Author Topic: The biggest one or two things that make you perceived to be female  (Read 6335 times)

Offline Pammie

Re: The biggest one or two things that make you perceived to be female
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2020, 05:40:01 pm »
The more I think of this, I think it is my nurturing persona.
My appearance is changing too for the better but when it comes down to it, a nice and loving nature the permeates even shabby treatment and unthoughtful words are signs of graciousness.

We should project good images.  I think that is not optional.

Chrissy

You come across like that on this board Chrissy. You are right in that image helps xxx

I opened the door and the light shone in

Offline BrightWindow

• Friend
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2020, 11:10:26 am »
I created a thread of sex perception factors:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,250812.0.html

Really anything in the very major category on its own can be the difference between passing really well and not passing that well at all, though it depends on the person, but as a generalisation, if I had to choose just two:

#1 Amount of facial hair
#2 Clothing and accessory choices

I used to know a cis woman who basically had a male facial structure (I know a lot of people just say "face" but I use this term to exclusively refer to the physical arrangement, shape, and proportional sizes of features on the face, as the overall image of the face is also affected by facial hair, make-up, hairstyles, and more) and no-one suggested that she was male, so I don't think that one is 100% necessary if everything else is good enough.

For me personally I think the biggest things would be my (scalp) hair and clothing choices, since I'm still at the stage where most people would read my body as male on its own, so I need to make an effort to send a signal that I'm a woman. I do wear make-up sometimes, and I put a bit of effort into hair removal, but really I'd say these are the most powerful ways in which I'm able to send that signal.
Profile picture credit:
"Nastasia (Modern)" by fawfulthegreat64
https://www.deviantart.com/fawfulthegreat64/art/Nastasia-Modern-Super-Paper-Mario-10th-676052566
Used with consent.

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2020, 04:39:52 pm »
Mannerism definitely. 

This was my only giveaway.  I tried to pass off as a guy for the longest time.  I had to so I could fit into the big business roles.  Unfortunately, I'd occasionally do something that gave things away a little.  I really had to pay attention.   Most men wouldn't catch it, but women are quick to lock in on it.  For me, it was mainly the speed at which I talk.  I talk quick and sharp.  Not light or anything, my voice is super deep.   It was that speed and where I'd pause in sentences women would take a double take on and never knew exactly what was off.  They always knew though.    None ever said a word.   

When I finally came out to my GF, she immediately exclaimed "That's what it was!" and explained it.   

Offline Sophiaprincess2019

• www.tickerfactory.com
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2020, 04:59:22 pm »
Mine is definitely the downward slope-angle of my shoulders and clothing that completes my womanly look. I noticed this for the 1st time the other day when I caught a reflection of my silhouette and I thought "That's definitely a change" - for the better! I used to have very square looking shoulders but since I've been loosing muscle at an alarming rate it changed the look of my outline to look more feminine. My body is definitely taking on a more lady like appearance!

I have to wear makeup to look female otherwise I still get weird looks. I imagine that's going to continue until FFS and who knows, maybe after?

Sophia

1968 Assigned male at birth with feminine mannerisms
1978 Dolls and dresses
1988 Experimental stage, limited makeup and clothes
1998 Denial continues, unsuccessfully tried living as a man
12-8-2018 time for a change....
2-21-2019 Started HRT
2-21-2020 One year HRT
2-21-2021 Two years HRT

Offline Heather A

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2020, 07:14:24 pm »
I would have to go with Hair and Mannerism because that gets me identified as female more than anything.  I'm still presenting as male irl so I only get identified as female from behind at the moment.

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2020, 08:41:31 pm »
I'm pretty flat-chested and I wear sweats 95% of the time for comfort. I rarely wear makeup.

Like Nikita, i think it's face and voice. Skin is also important. I have a gay nephew who shaves his body hair, but even then, it doesn't look like a woman's skin. Being thin also helps. Many women work hard to be thin, so much so that it's become a gender marker.

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2020, 04:53:06 am »
Many women work hard to be thin, so much so that it's become a gender marker.

Heh, I live in a pretty small town area and I realized even at 200 pounds I would probably will be the thinnest woman around.   Of course, I am still losing weight so it'll be even more dramatic of a difference.  I think it's a northern thing to keep a few extra pounds.   I'm too much of a big city type for being that heavy to work for me so I have an idea of what you mean.       

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2020, 06:51:02 am »
Heh, I live in a pretty small town area and I realized even at 200 pounds I would probably will be the thinnest woman around.   Of course, I am still losing weight so it'll be even more dramatic of a difference.  I think it's a northern thing to keep a few extra pounds.   I'm too much of a big city type for being that heavy to work for me so I have an idea of what you mean.     

For sure, it's not a gender marker everywhere. When you become thin, you'll actually be a member of a different minority, since 70% of Americans are overweight. However, being thin in New England isn't uncommon.

Offline JennyTG

• Family
  • Don't dream it, be it!
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2020, 01:38:24 pm »
I would have to go with Hair and Mannerism because that gets me identified as female more than anything.

Same.  Passing isn't an issue though and it never will be.

~Jenny~
~Declaring my love for all things Feminine at every opportunity~

~I’m just another transfemme making her way in the world, please be kind out there~

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2020, 06:37:51 pm »
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2020, 06:38:36 pm »
You come across like that on this board Chrissy. You are right in that image helps xxx

I opened the door and the light shone in

That is nice of you to say.  Thank you.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2020, 07:57:02 am »
Mine is definitely the downward slope-angle of my shoulders and clothing that completes my womanly look. I noticed this for the 1st time the other day when I caught a reflection of my silhouette and I thought "That's definitely a change" - for the better! I used to have very square looking shoulders but since I've been loosing muscle at an alarming rate it changed the look of my outline to look more feminine. My body is definitely taking on a more lady like appearance!

I have to wear makeup to look female otherwise I still get weird looks. I imagine that's going to continue until FFS and who knows, maybe after?

Sophia

My shoulders are so straight that you could sit Hummel figurines on them and I quite like them that way.

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2020, 08:03:07 am »

My shoulders are so straight that you could sit Hummel figurines on them and I quite like them that way.

The Hummels, or the shoulders?  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline Angel Lee

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2020, 08:51:38 am »
For me it's 3 things, breast, voice and mannerisms

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2020, 09:58:27 am »
The Hummels, or the shoulders?  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn

Ha! Both, natch.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
The biggest one or two things that make you perceived to be female
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2020, 07:22:19 pm »
Well it is not simply using a handbag or purse.  I still have one slip off my shoulder too often.  Perhaps I should try some Velcro to stop those slippery straps.  :)

I still think that always having a nice and loving nature the permeates even shabby treatment and unthoughtful words are signs of graciousness that every woman should display.

We should project good images.  I think that is not optional.  A woman should come across as kind and gracious.

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2021, 09:07:35 pm »
Voice and appearance are significant.

Chrissy

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2021, 09:19:32 pm »
Voice  and  Body  (i.e. clothing, face, nails, hair, boobs)
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline EvaB

This is more a question than a statement.  In another post that I created for BA sizes, I have been studying breasts, naturally.  Over my journey through this and other sites, I recall that women's breasts are closer together than men's.  I am not certain this is true and have no proof that it is, but I ask if the positioning of the breasts (and sometimes when the proportionality of the breast in the context of the whole body) is at least a subtle but confusing gender marker?
Is cleavage a marker or is it a phenomenon of the bra a woman chooses?

Perplexed Eva...
"You cannot be happy if you are not joyful about something.  When you find this joy, happiness, grace, and virtue will follow.  The Way of the dog is to find this joy every day and to never give up this search." - Said to Eros, the Metaphysical Dog by his mother, Skylark.  Good advice for human's too!

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
I think that cleavage increases when the breasts are closer together and cleavage is directly proportional to breast volume.  Females tend to have larger breasts than men so for that reason alone they tend to have more cleavage than most men do.  Breast separation may indeed be generally lower in females than in males.

Chrissy

Tags: