Author Topic: Have you had any of these British foods?  (Read 677 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Have you had any of these British foods?
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:20:54 pm »
Have you had any of these British foods?  If so, sound out!

Scotch Eggs

Fish and Chips (fries), but with Mushy Peas

Steak and Kidney Pie

Cornish pasty (Has carrots, peas, meat inside)

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Kalandrina

Re: Have you had any of these British foods?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 06:03:53 am »
Scotch Eggs absolutely yummy with some mayo to dip in

Fish and chips with mushy peas, lovely...this is CHIPS, big thick cut ones, not thin horrible fries.

Steak and Kidney Pie with mash and gravy :)

Proper Stcky toffee pudding with a good custard is divine

Not too fond of cornish pasties as they tend to use <poo> off cuts of the meat.
This ain't a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just want to live while I'm alive
It's my life

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 07:46:18 am »

Scotch Eggs

Scotch eggs are very nice. I had seen them in the US but never tried one.

The fish and chips here is very nice. In the US it's predominantly haddock, here it is predominantly cod (which I prefer). I have mixed feelings on chips, here they are frequently found "undercooked" in the sense that you get potato cooked in fat, but without any crispiness. Mushy peas are... okay, but truthfully I'd rather just have a side of whole unmashed peas.

Steak and Kidney Pie

Sign me up! Steak and ale, steak and kidney, pork pie... they're all good!

They're pretty good, a bit "bready" for my taste. I've had authentic Cornish pasties (they legally have to be made in Cornwall: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-12535751 ), Bedfordshire Clangers, and don't tell anyone, but in Phoenix, AZ I had a Reuben pasty which was absolutely delicious

Sticky Toffee Pudding

I haven't tried this. It usually comes with custard, and I just can't get onboard with custard.

I'd like to add:

Toad in the hole (sausages baked in batter in a casserole dish). Delicious.

Bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potatoes with brown gravy). A staple dish.

Haggis, neeps, and tatties (Haggis, turnip or swede, and potatoes). Yummy! Usually served with a whiskey sauce.

Bubble and squeak (ingredients vary, what's in your leftover bowl?) Always popular.

Veteran, US Army

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 09:13:11 am »
Scotch Eggs absolutely yummy with some mayo to dip in

Fish and chips with mushy peas, lovely...this is CHIPS, big thick cut ones, not thin horrible fries.

Steak and Kidney Pie with mash and gravy :)

Proper Stcky toffee pudding with a good custard is divine

Not too fond of cornish pasties as they tend to use <not allowed> off cuts of the meat.

I have not had any, except fish and chips, without the mushy peas.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 09:13:47 am »
I'd like to add:

Toad in the hole (sausages baked in batter in a casserole dish). Delicious.

Bangers and mash (sausages and mashed potatoes with brown gravy). A staple dish.

Haggis, neeps, and tatties (Haggis, turnip or swede, and potatoes). Yummy! Usually served with a whiskey sauce.

Bubble and squeak (ingredients vary, what's in your leftover bowl?) Always popular.

Thanks for sharing out and the new items too!

Chrissy

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 10:36:38 am »
If you are visiting Provincetown or Cape Cod that is a great place to get fish and chips.  There are places that will let you choose your favorite fish.

Marion

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 10:40:20 am »

Scotch Eggs

Steak and Kidney Pie

Sticky Toffee Pudding

I have had the fish and chips + peas and the cornish pastry. There is an excellent British bakery cafe near me and that is where I had them.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 10:47:06 am »
This was the "Giant" fish and chips at Papa's in Whitby. As you see, we each had half of a codfish.

Veteran, US Army

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 10:55:45 am »
That looks sooooo good. So flaky and not overbreaded - just the way I like it!

Sarah

This was the "Giant" fish and chips at Papa's in Whitby. As you see, we each had half of a codfish.

----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 10:58:26 am »
Another classic: The Ploughman's Lunch. We had this one at The Guinea Pub.

Veteran, US Army

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 11:03:59 am »
Hendo's.. the King of condiments.

Veteran, US Army

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 11:05:49 am »
Are words even necessary?  :D

Veteran, US Army

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 11:13:51 am »
Twiglets... they're coated with Marmite. They look, and taste, like burnt chicken bones... and they're
strangely addictive.  :laugh:

Veteran, US Army

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Friend
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 12:22:33 pm »
There are some Welsh dishes that you should consider. Still very popular around here.

Cawl
Welsh Rarebit
Laverbread
Bara Brith
Welsh cakes..
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 02:46:39 pm »
All of them, of course. But I do not like mushy peas, they remind me too much of as a kid when I only processed peas were a available

As for pies. My favourite is stake and Stilton yummy

Brains faggots are a commercial brand, but every butcher in Somerset will make their own

Anyone had pie and mash, this is not any old pie but a specialty of the east end of London. It’s a minced meat pie in a rubbery case, potato mash (as normal) and liquor (thick parsley sauce) and all MUST be covered in lots of vinegar

Jessica xxx

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 03:36:11 pm »
If you are visiting Provincetown or Cape Cod that is a great place to get fish and chips.  There are places that will let you choose your favorite fish.

Marion

I may visit that town one day.  They have a transgender gathering / conference there each year, but not in person there this year.  I will eat the fish for sure!

Chrissy

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 03:37:15 pm »

I am getting hungry looking at that picture @Devlyn

Chrissy

Offline Carla68

• Friend
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 07:16:44 pm »
I'm English but have family in Scotland and Wales

I hate Mushy peas

all the mentioned dishes have slight variations and can be fantastic to downright inedible

A Cornish pasty is traditionally filled with beef skirt, potato, swede (turnip) and onion it is believed it was designed for workers to eat in the tinning mines by holding the crust eating the middle and then throwing crust away as the dust on miners hands was poisonous, you also get a devon pasty that opens from top.

Sausage rolls are more common and popular than pasties

It's best to try the faggots, haggis and black pudding without reading the ingredients

Chips are not the same as fries, even if they are crispy a good coating of salt and vinegar soon softens them up, especially when wrapped in paper (traditionally newspaper) and carried home

Spotted Dick is also an interestingly named pudding to lookup

Most Dishes are heavy going and designed for the 10 months of winter we have wikipedia has a list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_dishes

for a light breakfast try an English, Irish or Scottish lol

I was just discussing with a friend the other day that ploughman's lunch is getting a bit difficult to find nowadays

The things I miss most stuck in Holland are Scampi and Chips, a good British Indian restaurant curry, crumpets, proper bacon, pork pies and so many cheeses

Carla
Carla

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 09:47:29 am »
Scottish food isn't British(Ask a Scot) and I have had haggis, tatties and neeps. It can be good depending on who makes it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 06:49:32 pm »
Thanks to all for sharing out...

Chrissy

Tags: