Author Topic: Does GRS and/or HRT reduce mental distress?  (Read 104 times)

Offline Rachel Montgomery

• Neighbor
Does GRS and/or HRT reduce mental distress?
« on: September 14, 2020, 04:14:43 pm »
 Correction: Transgender Surgery Provides No Mental Health Benefit
      https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2020/09/71296/?fbclid=IwAR2fD26BZvQLXK0ckwKK01Q1crhJbgFPCTUoFXOL4srFWkWnWcfHDmObM0Q

The Public Discourse  September 13, 2020
By Andre Van Mol, Michael K. Laidlaw, Miriam Grossman and Paul McHugh

The American Journal of Psychiatry has issued a major correction to a recent study. The Bränström study reanalysis demonstrated that neither “gender-affirming hormone treatment” nor “gender-affirming surgery” reduced the need of transgender-identifying people for mental health services. Fad medicine is bad medicine, and gender-anxious people deserve better.

Don't let the headline fool you, the article does not establish that HRT and GRS do no good at all.  Instead, it fails to prove that they result in meaningful decreases in the need for mental health services.  Obviously, someone can receive a lot of relief by getting counseling.  The fact that they don't quit counseling doesn't mean it isn't doing any good.  Likewise, while GRS and/or HRT certainly seem to help the people I know who have employed them, most report that they stiff suffer from dysphoria and depression.  It is less intense, which is good.  But, they tell me that it doesn't make everything smooth sailing. 

Anyway, read it and tell me if you agree with my analysis, and be informed for when people tell you science says transitioning doesn't help.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:38:32 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Tags: