Author Topic: Surgeons who work with HIV + clientele??? Are there any?  (Read 455 times)

Offline Rio Roy

• Visitor
Surgeons who work with HIV + clientele??? Are there any?
« on: July 07, 2020, 03:18:00 pm »
I am soooo sorry if asking this is against the rules. I’m not sure how to search on this site and I’ve searched for this topic all throughout google and have yet to find an answer. If there are already threads on this topic, PLEASE point me in the direction. I’m new, please don’t chew me up.

Is there a list of surgeons in the States that work with HIV + (undetectable) patients or do most surgeons turn you down with this diagnosis? I really would like to get some good feed back on this. I have been wondering this for years and feel like this is the only thing stopping me from living my best me! Sorry if I’m breaking any rules. Bless everyone!

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Surgeons who work with HIV + clientele??? Are there any?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:27:58 pm »
I am soooo sorry if asking this is against the rules. I’m not sure how to search on this site and I’ve searched for this topic all throughout google and have yet to find an answer. If there are already threads on this topic, PLEASE point me in the direction. I’m new, please don’t chew me up.

Is there a list of surgeons in the States that work with HIV + (undetectable) patients or do most surgeons turn you down with this diagnosis? I really would like to get some good feed back on this. I have been wondering this for years and feel like this is the only thing stopping me from living my best me! Sorry if I’m breaking any rules. Bless everyone!

@Rio Roy
Dear Rio Roy
    Thank you for coming to the Forums.
    I am most pleased that you had decided to join the Susan's Place site.

Please know that I am not trying to sidetrack your questions and thoughts.... but first, please allow me to officially welcome you here. then certainly other members will help to answer your questions.
    Thank you for writing your first postings.... as you get more involved in exchanging comments on various posts other members will be along to offer their thoughts and comments in response to any of your specific questions and concerns..

This is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation as you continue to feel free to share it.

I also want to warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***It's a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

There is information and important LINKS that I have included below.   You will find information about the site that will help you navigate around and best utilize the features here.   
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that all new members should be familiar with:

Things that you should read
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 03:31:32 pm »
@Rio Roy
Dear Rio Roy:

Please look closely at the informative and important LINKS that I provide at the end of my Welcome Message to you... 
Look at
POST RANKS, you will then see that you can use the Forums Private Messaging once you have 15 quality posts, not one-liners... post padding is not allowed.

OH, another thing....  Please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum to tell more members about yourself!

With more exposure to more members here you will be able to get more responses to your questions and concerns.

Wishing you well as you continue to be involved in the forums.

NOTE: Now, after all of this Greeting and Welcoming stuff, I will give you and others the thread back so that the conversation can continue.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:09:57 pm »
Hello Rio,

I do not have a direct answer for you, but the best way to find out is to start calling doctors of your choice and ask.  You probably can get an answer directly from a medical assistant who knows the doctor's or clinic's rules/regulations for this.  A good place to start would be in the San Francisco area where there are several very qualified and reputable surgeons.

One other recommendation besides having a doctor priority list is what procedures you are looking for.  I just posted in another thread that I had 2 recent surgeries, BA and FFS, and I do not remember the doctor even asking about that, though I could have forgotten.  Out here the the SF Bay Area the surgeons and medical staff are very familiar with what precautions they need to take when they do not know if a patient has HIV and when they do know.  I would guess they treat you about the same, and maybe just be a little more careful with those procedures already in place.

So, calling and asking is the best way to go.  Good luck,

Allie

PS:  I just searched here by typing "HIV" into the search bar and found a post from 2014.  You could do a deeper search using different words or word combinations.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Kate.claire

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 06:20:12 pm »
I certainly don't have your lived experience Rio, so don't have direct experience to provide, but it would seem from some quick legal research that your HIV+ status is mostly not going to be an issue in the United States.  There have been several cases won by HIV+ patients who were refused services for their HIV+ status.  A quote from a La Jolla plastic surgeon in one of the legal cases seems promising.

“There may be different reasons a physician is uncomfortable performing a specific surgery on any particular patient, including a higher potential risk of complications like infection. In that case, they may refer the patient to someone else. But typically, an HIV positive patient who has clearance from his or her physician, a low viral load and high T-cell counts, may be a candidate to undergo cosmetic surgical procedures. Today’s drugs for HIV are better than they were in the past, and patients are now often leading long, normal lives, so we are seeing many more of them seeking aesthetic surgery now.”

Given your undetectable status, it would seem on the surface that this isn't going to present a major obstacle for you in finding the procedures you want.  I'd shop your surgeons just like anyone else, you just have an extra item to tick off in your discussions with the surgeons.  In this instance, the law seems to be on your side, you are a human being with rights like everyone else.  Good luck!

Offline Rio Roy

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:00:46 am »
Thank you all so much!

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 05:59:56 pm »

Is there a list of surgeons in the States that work with HIV + (undetectable) patients or do most surgeons turn you down with this diagnosis?

I had my initial consult with my surgeon (Keelee) last October.

And my surgery 4 months ago.

The subject of HIV never came up.

I am sure my Keelee took all necessary precautions, as would any competent surgeon.

It is likely one of those "don't ask, don't tell" situations.
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Offline Rio Roy

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 10:43:35 pm »
I had my initial consult with my surgeon (Keelee) last October.

And my surgery 4 months ago.

The subject of HIV never came up.

I am sure my Keelee took all necessary precautions, as would any competent surgeon.

It is likely one of those "don't ask, don't tell" situations.

Hey! can you pm me... if not we can chat in here. I tried to pm you but I couldn't find where it was.

Offline reborn

• Friend
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 01:36:26 am »
I have seen a video of  Dr Bowers  examining an HIV positive patient and scheduling a surgery date. I think that she doesn't have problem operating on HIV positive patients. Still you should check with her office. Good luck!

Tags: