General Discussions > Sports

Played tennis for the first time since starting transition - yay!

(1/3) > >>

sarahc:
I have written a couple of posts on here about worries related to playing tennis post-transition. It has been about 15 months since I last played tennis.

So today, I decided to head down to Washington, DC to play as part of the LGBT Tennis club down there. As with most LGBT tennis clubs, it's mostly gay guys, which is fine. I got matched up to play doubles with three middle-aged guys, and we all were at a similar skill level. And they were all very chill about me being trans. So very fun tennis indeed - lots of great points.

The one thing I noticed, however, is how much arm strength I had lost - wow! Swinging that racquet the first time, my racquet felt so heavy, especially when I was trying to serve. I never remember the racquet feeling so heavy, even after prior extended tennis breaks. I don't know if it's the hormones or aging or the lack of arm exercise (or a little of all those things), but I have to do some work toning up those arms. My triceps in particular really need some work. So I'll focus on that starting this week.

But otherwise, really great day and an important day for me. Thought I would share.  :)

Sarah

ChrissyRyan:

--- Quote from: sarahc on October 11, 2020, 05:59:05 pm ---I have written a couple of posts on here about worries related to playing tennis post-transition. It has been about 15 months since I last played tennis.

So today, I decided to head down to Washington, DC to play as part of the LGBT Tennis club down there. As with most LGBT tennis clubs, it's mostly gay guys, which is fine. I got matched up to play doubles with three middle-aged guys, and we all were at a similar skill level. And they were all very chill about me being trans. So very fun tennis indeed - lots of great points.

The one thing I noticed, however, is how much arm strength I had lost - wow! Swinging that racquet the first time, my racquet felt so heavy, especially when I was trying to serve. I never remember the racquet feeling so heavy, even after prior extended tennis breaks. I don't know if it's the hormones or aging or the lack of arm exercise (or a little of all those things), but I have to do some work toning up those arms. My triceps in particular really need some work. So I'll focus on that starting this week.

But otherwise, really great day and an important day for me. Thought I would share.  :)

Sarah

--- End quote ---

Sarah,

That sounds good for having a nice day on the courts!  Yay!

Chrissy

Northern Star Girl:
@sarahc
Dear Sarah:
Thank you for sharing regarding getting back to your tennis activities.
It sounds like that you had a wonderful and accepting time playing tennis
at the LGBT Tennis club in Washington, DC...

While I have not played much tennis, I can attest to my own muscle loss as a result of my transition journey and the effects of HRT and my planned weight loss at the start of my journey over 5+ years ago...., arms, legs, back, etc.  I never ever was a strong and muscle bound person but I am not near as strong as I was when I was going to college before I decided to transition. 

I try to continue to stay toned and in shape by doing a lot of walking, participating in charity runs and marathons, and my weekly trips to the gym with my  gym-gals group. 

All of that was just about completely interrupted with my very sprained ankle a couple weeks ago.  I have not gotten rid of my crutches and am once again getting back to regular exercise, but I am being very careful with my ankle .....  still some pain and stiffness but it is getting better every day.

Again, thank you for sharing your good news report...
HUGS,
Danielle

Laura1951:
Welcome back to tennis. I'm fortunate to play with four friends I'm out to, so I can be Laura once a week with them. You're right about losing strength. My serves and forehand are much more returnable now.

Laura

sarahc:

--- Quote from: Laura1951 on October 11, 2020, 06:33:21 pm ---Welcome back to tennis. I'm fortunate to play with four friends I'm out to, so I can be Laura once a week with them. You're right about losing strength. My serves and forehand are much more returnable now.

Laura

--- End quote ---

Laura,

So glad to hear that you've found a group to play with consistently...I really need that, but don't have it yet. Also, it's approaching winter here, and with COVID hanging around I'm not playing tennis indoors.

Fortunately, you don't have that winter problem where you are!

Sarah

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version