Author Topic: Post Orchiectomy will they grow back!!!!!  (Read 330 times)

Offline Carla68

• Friend
Post Orchiectomy will they grow back!!!!!
« on: August 13, 2020, 05:10:44 am »
Hi All,

A little light hearted this post but it does highlight how little is known by Joe public

On my way home from my post op checkup I posted on my facebook account that all had gone well and with what I thought was a joke ended with surgeon has confirmed they are not growing back

I had many responses of congratulations but I also got quite a few responses asking and then sparking further debate if they could grow back!!

Anyone else been asked if they can grow back?

worryingly do they?

Carla

Carla

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Post Orchiectomy will they grow back!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:23:29 am »
Everybody knows that this type of surgery is permanent. I can only think that some people are taking your little joke to the extreme with their absurd comments.  ::)

The only question I was asked post op is "Why?"

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 05:52:37 am »
I've learned to always watch a mans face when I tell him I had my testicles cut off...great fun.  >:-) :laugh:

After surgery, when things had calmed down a bit downstairs, I could feel the "knots" and thought I might be stuck with them. As time passed they diminished and with nothing left to hold, the scrotum has contracted right up against my body.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
  • Neighbor
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 06:17:22 am »
Devlyn, I watch for the same thing!  I also find it hilarious when I am speaking on TG issues to college students..... I do a bit where I begin to describe the GCS surgery for MtF humans.  The looks the males give is hilarious and I generally stop my description before I panic them too much. Lol, too fun!

Uh, yeah, never had anyone ask if they would grow back though.

Offline Carla68

• Friend
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 06:21:58 am »
Everybody knows that this type of surgery is permanent. I can only think that some people are taking your little joke to the extreme with their absurd comments.  ::)

Hi Rakel,

TBH the first comment was from a Trans friend and probably light hearted but then someone pointed out that the liver can regenerate and I think the comments after that were looking for confirmation either way just to be sure

Carla
Carla

Offline Carla68

• Friend
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 06:28:59 am »
I've learned to always watch a mans face when I tell him I had my testicles cut off...great fun.  >:-) :laugh:

After surgery, when things had calmed down a bit downstairs, I could feel the "knots" and thought I might be stuck with them. As time passed they diminished and with nothing left to hold, the scrotum has contracted right up against my body.

Yes I have already noticed that there is a wince or swerving of hips when you mention the operation, I am kind of missing the immobility from after op when I could answer peoples question of why I was moving that way

Thank you for mentioning the knots have had a little check and did notice that. The surgeon said the same thing and also that in 4-5 months if I felt it was still too much and didn't want to go for full GCS could be trimmed back

Carla
Carla

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 07:05:41 am »
Devlyn, I watch for the same thing!  I also find it hilarious when I am speaking on TG issues to college students..... I do a bit where I begin to describe the GCS surgery for MtF humans.  The looks the males give is hilarious and I generally stop my description before I panic them too much. Lol, too fun!

Uh, yeah, never had anyone ask if they would grow back though.

I've been participating in a module for 5th year medical students with my wife for the last couple of years. It's to help them understand the issues that LGBTIQA+ patients may face. After the formal module we break off into focus groups with around 20 students, and if they're lucky enough to be in a group with Megan or myself, no questions are off the table. Breaking the ice and getting the first student to ask a question can be the tricky part.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline DebbieB

• Debbie Ballard: IT Architect & Author
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 10:44:02 pm »
I remember going in to discuss getting a vasectomy.  During the preliminary session with the nurse, I told her that I really wanted an orchiectomy.  She spent several minutes trying to explain all of the "horrible" things that would happen if I did that, the breasts, no erections, things getting smaller, and so on.  I was in stitches by the time she was done, but I had to remember that she not only didn't know that I was transgender, but assumed that I was a cisgender heterosexual male seeking a vasectomy to prevent and future pregnancies.

Even during the procedure, I waited until he had me open and told him I wanted "$40 worth of insurance".

He wanted to know why and I told him "If the tube grows back, and there is a 1 in 4,000 chance that it might, it would cost me around $160,000 in child support and I wanted the insurance policy to pay it.

I was hoping he would take that as the hint that I really did want them removed, but instead I smelled burning, tugging, and to "thunks".  He said "I've stitched it, cauterized it, and stapled it to the bone, if it grows back, I will pay the child support.

When I finally went in for the real orchiectomy, I had to explain to the doctor that I wanted him to pull the staples and leave the scrotal tissue in case I want to get a vagina in the future.  He offered a penectomy, but I realized that I wanted to keep the head so that if I did get a vaginoplasty, they could make a clitorus.  Even so, I was so small that I would have needed some sigmoid colon to get any depth.

I didn't really want a vaginoplasty because I didn't want to have to dilate alone all the time and my wife didn't want to use a strap-on.

Most cisgender people don't know the difference between a vasectomy and an orchiectomy.  If the doctor only cuts the tubes, there is a very slim chance that one of the tubes could grow back enough to result in an unplanned pregnancy.

Of course, more often, these "miraculous growths" are a woman getting pregnant by another man and wanting the sterile man to pay the child support.

Debbie Ballard - IT Architect
1st Transition 1988 to 1997 - detransitioned
2nd Transition 2010
HRT since 2011
Full Time since 2012

Tags: