Author Topic: Progesterone  (Read 753 times)

Offline Meghan

Progesterone
« on: September 09, 2020, 05:53:20 am »
After four years my Endocrine finally prescribed Progesterone to my HRT.  What should I expect?

Thanks,

Meghan

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 08:10:13 pm »

Expect to see glandular growth in your breasts and a slight increase in your libido.

There are other effects, but these are not significant for transition purposes.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Meghan

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 08:40:48 pm »
Expect to see glandular growth in your breasts and a slight increase in your libido.

There are other effects, but these are not significant for transition purposes.
My. Iibido gone almost fourth years now and I am not sure I want it back

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 09:02:43 pm »
To me, drugs are a way to get a desired result, and you shouldn't take anything unless it is for a specific purpose, so I am a bit puzzled why you are letting someone just prescribe you things that you may not know what they are for. Progesterone seems to be a hit and miss medication with everybody getting something different from it, or nothing. I am taking it specifically to help me get from Tanner 3 to Tanner 4 with nipple and areola development, and in just a few weeks, there has been some development. If I didn't have a specific goal for this medication, I wouldn't take it.

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Meghan

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 09:36:19 pm »
To me, drugs are a way to get a desired result, and you shouldn't take anything unless it is for a specific purpose, so I am a bit puzzled why you are letting someone just prescribe you things that you may not know what they are for. Progesterone seems to be a hit and miss medication with everybody getting something different from it, or nothing. I am taking it specifically to help me get from Tanner 3 to Tanner 4 with nipple and areola development, and in just a few weeks, there has been some development. If I didn't have a specific goal for this medication, I wouldn't take it.

Hugs,

Allie
That is the main reason I ask my Endocrine for it because my desire for bigger breast growth since I began my transition four years ago

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 09:26:53 am »

I am taking it specifically to help me get from Tanner 3 to Tanner 4 with nipple and areola development, and in just a few weeks, there has been some development.

Hugs,

Allie

Meghan/Allie

I am 31 months HRT of which the last 18 months have included Progesterone in tablet form Utrogestan sublingually and I take it for the same reason as you Allie. I have seen intermittent development over that  period of time. Wishing you both success.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Ember Anya

• Inimitable
  • ...the grass below, above the vaulted sky...
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 11:06:40 am »
Due to recent studies they now believe it is irresponsible to give estrogen without specifically bioidentical progesterone once the patient has reached tanner 3 as the progesterone works with the estrogen and on its own in ways that make taking HRT safer (and other benefits). I could link them but was unsure if thats allowed.

Offline Rachel

• Family
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 06:39:43 pm »
I was on promethium for about 1 year. I took it at night subliminally.

I may have gained a few pounds but no breast development to speak of. I have read the studies about P & E and reviewed it with my PAC at the time.

I think I would need P subQ shots for it to be effective. It has a very short 1/2 life by swallowing or sublingual. P converts to T. I take T every day in very small amounts as I am post Op. So I will review P subQ with my doctor and see what she says.
MTF in need of help link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133631.1980.html
MTF in need of help 2 link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251825.0.html
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas FemLar scheduled 10/13/2020

Offline wildcat2083

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 09:11:10 pm »
I have been taking Progesterone since I started HRT which is about a month or so shy of 6 months total, for me it seemed to make my breasts grow a bit more rapid. According to others (friends and trans folk like myself) the growth especially with breasts are enhanced, the downside is I can lead to depression, not the growth itself but the medication, akin to a pregnant person, sometimes that particular hormone can cause moodiness

Offline KayXo

• Family
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 10:12:45 am »
P converts to T.

Taking P does NOT increase T. Studies have confirmed this.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005

Offline KayXo

• Family
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 10:14:13 am »
Due to recent studies they now believe it is irresponsible to give estrogen without specifically bioidentical progesterone once the patient has reached tanner 3 as the progesterone works with the estrogen and on its own in ways that make taking HRT safer (and other benefits). I could link them but was unsure if thats allowed.

That study has many limitations and is based on the author's own clinical observations only. The evidence in favor of progesterone is lacking as far as breast growth and helping HRT be safer.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005

Online Laura1951

• Friend
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 08:08:10 pm »
Had an interesting talk with my Kaiser doc today regarding my HRT treatment. She/Kaiser is firmly against adding progesterone. They think that people who report increased breast growth after adding progesterone are just gaining weight overall and hence are seeing breast growth.

I'm at a loss.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 10:18:56 pm »
I was able to talk my endo at Kaiser into providing it, though I stopped it after a year with nothing to show for it other than edema, which I never got before and have never had afterwards.

Offline Mariah

• Chat ircOP plus intersex and Post-OP
  • Family
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 04:49:45 pm »
I have gained a little bit of size off of progesterone, but that is about it. The libido piece dies down quickly or at least it did for me after I had been on it a bit. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
mariah2014@susans.org
I am also spouse of genderfluid person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
Discord nick = Kitten

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 05:30:41 pm »
I guess my question would be, how do you know you weren't going to get that size anyways?  Years of no growth on E followed by a change in size after adding Progesterone?  Not trying to be a brat, same questions I asked myself.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 06:49:09 pm »
I guess my question would be, how do you know you weren't going to get that size anyways? 

The actual size of any woman's breasts are mostly determined by family genetics and Estradiol blood levels. Progesterone has a minor role in breast development, but a major role in pregnancy and ovulation.

Pregnancy and ovulation are not involved in MTF transition, therefore the effects of Progesterone are minimal for transition purposes.

However, some people do report significant breast development after adding Progesterone to their HRT regimen. I cannot explain this except that their genetics somehow benefit from Progesterone.

In my opinion, in the final analysis, a few people may benefit with adding Progesterone to their HRT, but most will see no  significant improvement. Let's not try to over think this. If adding Progesterone works for you, then wonderful for you. Other people may or may not see any changes.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.

Offline Mariah

• Chat ircOP plus intersex and Post-OP
  • Family
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 07:41:42 pm »
I was on estrogen by itself for 3 may be 4 years before It was added is why. Hugs
Mariah
I guess my question would be, how do you know you weren't going to get that size anyways?  Years of no growth on E followed by a change in size after adding Progesterone?  Not trying to be a brat, same questions I asked myself.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
mariah2014@susans.org
I am also spouse of genderfluid person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
Discord nick = Kitten

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 03:59:56 pm »
Iam taking it specifically to help me get from Tanner 3 to Tanner 4 with nipple and areola development, and in just a few weeks, there has been some development. If I didn't have a specific goal for this medication, I wouldn't take it.

Hugs,

Allie

Meghan/Allie

I am 31 months HRT of which the last 18 months have included Progesterone in tablet form Utrogestan sublingually and I take it for the same reason as you Allie. I have seen intermittent development over that  period of time. Wishing you both success.

Hugs

Pamela xx

The actual size of any woman's breasts are mostly determined by family genetics and Estradiol blood levels. Progesterone has a minor role in breast development.

Hello again Rakel

I note your point about breast formation above.

Do you consider please that nipples and areolae usually follow the same rule or do you believe Progesterone may help development of these two particular attributes?

Thanking you for kind help.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Allie Jayne

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 04:21:20 pm »
So, after just a couple of months on P, my nipples have changed from a conical shape to a more rounded shape, and almost doubled in size! I made sure my E dose and blood levels were stable before starting P so I could more easily distinguish the differences from P. I haven’t yet had areola growth, or any breast size increase, but it is early days, and I am confident P has already been a benefit to me. I take my P rectally as per the doctor's recommendation.

Hugs,

Allie
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:15:28 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 06:56:34 pm »
...Do you consider please that nipples and areolae usually follow the same rule or do you believe Progesterone may help development of these two particular attributes? ...

Every woman develops at her own pace. There is just too much individual variation to make a general statement.

Areolae are just skin that covers a portion of the breast. Sometimes breast enlargement from pregnancy will stretch this skin.

Some women have inverted nipples and others have protruding nipples. This is mainly genetics, however a cool room temperature has it's own unique temporary effects.  ;D  8)

Tags: