Author Topic: Just had my first session  (Read 315 times)

Offline VivianB

• Neighbor
Just had my first session
« on: October 08, 2020, 07:07:52 pm »
Last week I made this topic about about finding a therapist https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,254314.0.html

and I finally had my first session today. The session went really well, when it first started I was really nervous but once we got to talking I calmed down. We first started by talking about the reason I was there then we moved on to other things like the abuse I got from my brother and then went back my experiences like my cross dressing. I asked if her she can refer me to as Vivian and use female pronouns which felt good.

She said that she can see that I have a lot of stress and trauma. Trauma/ stress from the 25 years of abuse and stress from my gender issues. I am glad I went to see her, it felt so good to get that off my chest. My next session is in two weeks which she plans to talk about what is involved transitioning and how to deal with stress. If things go well in the next few sessions she may have a talk to my doctor about hormones, we just have to see how things go.

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Just had my first session
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:57:19 pm »
@VivianB
Dear Vivian:
I am so very pleased that you had a good first encounter with your Therapist.
As the reply comments indicated on your other thread regarding being nervous about meeting with your therapist....  we all told you that your nervousness is normal at first but as you get into the sessions that would all diminish.
A good therapist will make it a point to make you feel comfortable and willing to share.

I am so happy that you are at ease now and can have some fruitful conversations regarding your transition journey.

Thank you for sharing and posting....  never post more than you are comfortable with but do know that all of us here are your biggest fans and rooting for your success.

HUGS and more HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 11:22:57 pm »
Last week I made this topic about about finding a therapist https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,254314.0.html

and I finally had my first session today. The session went really well, when it first started I was really nervous but once we got to talking I calmed down. We first started by talking about the reason I was there then we moved on to other things like the abuse I got from my brother and then went back my experiences like my cross dressing. I asked if her she can refer me to as Vivian and use female pronouns which felt good.

She said that she can see that I have a lot of stress and trauma. Trauma/ stress from the 25 years of abuse and stress from my gender issues. I am glad I went to see her, it felt so good to get that off my chest. My next session is in two weeks which she plans to talk about what is involved transitioning and how to deal with stress. If things go well in the next few sessions she may have a talk to my doctor about hormones, we just have to see how things go.
@VivianB

Vivian-

That's great news!  I'm really glad that you had a good first experience with your new therapist!  Your future sessions will be easier as you build your relationship with your therapist.  Being able to finally talk and get your concerns off your chest is a huge win!

Hugs!

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Offline VivianB

• Neighbor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 10:12:06 pm »
I cannot wait till my next session, my therapist is super nice which is good and easy to talk with. She thinks I should have weekly sessions, which I would love to have but not possible so I will be having bi-weekly sessions. What is funny is that my first session went 15 minutes over.

It feels kinda odd that after 25 years of struggling with my gender I am finally doing something about it.

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 10:37:28 pm »
@VivianB
Dear Vivian:
Positive steps....  I am so glad that the therapy and your therapist are working out well for you.
It is always a positive sign when you are actually looking forward to your next session.

Keep the updates coming.   We are all rooting for your success and happiness.

HUGS and best wishes,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Online sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 10:45:03 pm »
Yay! So glad that things went well. It does feel so good to finally blab everything, yes???

And you will be dying to head back over the next two weeks — totally understandable given how much there is to talk about.

Best of luck and definitely keep us posted.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 05:54:16 am »
I can still remember my first visit to a therapist.

I was a bit uncomfortable opening my deepest secrets to someone I did not know, but I just held my breath for a second or two and walked in and told my therapist, "This is who I am and this is where I need to be." Part way through my first visit, I was feeling much more comfortable talking about the issues I have been struggling with for as long as I can remember.

The only thing I regret is not seeking professional counselling sooner.  :-X

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 06:20:05 am »

Vivian,

It sounds like your first session went well and that is great!
Super!

Chrissy

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Tags: