Author Topic: Body Hair  (Read 433 times)

Offline Yukina

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Gunpla Nerd
Body Hair
« on: September 18, 2020, 01:37:54 pm »
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone had some good tips for dealing with body hair (good razors for shaving it off, etc.).

Offline TooTallAlex

Re: Body Hair
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 02:19:30 pm »
I just shave every day. Chest, stomach, armpits are daily. Legs are mostly daily and arms are a couple of times a week. I've had 3 sessions of laser removal on the face and can do a while without shaving it. About to go in for a fourth session. Its definitely much less and when it starts to grow back in it is much finer. My understanding is HRT will slow it down and also will make it finer. I can't say I have seen that yet but am looking forward to it.
HRT - July 2020

Offline Yukina

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 02:24:50 pm »
Thank you for the advice, Alex! :)

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 02:49:08 pm »
If your hair is really long it it is easier to first cut it short with an electric razor.
I got a Venus body razor and its rounded shape is better for removing body hair. 
They have an extra smooth 5 blade version that seems to have good reviews but I haven't tried it.

Marion

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 03:24:25 pm »
I've been using the 5-blade "Venus extra smooth" for most of my body and I'm very happy with it.   I've also got a long handled electric razor to reach those places (like my back) where I cant reach with the Venus.  For my face I'm still using my Gillette Mach3.  Fun fact- the Venus cartridges fit the Mach3 handle (and vice versa!)

Best tip I ever got- Shave in the bathtub or shower if you can.

I've tried the Braun Silk-epil 9, and just can't get used to it.  I also have had mixed luck with hair removal creams.

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

In a sky full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy? - Seal

Offline Yukina

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 03:49:42 pm »
Thank you for the advice, Marion and Caela. :) I'll have to see what razors I can find in the house for the moment. Hopefully, there are some similar ones. I know for certain I have an electric one with different attachments though. :) Definitely can do it in the shower at least.

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 03:57:57 pm »
Thank you for the advice, Marion and Ceyla. :) I'll have to see what razors I can find in the house for the moment. Hopefully, there are some similar ones. I know for certain I have an electric one with different attachments though. :) Definitely can do it in the shower at least.

Yukina-

With your electric razor you'll want to read the manual and make sure it's safe to use in water-  I can use my Silk-epil 9 in water, but not my long-handled electric.

Good Luck!

Caela

Offline Yukina

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 04:02:22 pm »
Yukina-

With your electric razor you'll want to read the manual and make sure it's safe to use in water-  I can use my Silk-epil 9 in water, but not my long-handled electric.

Good Luck!

Caela

I'll think just avoid using the electric in the shower to be safe then. :) Thank you, Ceala.

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 06:07:52 am »
I went w laser for my face and then electrolysis for those greys.   Lost the rest to HRT.  I didn't really have much to begin with to be fair.   Though I did have those annoying back hairs and that long trail of them around the belly button which disappeared about a year in.  Super happy about those last two.

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
  • Neighbor
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 07:49:01 am »
As a child I was a year round swimmer.  For important races we would shave, so I've been shaving since about the time I got that nasty body hair.  No razor that I have tried has had any super amazing results to the point that I would call it the best razor.  As long as it is a new blade they all shave about the same.  Sure with 5 blades it may come off quicker, but if you slip with those then you get a nice cute set of five little nicks. 

If you don't keep up with the hair removal it becomes far harder to deal with.  I remember times back before HRT that it would take me at least an hour to shave everything down well.  Goodness that was awful!  My biggest issue back then was the ingrowns I might develop often on my legs from shaving too close.  I avoided that by shaving with the grain, especially on my thighs. 

Okay, other than that I tried epilating - um torture, just sheer torture.  I tried hair removal creams - nope too many chemicals for my sensitive skin and essentially they do know better of a job than a decent razor will do.  I tried waxing - effective but painful, and loaded me down with lots of ingrowns.  I tried a fairly expensive ($500) home IPL laser - it lessened my body hair a little but much of my hair is blond and red, and it does nothing for those, and body hair loves testosterone so the at home lasers are often not strong enough to deal with body hair under that influence. 

Now that I have been on HRT for 3+ years, the body hair is almost gone on my torso but I did have assistance by electrolysis as my tech would zap my chest hairs once she cleared my face.  Oh and yeah I have had about 2+ year of electro on my face and thus have not shaved it for months now and it is almost totally hair free.  Wow, talk about freedom!

Offline Yukina

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 08:36:22 am »
Thank you for the advice, Julie and Nadine. :) Just to be sure (cause I think I got it right), by going with the grain (which brings to mind when I sand model kits), you mean a straight path down the legs instead of pulling up?

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 10:52:04 am »
I shave what I see below my chin about every two or three weeks during a nice, warm, and scented bath.   :)

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
  • Neighbor
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 07:03:56 am »
...... you mean a straight path down the legs instead of pulling up?

Yup.  But I am able to shave against the grain on my calves and shins, just not my thighs, they are super sensitive.  And yes I too always think about wood grain when I talk about against the grain, lol. 

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 09:16:53 am »
by going with the grain (which brings to mind when I sand model kits), you mean a straight path down the legs instead of pulling up?

Gillette says this about shaving Against The Grain (ATG)
First, determine the direction of your hair growth by rubbing your hand or a credit card across your face. The direction in which you encounter resistance is ATG.

I have different directions of growth on different parts of my body- my leg hair grows downward, so shaving upward is ATG for me.  My belly hair grows sideways, so shaving outward is ATG. Other areas seem to be a random hair-by-hair difference, and I'll have to shave in multiple directions.  You'll have to find out what will work best for your body.

Caela

Offline Yukina

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 05:23:32 pm »
Thank you, Nadine and Caela. :)

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 06:00:49 pm »
Gillette says this about shaving Against The Grain (ATG)
First, determine the direction of your hair growth by rubbing your hand or a credit card across your face. The direction in which you encounter resistance is ATG.

I have different directions of growth on different parts of my body- my leg hair grows downward, so shaving upward is ATG for me.  My belly hair grows sideways, so shaving outward is ATG. Other areas seem to be a random hair-by-hair difference, and I'll have to shave in multiple directions.  You'll have to find out what will work best for your body.

Caela

That made me remember when I first started shaving everything.

Hair growth direction around the navel was just, well, ridiculous to figure out at first. :)

So, for me now, it's front, legs face neck, shoulders, armpits every day (and, it gets a little ghastly sometimes, but to me, it's fully worth it), and I'll use Veet on the back about every five days or so (which, makes me a little nauseous sometimes, but I'm sticking with it).

I've now had three laser sessions on my face and neck, and two on my front and back, which has reduced the darker hairs, but the lighter ones will likely need electro.
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 03:44:55 pm »
I've been using the 5-blade "Venus extra smooth" for most of my body and I'm very happy with it.   I've also got a long handled electric razor to reach those places (like my back) where I cant reach with the Venus.  For my face I'm still using my Gillette Mach3.  Fun fact- the Venus cartridges fit the Mach3 handle (and vice versa!)

I think I'm gonna go that route after all the other options have been a disappointment.  See how we go.

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 04:08:11 pm »
So, are we to shave ATG for the closest shave, or the other way around?

Chrissy
Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline CaelaNotKayla

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 04:52:04 pm »
So, are we to shave ATG for the closest shave, or the other way around?

Chrissy
ATG is supposed to be a closer shave, with a higher likelihood of razor bumps and burn afterwards

Caela

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 05:19:01 pm »
I do not recommend the use of chemicals for body hair or facial hair removal. Ingrown hairs and other issues may occur.

Shaving is an alternative if electrolysis, laser, or waxing is not for you.  Plucking and waxing seems okay for the eyebrows.

I have never had a Brazilian wax.

Chrissy

Tags: