Author Topic: What are the weirdest, strangest, or worst foods you’ve eaten, or will NOT eat?  (Read 687 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
What are the weirdest, strangest, or worst foods you have eaten, or will NOT eat?

Perhaps tripe?  Brains?  Bugs?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Online Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Hákarl...fermented shark we had in Iceland. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but the ammonia taste
was a little off-putting.

Veteran, US Army

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Friend
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
Peas

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
Hákarl...fermented shark we had in Iceland. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but the ammonia taste
was a little off-putting.

I really want to try Hákarl if I visit Iceland. Here we eat a similar one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/world/asia/hongeo-south-koreas-smelliest-food.html

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/world/asia/hongeo-south-koreas-smelliest-food.html

barbie~~

I do not think that I wish to try SURSTRÖMMING.
It sounds gross.

Surströmming is a lightly-salted fermented Baltic Sea herring, and it is a traditional food of the Swedish cuisine since at least as far back as the 16th century.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
What are the weirdest, strangest, or worst foods you have eaten, or will NOT eat?

Chrissy

Tripe is one of the optional ingredients in Phō.

I've had it. But I usually request my Phō without it.

In the late 90s the owner of a Chinese restaurant offered us Octopus.

I was the only one who tried it.

Big nothing-burger. Very bland.

Earlier this century my wife & I stopped in at an "Italian" restaurant in McAlester, Oklahoma.

Reading the menu, I asked the waitress, What are Lamb Fries?

She replies in a sugary southern drawl, Lamb Testicles.

We should have walked out right then.

We stayed. Didn't order the Lamb Fries, but had a perfectly rotten meal without them,
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Offline barbie

I do not think that I wish to try SURSTRÖMMING.
It sounds gross.

Surströmming is a lightly-salted fermented Baltic Sea herring, and it is a traditional food of the Swedish cuisine since at least as far back as the 16th century.

Chrissy

Of course, I wish to try SURSTRÖMMING and Rakfisk in Norway. We also have a similar one, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwamegi

The odor of the original Gwamegi is too strong, and nowadays most of the products are not actually fermented, as people do not like the odor.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family

barbie~~

I think I will stick with Kimchi.

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
Haggis

My sister was visiting from NY and wanted to take back some of my parents home made kimchi. She put the jar in the airplane overhead. But forgot about the airplane pressure change and the bottle burst open mid-flight. She was so embarrassed that she just left the bag and bottle on the plane when it landed, lol

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org
Haggis

My sister was visiting from NY and wanted to take back some of my parents home made kimchi. She put the jar in the airplane overhead. But forgot about the airplane pressure change and the bottle burst open mid-flight. She was so embarrassed that she just left the bag and bottle on the plane when it landed, lol

I didn't think haggis was going to be very nice, but I absolutely loved it. Same thing with black pudding (blood sausage). This was in Edinburgh, we had Cullen skink, haggis tower with whiskey sauce, and cheesy haggis fries.

Veteran, US Army

Offline barbie

Chrissy

And my answer to the OP is:

Big Mac® Combo Meal

Cheers,

barbie~~

Online Devlyn

• devlynmarie@susans.org

Chrissy

And my answer to the OP is:

Big Mac® Combo Meal

Cheers,

barbie~~

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Veteran, US Army

Offline barbie

I think I will stick with Kimchi.

There are several hundred kinds of Kimchi here. Every village has its own recipe for kimchi. But the most popular vegetables used for kimchi are Chinese cabbage and raddish, but others such as cucumber, green onion, and chives are also used. I like those fermented for more than 5 years. Some kimchi products do not emit odor.

Red pepper is widely used, but it started in the 16-th century when red pepper was introduced from probably South America. Before that, the flowers of cockscomb probably had been used.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline barbie

Haggis

I also had a similar moment. I like traditional Korean alcohol beverage called Makgeolli: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makgeolli

I purchased 20 liter (20 kg, ca 700 ounce) of it contained in a big plastic container. In the airport, the airline staff said the maximum allowed baggage weight is 15 kg for the economy seats, and I can carry it if I upgrade to a business class seat. And I upgraded.

The container was too high, and the flight attendant laid it on the side. I did not know that there is a tiny hole in the top of the container to release the gas produced from fermentation. It gradually leaked.

Fortunately, I was the only one in the business seats. Anyway, the alcohol beverage flowed from the overhead bin. I was embarrassed. But, the flight attendant smiled and just asked me whether my clothes are OK. She did not care anything about the leakage and the odor. She just cared about me.

That is probably one reason why people pay extra money for business seats.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Julie H

• Family
  • Formerly known as White Rabbit
Cow tongue - a little bit chewy but really just tastes like beef from what I recall
Head Cheese - just don't think about what it is and you should be ok
Calamari - had it on Carnival and it was rubbery and tasteless from what I recall
Shark steak- I didn't mind it, though I just had a taste and I hate fish
Snails - slimy and disgusting
Haggis - dry and spicy
Deep fried mars bar- I really didn't like it
Salmon roe - disgustingly fishy
Flying fish roe - pretty good in sushi
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:53:00 pm by Julie H »
Julie

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
A lot of good ones have been mentioned already. I am a pretty adventuresome eater but some stuff is beyond the pale for me.

I once had an Armenian dish called khash, which shows up on a lot of disgusting food lists. Khash is a soup broth made from cow hooves and other third-grade beef parts. It takes an entire day to prepare the soup. Once it's done, then you pour the soup into bowls and each person takes a bunch of flatbread and puts the bread into the broth to sop up all the liquid. Then you eat the squishy, disgusting flatbread. If that doesn't sound appetizing...you're right.

Usually khash is a centerpiece of an Armenian winter feast. I concluded that it's basically an excuse for Armenians to drink lots of vodka to wash away the taste of the gummy, greasy, soupy flatbread. Not having that again...

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
Of course, I wish to try SURSTRÖMMING and Rakfisk in Norway. We also have a similar one, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwamegi

The odor of the original Gwamegi is too strong, and nowadays most of the products are not actually fermented, as people do not like the odor.

barbie~~

I find that many of these Scandinavian preserved fish dishes can be really nasty....definitely a very acquired taste.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline barbie

I find that many of these Scandinavian preserved fish dishes can be really nasty....definitely a very acquired taste.

Sarah

My eldest son, born in the US, could not eat the fermented skate called Hongeo when he was a middle school student. While eating together, an aged woman urged him to try it. My son just followed it. Then he became addicted to it. He still likes it. You may try those Scandinavian fish dishes. Fermented food is very addictive once you are accustomed to it.

barbie~~

Just do it.

Offline Julie H

• Family
  • Formerly known as White Rabbit
I forgot to mention trying foie gras and bone marrow. I like foie gras but bone marrow I find to just be greasy, I might order it again if someone wants to try it but not for just myself.
Julie

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
Raw onion I have to avoid , the acid upsets my insides . We used to have pigs head brawn when I was little and the brain.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever

Tags: