Author Topic: Tips for Cooking for one  (Read 157 times)

Offline Maid Marion

Tips for Cooking for one
« on: September 19, 2020, 12:10:06 pm »
I think it is a fact that we are more likely than most to be cooking for one.
It can get boring eating Ramen noodles and  Spam.
Here are some ideas to reduce the boredom.

Get an automatic rice cooker for steaming rice.  Rice is very easy to store and cook.

Get a 1 quart deep fryer.  Deep frying is much less of a hassle when cooking small portions versus trying to cook an entire meal for a family.  I find it easier to fry bread than to bake it.

Avoid food spoilage by careful planning and purchasing small quantities.  One onion makes more sense for me than a bag.  Though I may buy a bag next spring and divide it up.  The root bottoms for growing new onions.  Chopping them up and freezing them for cooking.  Growing green onions (the leafy tops) as garnishment.

Get a digital food scale.  This is the best of measuring out powders like flour.  When I get home from shopping I divide meat into single portions for cooking.  I only cook what I eat.  This is much more efficient that cooking a lot of food and cooling and reheating the leftovers.  This is also better from a food safety standpoint, as it minimizes the time that food is at the danger zone between 40 and 140 degrees.  In the danger zones "bad bugs" can multiply rapidly.

If you are working at home it becomes more practical to cook foods like bread that require long resting times.

Good luck

Marion

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Tips for Cooking for one
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 12:28:14 pm »
I used to just cook a meal like it was for a family of four. I'd eat one plate and make up three for the freezer.
Veteran, US Army

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 12:29:32 pm »
Marion-

I've moved from a deep fryer to an air fryer.  It replaced the Instant Pot as my favorite kitchen gadget! They're good for smaller portions and a lot less fat.  If I have friends over or need to make larger portions I've found I can get a similar effect in my convection oven.

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 08:33:30 am »
Marion-

I've moved from a deep fryer to an air fryer.  It replaced the Instant Pot as my favorite kitchen gadget! They're good for smaller portions and a lot less fat.  If I have friends over or need to make larger portions I've found I can get a similar effect in my convection oven.

Caela

Air fryers are very useful.  Not sure if they are very energy efficient but they do cook well.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Lyric

• Family
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:30 pm »
Devlyn's right that the key to cooking for one is to make good use of your freezer. I usually only entirely cook one meal component at a time and use leftover items with it. For instance I'll cook several meals worth of chicken breast at once-- or a crock pot of beans then divvy them into serving size containers to freeze. I do that with rice as well. When cooled, I spread it into a flat plastic pan, cut into serving size cubes and put the pan in the freezer. Once frozen I bag the chunks.

In fact, lately I've been on a crock cooking kick. I'll do a pot full of pene pasta with tomato sauce, chicken and veggies. The leftovers are frozen in small Pyrex meal-sized casserole dishes with plastic lids. I've even done the same with my chicken-broccoli-mushroom soup. And, of course, I'll do that with Thanksgiving leftovers, too.
"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." - Steve Jobs

Tags: