Author Topic: Top Surgery Approved!  (Read 476 times)

Offline EZ Linus

• Lovable Non-binary Person
Top Surgery Approved!
« on: August 28, 2020, 04:18:42 pm »
My top surgery for a double mastectomy has been approved--finally! I don't have to appeal the referral to the insurance company after all. It was resubmitted from the doctor with all the notes and letters (properly) and now I'm good to go. I just wanted to tell everyone here. I'm so happy!  :D

Thank you everyone for being so supportive. It really helped.

Offline Maid Marion

Re: Top Surgery Approved!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 04:27:18 pm »
Hi EZ Linus,

Congratulations!

Marion

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 05:32:21 pm »
Congratulations!  About when may you have the surgery?

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline FloralAlyssa

• No-op Trans woman / NB
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:10:24 pm »
Congrats Linus!  Awesome news.

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 07:58:07 pm »
@EZ_Linus
Wowzers!!!  This is wonderful news.    Please keep us updated with your proposed surgery date so we can be sending our positive thoughts and our prayers for you. 
We are your biggest fans and are always rooting for your success and happiness.

I will be eagerly looking for your updates as you feel comfortable sharing them.

HUGS and HUGS,
Danielle

My top surgery for a double mastectomy has been approved--finally! I don't have to appeal the referral to the insurance company after all. It was resubmitted from the doctor with all the notes and letters (properly) and now I'm good to go. I just wanted to tell everyone here. I'm so happy!  :D

Thank you everyone for being so supportive. It really helped.

***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline EZ Linus

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 07:30:54 am »
Thank you for the wonderful support everyone. I really feel it and appreciate it.

I got approved for the first consultation and the follow-up surgery. I won't schedule the surgery until the beginning of the year though so I can take off more weight. I'd like to get my BMI down as much as possible to ensure the safest possible surgery since I have some health issues. It's hard to be patient, but I am on a wise diet.

I will keep you posted after I get the consult.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 07:54:19 am »
Hi EZ Linus,

Good luck with the weight loss.  It will become easier to find stylish clothes as you lose weight.

Marion

Offline EZ Linus

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 08:23:53 am »
Hi EZ Linus,

Good luck with the weight loss.  It will become easier to find stylish clothes as you lose weight.

Marion

Thanks Marion--don't I know it. I used to look so good in clothes when I was thin. Now it's been just terrible to find anything that looks decent on me. I am looking forward to that time again. But it's a slow process. The slower you lose weight, the less likely you'll gain it back. That's what my doctor says.

Offline EZ Linus

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 09:01:59 am »
I have now had two consultations with top surgeons and one went really well. I think I found my surgeon, but I still want to get another opinion. It won't be easy because I'll have to go out-of-network to do so. My insurance only has three surgeons in their network. One (the guy I saw who I like) and the two others that are really not options. One lost his license for a couple of years for gross negligence. The other has not worked with transgender people. He's just a plastic surgeon.

I paid out-of-pocket for the second consultation and she questioned my decisions. She even wanted me to have my doctors' letters rewritten to be more specific about not having nipples and asked me three times, "why???" and she is supposed to have worked with non-binary folks before. She even said it was not really normal and it was a permanent surgery, yadda yadda. Yes, I know. Why would I go through everything I'm going through if I didn't know this?

I checked this against all the genderqueer people I know that have had this exact surgery and they said this was not the surgeon for me and that none of them had to change their letters to specify how they wanted their nipples grafted or not grafted. It should be a preference left up to the patient, not the doctor. Nor should the doctor judge the patient for this preference.

Anyway, no biggie. Just some money down the drain, though I did ask about this before the consultation and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I came to find out at the end of the consultation she'd never performed a surgery like that before.

So, onward to the next consultation. I thought I'd keep everyone in the loop. :)

So far, I like the guy my insurance company sent me to. I just want to make doubly sure and then I will set a date.

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 05:52:31 pm »
@EZ Linus
In medical matters one has to be their own advocate in making certain that your plans and wishes come to fruition.... even with  followup appointments, tests, prescriptions etc.   In this day and age of seemingly more limited available medical care, things can drop between the cracks all too often.

You are wise to seek 2nd and even 3rd opinions from your doctors.
I am wishing you well with your next consultation...  please keep us updated as you have been doing.... we are all your biggest fans and always rooting for your success and happiness.

Thanks for posting and sharing.
HUGS and more HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Tags: