Author Topic: What are the weirdest, strangest, or worst foods you’ve eaten, or will NOT eat?  (Read 685 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Raw onion I have to avoid , the acid upsets my insides . We used to have pigs head brawn when I was little and the brain.

Ewww!   :)

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Online barbie

• I change my avatar every week
Raw onion I have to avoid , the acid upsets my insides . We used to have pigs head brawn when I was little and the brain.

I eat raw onion nearly every day. We have some traditional sauces that neutralize the acidic taste. Actually, the addition of onion makes food sweet.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
I eat raw onion nearly every day. We have some traditional sauces that neutralize the acidic taste. Actually, the addition of onion makes food sweet.

barbie~~

I like onions.  Cooked or raw.  Of course, what I use depends on the food to eat the onions with.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline RandyL

• On the way
My sister educated me on different people's body chemistries which make certain foods difficult. For both her and me, raw onion causes stomach upset like Davina said. But I eat a lot of cooked onion without trouble. It's not the taste or spiciness, as I love spicy food including garlic, ginger, jalapeno peppers, red chile etc.

And then there are the variations in people's sense of taste. For some like my father, cilantro tastes like soap, while I love it. My wife can't stand arugula, while it's fine for me.

And you thought being transgender was weird

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randy's HRT Journal

Online davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
When onion is cooked it neutralises the acid IMO , I get through lots as most curries start with an onion base. Did try some pigs trotters, just a fatty mess.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
I have eaten a lot of "strange food". Lamb testicles (very bland), sweet breads (lamb and goat lymph nodes, again bland), kesshka (polish blood and barely sausage, very good with egg. i have had and love both fried and pickled squid and octopus ( if its tough/chewy, it was overcooked). Shark is one of my favorite fish (if it has an ammonia taste,  it wasnt cleaned properly). My favorite for this list is Russian Sturgeon caviar from the Soviet Embassy in Chicaggo, very good to my 10 y/o taste buds.

A lot of strange foods (to developed countries) come from the no-waste mentality of poorer people. If a traditional dish of strange food survives the "enriching" of a nation or people, it is worth trying. Scarcity also moves food from strange to desired. When I was a kid on the Gulf Coast, snapper, trigger fisho, flounder and scallops were all trash/bait fish. Now scallops are a $20/lb delicacy.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
I have eaten a lot of "strange food". Lamb testicles (very bland), sweet breads (lamb and goat lymph nodes, again bland), kesshka (polish blood and barely sausage, very good with egg. i have had and love both fried and pickled squid and octopus ( if its tough/chewy, it was overcooked). Shark is one of my favorite fish (if it has an ammonia taste,  it wasnt cleaned properly). My favorite for this list is Russian Sturgeon caviar from the Soviet Embassy in Chicaggo, very good to my 10 y/o taste buds.

A lot of strange foods (to developed countries) come from the no-waste mentality of poorer people. If a traditional dish of strange food survives the "enriching" of a nation or people, it is worth trying. Scarcity also moves food from strange to desired. When I was a kid on the Gulf Coast, snapper, trigger fisho, flounder and scallops were all trash/bait fish. Now scallops are a $20/lb delicacy.

I do enjoy scallops!

Chrissy

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Friend
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
I have eaten earthworm pate.. and snake... both are an acquired taste.

(the earthworms were farm bred especially for consumption! So really, that is some guy's job, earthworm farmer!)...
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
I have eaten earthworm pate.. and snake... both are an acquired taste.

(the earthworms were farm bred especially for consumption! So really, that is some guy's job, earthworm farmer!)...

The worms do not sound appealing.
For that matter, neither does the snake!

:)

Chrissy

Offline TSL_NB

Hákarl...fermented shark we had in Iceland. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but the ammonia taste
was a little off-putting.

I lived in Keflavík for a number of years (my dad was stationed there for ten years, in total).   The Brennavín helped the Hákarl go down (but, that was years ago...I stopped drinking after I finished my own enlistment).

Now, as far as food experiences go, I think raw jellyfish was the strangest, just because it didn't taste like anything at all.  It was like this big 'flavour void' that I felt while eating it.
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Tags: