Author Topic: Unintended sparkliness....  (Read 790 times)

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
Unintended sparkliness....
« on: August 22, 2020, 11:49:25 pm »
Looking for a bit of advice- I was out with my kids today, a nice bright sunny day, and my oldest said "Your face is sparkly in the bright sun, are you also secretly a vampire?"  While I'm neither Team Jacob nor Team Edward but fully Team Bella- in all seriousness sparkly skin seems like a dangerous red flag.  What I had on was-

Clinique Beyond Perfecting Foundation + Concealer in "Flax"
wet n wild Coloricon Bronzer in "Palm Beach Ready"
Maybelline Lasting Fix Matte Setting Spray

I've been using the bronzer instead of powder so I don't look so pasty (Because I thought THAT made me look like a vampire- :) ).  The only thing that I can think of is I actually need a matte pressed powder and then the bronzer. 

Any help appreciated.

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
Re: Unintended sparkliness....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:13:16 am »
I'm not familiar with the specific products you mentioned.  However, in my experience some makeup products will leave quite a shine on your face.  This has come up with COVID recently and the amount of time I am on camera on a Zoom call and noticing my shiny face.  I have had to adjust my own makeup to try and look better on camera.  I definitely do things differently.  But I had to experiment a bit to find out what was causing it.  Part of it was my blush, but the other part was my setting spray.  I use Urban Decay's setting spray and it leaves me with quite a shine.  Thus I go over it with my setting powder brush very lightly and it removes the shine. 

If you can't determine what is giving you the sparkles, go to a makeup counter and ask.  That would probably be the easiest way out.

Offline Birdie on a Wire

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 08:32:23 am »
It’s been a while since I’ve delved deeply into makeup products but if I remember right there are some that use zinc oxide or something that is used as an SPF that can cause “flashback” with flash photography and have one looking like a kabuki actor.

Some foundations and/or bronzers will have like a “pearlesence” of sorts that helps a girl “glow up”.

Ugh... I can’t remember.  Ok... now this is going to bother me until I figure out what this is.

I think some of the “photo ready” foundations and other products are ones that don’t have that glittery effect. You might try searching “no makeup look”.  That might help you find products that will prevent that.

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 11:24:55 am »
Thanks Nadine and Birdie on a Wire-

This gives me somewhere to start- All my searches before ended up being seen as "how to remove glitter makeup" :)  I'm glad it seems like more of a product thing than a technique- I'll experiment with some products and see what I can come up with.

Nadine- The ladies at Sephora actually recommended Urban Decay's Ultra-Matte setting spray- are you using a translucent setting powder?

Birdie on a Wire-  This was actually my attempt to use as little product as I could and still have an even skin tone :)  My bronzer advertises "Sun-kissed glow", so I'll try with a basic pressed powder and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again ladies- It's tough having months of experience instead of a whole lifetime.

Caela

Offline madeleine

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 02:32:22 pm »
I've definitely noticed that bronzers are often sparkly.  I'd say leave that off next time and see what happens.

Also, I didn't know vampires were sparkly?  I would have guessed more like fairies and unicorns? :)

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 02:34:26 pm »
Yep sounds like the bronzer, just looked up the ingredients for your one and it has  Titanium Dioxide & mica in it. That does not look too bad in artificial light, but in sunlight it sparkles...

I just use a BB cream and a flat matt powder most of the time.

Your kids sound ace!

from the web
Mica is one of the most important mineral ingredients in cosmetics, used widely to add shimmer and sparkle. Basically if a product has a shimmer effect, it's almost definitely mica. It is also popular in skincare products designed to create a glow effect, particularly those marketed as brightening or illuminating

Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 02:57:24 pm »
Also, I didn't know vampires were sparkly?  I would have guessed more like fairies and unicorns? :)

It's from the Twilight books and movies.  Vampires in those books live in Forks, Washington where it rains a lot and they can live around other people without standing out by being sparkly in the sun!

Caela

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 06:20:05 pm »
Yep sounds like the bronzer, just looked up the ingredients for your one and it has  Titanium Dioxide & mica in it. That does not look too bad in artificial light, but in sunlight it sparkles...

I just use a BB cream and a flat matt powder most of the time.

Your kids sound ace!

from the web
Mica is one of the most important mineral ingredients in cosmetics, used widely to add shimmer and sparkle. Basically if a product has a shimmer effect, it's almost definitely mica. It is also popular in skincare products designed to create a glow effect, particularly those marketed as brightening or illuminating

Thanks Sarah- 

Today's experiment had the bronzer removed and Neutrogena's SkinClearing Mineral powder in it's place- I left everything else the same.  No Mica on the ingredients that I can see... and at first glance is overly matte and no sparkles!  So I spent a few minutes talking with the ladies at Sephora, and came home with a transparent and a cream powders that didn't have mica in their ingredients.. and a bunch of other single try samples to boot.  So more experimenting to come!

And I'm so very grateful for my kids and their support.  For all the change that this year has brought us- it's also brought us all much closer together.

Caela

Offline madeleine

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 09:58:52 pm »
It's from the Twilight books and movies.  Vampires in those books live in Forks, Washington where it rains a lot and they can live around other people without standing out by being sparkly in the sun!

Caela

Today I Learned.

Offline madeleine

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 10:00:41 pm »
Yes Caela, when your kid supports you that is a great feeling.

Your photo in your avatar looks great!  All the women in this thread look great!

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 12:34:31 am »
Yes Caela, when your kid supports you that is a great feeling.

Your photo in your avatar looks great!  All the women in this thread look great!

Thanks Madeleine! 

Caela

Tags: