Author Topic: Laser Facial Hair Removal in Summer  (Read 650 times)

Offline Mathea

Laser Facial Hair Removal in Summer
« on: June 11, 2020, 04:10:40 am »
Is it or is it not safe to do facial laser treatment in summer?

I see so many warnings that it is not, but my clinician tells me its ok. But she's been generally terrible at informing about risks, so I'm unsure if I should trust her.

Can I be normally exposed to the sun as long as I use SPF50?

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Laser Facial Hair Removal in Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 05:58:22 am »
It is true that too much exposure to any form of intense light rays will damage your skin, but the exact amount is not known. We rely on skin damage to determine if any amount of light is too much.

If we spend a day at the beach and come home with a light tan, everyone says that is healthy. If we come home with a sunburn, they ask "Didn't we know better?" The facts are that any amount of light will effect the skin. Sometimes we get too much, but we do need some sunlight to produce Vitamin D. I have never seen any report that a certain intensity and length of exposure is too much. We all have different skin types. Some of us burn with little exposure and others can tolerate much more.

I live in Florida and we have a beach culture here that is as intense as anywhere else. The locals here who have had laser treatments just stay out of the sun for a day or two. If they do go out, they stay covered or at least shaded from the sun. Any SPF lotion will help. The higher the better.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Tess100

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 10:04:20 am »
Hello Mathea,
I timed most all of my laser work for the winter months to avoid issues with the sun exposure.  The treatments I had to the face (3 total) created a fair amount of temporary trauma to the skin so I would say "yes" that you will want to avoid the sun for at least a few days for things to settle down.  You might want to gauge how much your skin tans in the summer also.  My understanding is that the tone of your skin at the time of the treatment will need to be takin into account for the settings on the laser and how it feels.
Good luck!

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 12:51:36 pm »
Another way of looking at it is that laser works best on light skin and darker hair.  Sun usually implies suntan, which implies darker skin.  Thus the effectiveness of the laser could be negatively affected.  Plus, ones skin has to be more sensitive after a laser session, so one would probably need a minimum amount of time before spending any time in the sun.  Sounds logical to me!!
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 01:54:46 pm »
As Allie suggested, my laser tech would tell me she was turning down the power if she thought I was tanner than usual.  Reduced the risk of burns (which I never got), but also reduced the effectiveness.  Eventually I moved to an October/November to April/May-ish laser schedule, as it was just hard to avoid getting some level of tan in the summer months with kid's sports and other social outdoor activities.  Several years removed from laser now, still with great results, so taking the breaks didn't hurt me, other than extending the time and letting my bank account up for a breath of air occasionally.

Offline Mathea

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 05:18:59 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I consistently wear sunscreen and try to keep at most a moderate exposure to the sun, so I have not got or expect to get much of a tan. My skin also tends to handle the laser very well. I'm very red immediately afterwards, but this disappears completely after half an hour or so.

I'm also quite desperate to get things going. I've had six sessions so far, and have only with the last one started to see some proper results. I'm going more or less full time after summer and this facial hair will be such a terrible bother.

On the other hand, I can't avoid having some days with a fair bit of sun this summer. May need to go to the beach with the kids (hope I can find some shade) and I will need to do some outdoor maintenance work. Also, I will spend much of my time north of the Arctic Circle where there is sun ALL OF THE TIME.

If you have any more input, I'd be happy to hear it!  :)

Offline Julielynn

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 06:16:55 am »
Laser makes it really sensitive to light since you're basically sunburned afterwards.   Take some sunscreen and apply it afterwards (definitely not before).  Most places give you some to help soothe it anyway.   Just wear sunscreen around for a few days after too to help it heal nicely.  I wear it all the time just to keep my looks.

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 05:43:20 pm »
You'll be fine as long as you just wear good sunblock and remind yourself that you are more sensitive to the sun than you usually would be. Maybe a hat that casts more shade on your face.  You're also in luck that wearing face masks is on trend right now.

I was similar in my response to laser, redness gone within the hour, but certainly there was some sensitivity for the next week.  I wasn't on a tight schedule having done it 3 or 4 years before I began HRT, so taking off the summers was a luxury I could manage and I knew I was just too irresponsible to behave myself in the SoCal sun. I didn't start with any looks to worry about maintaining.  ;)

Worse case scenario, they tell you that you've had too much sun and that you should reschedule, or they turn the laser down. You look like you have a fair complexion, so a little sun probably isn't going to leave you so dark that it makes laser ineffective.

Super cute profile pic btw! Good luck!

Offline Mathea

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 03:19:37 pm »
Thanks!  ;) I'm still undecided whether to go ahead, but I'll need to make up my mind soon.

Offline Tamara Tilly

• Friend
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 12:27:50 am »
I've been covering up, slapping on SPF50 and wearing a wide-brimmed hat. It seems to work!

xx

Offline Maddie

• Family
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 08:02:41 am »
I've been covering up, slapping on SPF50 and wearing a wide-brimmed hat. It seems to work!

xx
Yes these 
If you want to play it safe, avoid the sun, and  keep a wide brim hat with you (leave one in the car even for quick walks through a parking lot)
Might be overcautious.  But unlike your tech Mathea, I was strongly warned against the sun.  They even said they wouldn't treat me if I didn't avoid it.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 08:44:05 am »
Japanese women will typically bring an umbrella to the beach to stay out of the sun.  Pale skin is highly valued.
This may be one of the reasons Canadian singer Carly Rae Jepsen is so popular there.  All those years living way up North.

One of my first clothing purchases when I moved away from home was a Tilley wide brimmed hat.  I still use it!

I do a lot of gardening outside, but have learned to do a lot of it in the shade. 

Marion

Offline Denise K

• What you seek is seeking you
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 02:07:14 am »
I had it done several times during summer when I first started laser and I had to get it again every month or so. Unless you are careless and forgot your sunscreen there should not be any problem at all. Or you can wear something that will cover your body area against sun for few days until skin gets healed. If you do not protect your skin for at least a week, there is chance to get skin spots.

If it is facial laser, apart from sunscreen, corona masks provide extra coverage :)

Denise..

Offline DebbieB

• Debbie Ballard: IT Architect & Author
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 03:24:17 am »
Laser or iLight hair removal success and risk are based on a few factors, first, how light is your skin, second, how dark is your facial hair, and third, how much sun are you getting on the areas being treated with laser.

From your picture, I can see that you have very light colored skin, and it looks like you have red hair.  If your facial hair is darker or the red is a wig, then you are an ideal candidate for laser or iLight.  The light goes down the dark follicles and kills the roots of the dark hairs.  This can then be plucked, epilated, or waxed, or even just allowed to "fall out".  What is left is a much smaller amount of almost white hairs that can either be shaved or removed by electrolysis.

The problem comes when you are outside getting a nice toasty tan and you want to get a nice tan on your face as well.  With the lighter red hair, and the darker skin, the laser tends to try and burn not only the hair, but also the skin as well.  If you are planning to do laser on your arms or legs, then don't tan them, and avoid getting any tan on your face at all if you are going to zap during the summer.

Consider getting your legs waxed in the fall, and again in early winter, and a third time in early spring.  You may not have to shave again, or you can use an epilator with far less pain.
Debbie Ballard - IT Architect
1st Transition 1988 to 1997 - detransitioned
2nd Transition 2010
HRT since 2011
Full Time since 2012

Tags: