Author Topic: Orchiectomy nervousness  (Read 1217 times)

Offline JessicaF84

Orchiectomy nervousness
« on: September 04, 2020, 10:08:24 pm »
Hi ladies,

So I have for many reasons decided to call a local urologist and schedule a consultation to have him perform an orchiectomy. I have no easy way to say it but I'm extremely nervous and have a lot of anxiety due to fear of complications etc. Has anyone had any serious issues due to the procedure?

This is something I truly want and desire for the many benefits especially not having to take spironolactone anymore and want to over come this nervousness asap. I think being my first ever surgery may have something to do with it also if anyone has calming techniques also.

Thanks

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
Re: Orchiectomy nervousness
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 07:25:45 am »
Every operation can have serious complications arise from it, unpredictable things can happen all of the time.  However an orchi is a relatively small procedure with fairly small associated risks. 

I had mine in June of 2019 and I am so happy I did it.  I was super nervous about it as well.  I don't like surgery or hospitals or doctors so I was pretty anxious about the whole thing.  But it was super quick.  I was in and out of the hospital in about five hours or so from intake to discharge.  A few days lounging in bed with ice packs and then I was pretty much okay to go.  It took me a long time to heal and I realized darn, I'm a slow healer.  Yay, lucky me, sarcasm included.  However, I would do it again.  I'm now schedule for GCS in 2024, and am thrilled that I had the orchi as otherwise I know I would not be able to wait that long. 

Good luck to you!  I personally highly recommend this procedure and am super happy I did it, nervousness and all!

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:32:49 am »
Hi ladies,

So I have for many reasons decided to call a local urologist and schedule a consultation to have him perform an orchiectomy. I have no easy way to say it but I'm extremely nervous and have a lot of anxiety due to fear of complications etc. Has anyone had any serious issues due to the procedure?

6 months post.

No complications. No regrets.

However, I'm not sure a urologist is the best for the orchiectomy.

You might want to preserve scrotum tissue for future procedures.

JM2¢W
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Offline JessicaF84

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 08:38:22 am »
Nadine thank you, yes I'm excited to have them gone just i don't know maybe I'm a hypochondriac about it. How long were you out of work due to the procedure? I'm assuming I will be out some time I have a physically demanding career. Trying to work with my chief on a rough time line.

Kaygee my normal general practioner who does my HRT (It's a LGBTQ only practice out of the local hospital) steered me in that direction. I don't know who else to go to for the procedure I will ask at the consultation but I believe he is also a surgeon.

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 02:49:11 pm »
I had my orchi in January 2018 as part of another surgery there.  My urologist knew that I was trans and when I asked, "... while you are down there Doctor, could you do an orchiectomy at the same time?".  He said no problem and the rest is history.  Because of the other surgery I spent the night in the hospital and then went home.  Frozen peas, or corn are very welcome for a few days.  I had some pain later along the incision line from the stitches and, I think, from nerve endings trying to reconnect someplace.  My main reason for it was because I was already incontinent from prostate surgery in 2005.  The spiro made it much worse with unfortunate accidents increasing. 

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 08:30:22 am »
Jessica - I'm sorry I am a teacher and thus had my orchi done at the start of my summer break.  I personally had about 2 months to heal prior to returning to work.  If it was not for that, how long would I have needed to take off, (for my job as a teacher who is very active at her job, walking pretty much all day doing laps in my classroom around the student desks,) I would say I would have felt fine at about two weeks to go back.  However I have heard of some who said a day or two off from work would have been fine.

Offline JessicaF84

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 11:54:25 am »
Ty you for the insight Nadine, I'm happy that worked out you had summer vacation to relax and heal. My boss is working with the city to figure out a plan. I'm a career firefighter so I am responsible for moving a lot of weight at any given time and have read you're not supposed to lift more than 10lbs for a few weeks. I'm hoping not to be out an extremely long time but I'll see what I'm told.

Offline Carla68

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 04:54:57 am »
Hi Ya,

Had mine about 7 weeks ago and it all went well, never had any surgery or hospital visits before so was very nervous

I just knuckled down and did everything I was told to do to help recovery (which didn't take that long as suggested) and let them do what they do best

Good luck in you operation and hope to see you in the no Testicles club soon

Carla
Carla

FFS 22-6-21
GRS 22-6-21

Offline JessicaF84

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 05:44:31 pm »
Hi all,

So I finally have surgery scheduled and got my 2 letters etc insurance requires. Still a little nervous im wondering I've read the othe other posts here describing others procedures. My doctor says he's doing a bilateral and just removing testes themselves leaving the cord tied off inside me. Has anyone else had this form of an orchi? Also I'm reading theres severe risk of infection etc. Thats what has me super nervous. I am extremely hygienic but things like that worry me. Can anyone answer at least about the leaving the cord in place?

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:51 am »
I had the bilateral procedure with a midline incision. The ends of the cords could be felt as bumps right after the surgery, but disappeared shortly after.

There is risk of infection anytime the body is opened up, but I don't believe an orchiectomy carries an exceptionally high risk.

Congratulations, good luck, and keep us posted!

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline JessicaF84

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 05:29:48 pm »
I had the bilateral procedure with a midline incision. The ends of the cords could be felt as bumps right after the surgery, but disappeared shortly after.

There is risk of infection anytime the body is opened up, but I don't believe an orchiectomy carries an exceptionally high risk.

Congratulations, good luck, and keep us posted!

Hugs, Devlyn

Thank you and I will keep you posted. I am sure the doctor knows what he is doing, just unsettling for me. I wish they just wouldn't tell you any risks of complications lol. I'm terrible with medical stuff always think the worst will happen. Hopefully it's smooth. By the way how long was the healing process? Few days to be able to walk around again?

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 05:36:28 pm »
My surgery was on a Friday and I was back to work on Tuesday. I did have wound dehiscence and  delayed healing, so full recovery took a bit longer.
Veteran, US Army

Offline JessicaF84

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 02:53:46 pm »
My surgery was on a Friday and I was back to work on Tuesday. I did have wound dehiscence and  delayed healing, so full recovery took a bit longer.

Oh boy I just googled that and scared the living <poo> out of me!!! Did it just happen or do they know why that happened?

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 04:28:52 pm »
An internal stitch let go. The blood filled the scrotum and caused a hematoma in my penis. The pressure in the scrotum opened up the incision. The pics of the internal bleeding are in my thread, starting on page 9?

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,224375.0.html

Veteran, US Army

Offline JessicaF84

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 04:41:10 pm »
Last question before D-Day, I ask my doctor if I should stop using spironolactone a week before the surgery (not gonna take it the morning of well because yeah...) but does anyone know if it has an anti clotting effect? He said I shouldn't be taking spiro  anyway because its a terrible drug and my endocrinologist told me I don't need to stop my estradiol but told me not to take spiro the day of.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 06:56:03 pm »
Dear Jessica,

While Spironolactone does not have any anti-clotting effects, but there is no reason to continue taking it, as the Testosterone factory will soon be gone.

An orchiectomey is not a major surgery. The Estradiol will have minimal issues with clotting.  Whether or not you hold the Estradiol pre- op, is up to your surgeon. Do what they say.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline JessicaF84

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 03:39:06 pm »
Dear Jessica,

While Spironolactone does not have any anti-clotting effects, but there is no reason to continue taking it, as the Testosterone factory will soon be gone.

An orchiectomey is not a major surgery. The Estradiol will have minimal issues with clotting.  Whether or not you hold the Estradiol pre- op, is up to your surgeon. Do what they say.

Ok, thank you for the response, they didn't say to stop the Estradoil or the spiro but told me not to take blood thinners so I didn't know, I know the spiro makes my blood pressure dangerously low at times and have passed out a lot since taking it so glad ill be off that.  Thank you all for the advise and information

Tags: