Author Topic: Childhood?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Jane.Shannon

• Friend
Childhood?
« on: October 09, 2020, 10:35:43 pm »
How do you refer to your childhood?

I feel unauthentic using the "when I was a little girl..." But I don't really want to use "when I was a little boy..."  I find myself saying, "when i was a kid or a child..."
July 2020: Full Time
Aug 2019: Started HRT
Dec 2019: Hair Feminization Surgery

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Childhood?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 10:57:52 pm »

I feel unauthentic using the "when I was a little girl..." But I don't really want to use "when I was a little boy..."  I find myself saying, "when i was a kid or a child..."

@Jane.Shannon
Dear Jane:
I mostly agree with you regarding referring to myself when I was younger and growing up as a kid or as a child ...and not necessarily specifying gender.  ...
.....  However
Most every person in my wide circle of friends and most people in my small town are aware my past life before I relocated here just a month after I went full-time  to start my woman-owned small business. 

In some conversations I do talk about when I was younger and was a young boy in school.... that kind of conversation doesn't make me feel any more or less authentic....  it is the truth and I embrace the fact that I made a life-changing decision that made me happy and fulfilled. 
I pleasantly find that most people are certainly inquisitive at first, and almost all are very supportive and accepting.

Thank you for sharing your viewpoint on the subject.
HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 05:40:30 am »
I just say "when I was younger" or something like that. I leave out the gender reference.

I am semi-stealth, open to friends and family, but not everybody. I don't see any reason to out myself to strangers.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 07:32:37 am »
By habit, I refer to my age in those kinds of conversations (ex. 'When I was six years old....').

It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 07:40:14 am »
I played with other girls, I collected rhinestones and doilies, I craved an Easy Bake Oven, and I even rode a girl's bike. I had a de facto girlhood.

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 08:57:55 am »
Hello Jane

Either I follow the same practice as you or the same practice as TSL_NB.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline Make97

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 07:45:01 am »
I say something like "when I was little kid or "pentu" as we say in Finnish. Definelty feels strange and wrong to refer myself as a little girl but I'm pretty much in the closet about this so it happens a lot.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 09:06:42 am »
I say kid. ”When I was a kid I put the lawn outside school on fire.” ”When I was a kid I did build my own bike from parts I found outdoors.”

Never said ”me and the other girls” or anything like that. I did not even have girls as friends. I thought they were boring, overly sensetive and hated soccer. Especially when I kicked a ball in someone’s stomach and they started crying and never wanted to play with me again.

Oh well. You can’t be loved by everyone.

Online barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 11:54:28 am »

Interesting. In my native language (Korean), there are various words for boy and girl, but most people use genderless nouns when denoting childhood like "kids" and "children" in English. When calling customers in the store, we also use genderless nouns more frequently than gender-specific ones. This became a trend partly because of the influence of feminism.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Online Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
  • Friend
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 07:31:43 am »
I have had a difficult time in having those around me gender me properly.  Sadly, it is only those who I know and actually care about that struggle.  It appears as though to everyone who does not know my past, that I pass wonderfully.  However for family, friends, and coworkers what I frequently here is "I'm sorry, it's just that I knew you as a man for so long, it is really hard for me to gender you properly now." 

So...... recently I told them all, stop thinking of me as ever existing as a male, as I never have been.  Even though I may have been presenting differently than I am now, I have always been female.  Thus I asked them to try and "lie" for me, and always refer to me as having been female for my entire life.  I only quote lie as it appears to be a lie for them, but not for me as I understand my truth.  Being as I asked that of them, I expect the same for myself and I have begun referring to myself as having grown up female. 

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 10:03:27 am »
I say kid. ”When I was a kid I put the lawn outside school on fire.” ”When I was a kid I did build my own bike from parts I found outdoors.”

Never said ”me and the other girls” or anything like that. I did not even have girls as friends. I thought they were boring, overly sensetive and hated soccer. Especially when I kicked a ball in someone’s stomach and they started crying and never wanted to play with me again.

Oh well. You can’t be loved by everyone.

Pity we weren't neighbors, Tony. I could have traded my Daisy BB gun, a gift from my dad, for your Easy Bake Oven or its equivalent.

Offline MeTony

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 01:15:11 pm »
Pity we weren't neighbors, Tony. I could have traded my Daisy BB gun, a gift from my dad, for your Easy Bake Oven or its equivalent.
Ooopss. Never had those toys. My grandmother insisted on buying me a dollhouse. Mom sad ”don’t do that” over and over. Buuuut grandmother was stubborn and bought me a dollhouse anyway. 

I said. Cool. A new garage for på trucks and cars!

Dolls? My baby sister got them. I had Luke Skywalker action figure. It was my only doll.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 06:56:43 pm »
Tony, you did a great job of standing your ground and living an authentic childhood.

Offline CarlyMcx

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 03:52:19 am »
Just because I looked like a boy, was forcibly raised as one, and tried my best to do boyish things to prove myself, does not mean that I ever was a boy.

I was a little girl.  And there were plenty of times when I did girlish things.  For example, I played concert flute.

I always say, “When I was a girl,” or “When I was a little girl.”

Because I was a girl.  And I still am.

Offline SailorMooo

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 09:19:36 pm »

Hey Jane.Shannon, i refer to myself as she/her when i was a child or by gender neutral labels.. "when i was a child" "a kid" "a teen" or "growing up" simply because nobody will recognize me or know who i truly was all the time. I am true and live a good life now, but it is still a sense of dysphoria and disrespect to label myself anything else. That little girl went through what most do not and she had to prove herself as a teen and now as an adult.

Thanks for post and question,

SailorMooo

Offline Virelai

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 10:47:08 pm »
I generally don't gender myself in such contexts, but I think that's part of me just finding ways to word talking about me without a gender since I couldn't refer to myself as female throughout all of the years.

In reality, I have no problem saying "When I was a little girl", because I was a little girl, even though people didn't realize it. Heck, I even have a drawing from when I was super young where I said I was a girl, and my aunt attests to me talking about it way back then, so... It was so back then.

Offline Ryuichi13

• Rhee-yoo-ee-chee (say it fast!)
  • Family
  • Tee, Tea or T? (^_~)
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 11:31:19 am »
I say "when I was younger."

It feels weird to say that, knowing that I'm nearly 59 now! 

Get offa my lawn!

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Offline Margrit

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 01:22:08 pm »
I say "when I was younger" or "when I was a kid".... something like that, I leave out the gender reference.
If a man can make you smile,
even if you don't want to,
then you love him.

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 08:21:53 pm »
Nobody notices the shortcut when i say "when i was little".
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Offline SailorMooo

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2020, 06:48:37 pm »
Nobody notices the shortcut when i say "when i was little".

Lady Sarah lols cute  :D

Tags: