eveb the flu seriously.

The Darwin Awards for people who die of Covid or have damaged hearts lungs or brains from it will be a long list because I think we have a mindset that its more important to be concerned about panic then taking rational steps to keep ourselves safe from what ails us.

I'll end my rant by saying all of us have to be proactive about our health care and please wear a mask even if you don't "believe" in Covid19. Some of us do and think its impolite to have you cough up death by strangling on our own fluids.
Again, and this is a recurring problem on this theme, where did I say i don’t believe in COVID? I’m not saying one shouldn’t take some precautions and I certainly wear a mask indoors with others and I follow social distancing but I refuse to go into panic mode and I want it to be put in perspective- my point about cancer is extremely important because a side effect of COVID panic is the massive drop in cancer referrals which as you eloquently explained you know can be lethal. Add in the hidden costs of depression, alcohol abuse, domestic abuse and you get a massive hidden cost of inducing panic

Offline JanePlain

• M2E2?2->ME
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 01:52:04 pm »
Again, and this is a recurring problem on this theme, where did I say i don’t believe in COVID? I’m not saying one shouldn’t take some precautions and I certainly wear a mask indoors with others and I follow social distancing but I refuse to go into panic mode and I want it to be put in perspective- my point about cancer is extremely important because a side effect of COVID panic is the massive drop in cancer referrals which as you eloquently explained you know can be lethal. Add in the hidden costs of depression, alcohol abuse, domestic abuse and you get a massive hidden cost of inducing panic

I simply believe you equated it as nothing special versus the common flu. And not going to let it panic you I suppose I stretched that to believe you were saying it wasn't going to change your day to day life. I live in an area where we have people gathering elboe to elboe without masks marching in protest against people restricting their "rights"  or in this case to gather in large groups and create hot spots of people with this truly horrible way to die. I think people should be "alarmed" and they should take action. That is not the same as panic of course so I take your point but I feel it leaves the wrong impression. If you believed in Covid19's seriousness you wouldn't compare it to the flu. And Cancer is (I think) a poor analogy. If you use all forms of cancer and all ways people get cancer you won't find much to match it in number other then heart disease.

I don't want to be the drum banger for Covid19 but Sarah is correct. Protecting yourself from someone infected is MUCH more difficult then it is for someone who is sick limiting the number of people they infect. Masks that can filter Covid19? Well nothing I've seen retail does that. And again the face shields, gloves and disposable garments that health care people wear (And still get sick) aren't likely to be on store shelves anytime soon. Wearing a mask limits you infecting others.

If anyone needs a reason to be alarmed or more concerned see the results of two weeks of supercomputer crunching on how they believe Covid19 hurts or kills people. Be aware that this is still only one of several theories on how it works
https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63
When I read this I was chilled to the core. This is nasty stuff.

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 04:20:27 pm »
Does COVID-19 scare you?  How has it changed your life?

Seeing people get sick and the thoughts that many more may, even with precautions taken, is a bit disquieting.  This is an uncomfortable time.  I hope you stay in good health.

Hugs,

Chrissy

I've had it. And come out the other side. When by all rights I shouldn't have. No it doesn't scare me, personally. The effect it's had on the world does scare me, though. It terrifies me. The long term effects of the world scrambling to contain it... that scares me a great deal.

Right now it's the flippancy of some people I know personally which... bothers me. This is a thing. It's a thing which kills people. And because it might not kill you doesn't mean that it doesn't kill other people. This is kind of the message the UK government has been giving out lately. Younger people are shrugging it off and thinking that because they likely won't die from it, that they shouldn't be forced to be told that they need to take precautions and infringe on their civil liberties. It seems to be an attitude of "I'm okay so to hell with everyone else." And that's... a very scary thing.

I think in one way or another, this virus has changed everyone's lives. Some people have learned what it means to value a life... some people have learned that they don't really care and discovered a very selfish streak.

Offline Pammie

Does COVID-19 scare you? How has it changed your life?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2020, 04:33:32 pm »
In 2017/18 winter there were 50k excess deaths in the UK alone , attributed to flu. Even with a vaccine. That is also horrible but we didn’t stop the country. Yes we should be wearing masks indoors and on public transport and we should practice social distancing BUT please let’s not go into panic mode or we will kill far more people than COVID could. That’s all i’m saying. We can’t go back to full lockdown for those reasons.

Offline Sephirah

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2020, 04:55:16 pm »
In 2017/18 winter there were 50k excess deaths in the UK alone , attributed to flu. Even with a vaccine. That is also horrible but we didn’t stop the country.

Pammie, that's a bit disingenuous. Look at all the deaths in the UK even WITH the lockdown. According to research, locking down the country stopped close to half a million more deaths. That's in a totally different league to the flu.

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/uncategorised/lockdown-stopped-470k-covid-19-deaths-in-uk-say-researchers/

Offline Pammie

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 01:31:30 pm »
Pammie, that's a bit disingenuous. Look at all the deaths in the UK even WITH the lockdown. According to research, locking down the country stopped close to half a million more deaths. That's in a totally different league to the flu.

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/uncategorised/lockdown-stopped-470k-covid-19-deaths-in-uk-say-researchers/
I think this is a case of lies, damn lies and statistics. For every researcher saying that there is at least one saying something far less than that.
But anyway, i’m actually not saying the original lockdown was wrong, i’m saying we can’t keep on panicking and we must get perspective