Author Topic: The differences between "getting ready" as a man and as a woman.  (Read 609 times)

Offline CosmicJoke

• Friend
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. What I have found is basically this: Getting ready as a man is possible. Most men could pretty much say they are actually "ready." Getting ready as a woman on the other hand is an almost impossible task that pretty much carries you out through the entire day.
It's not my intention to be stereotypical. I realize that every man and woman is different, but I was just wondering if any of you here have taken more pride in your appearance since transition?

Online Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: The differences between "getting ready" as a man and as a woman.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 03:11:37 pm »
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. What I have found is basically this: Getting ready as a man is possible. Most men could pretty much say they are actually "ready." Getting ready as a woman on the other hand is an almost impossible task that pretty much carries you out through the entire day.
It's not my intention to be stereotypical. I realize that every man and woman is different, but I was just wondering if any of you here have taken more pride in your appearance since transition?
@CosmicJoke
For many transitioners and just about everyone ...  taking pride in our appearance should be a normal thing to do.
Sure, we have all seen men and women that really don't care about how they look but more to the point of your post and questions, certainly "getting ready" as a man is fairly simple, perhaps a quick daily shower, teeth brushed, and "throw on" the appropriate clothes (that might have been laying on the bedroom floor) for whatever is planned for the day... and a haircut every two weeks or so.  Gettng ready for the day can be a quick 15 or 20 minute task.

On the other hand, getting ready as a woman involves a longer shower, hair washing, drying and brushing,  makeup, nail polish if needed, lip gloss, eyeliner, brush teeth, deodorant, jewelry, etc... and usually much more care taken in clothing such as matching colors and patterns, and keeping clothes pressed and clean.  Shoe selection is much more involved for a woman than for a man.

Most mornings, for me, the task of getting ready to go to my office where I am a CPA, involves about 45 minutes to an hour..... and that does not include cosmetic things like manicures, fingernail and toenail polish, hair trimming and styling, etc.

There is much more that I could say but I will leave it the way it is.

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 03:40:22 pm »
Cosmic,

I always took pride in how I dressed as a male, professional mode with suits and ties, casual smart when meeting or going out with friends, and casual when at home doing whatever.  As a crossdresser, where I started all this, I took special care to be extra sharp and be able to blend in and, also, call attention to myself for my personal taste in outfits.  As a full time trans woman, I still take pride in how I always present from going out to just doing my daily routines.  As a transwoman, I do take my time when shopping to find those things that feel right for the moment and also show me off to the world at the same time, not too flashy, but maybe a step or two better presentation than the rest of the women out there.

My first two summers full time I wore coordinated outfits, shorts, tops and color of sandals, when do my daily routines.  This summer I have worn a lot of strappy sun dresses because I had my BA a year ago and because I can and and like to wear them.  I also wore some short outfits, a few summer dresses and shorter summer skirts.

So, as a male I took pride in how I dressed, and now as a retired female I take pride and a little more care in how I present daily.

Allie

PS:  Ever since going full time I have stopped using makeup, except for my regular use and touch up of my lipstick.  I wear a watch, ring finger ring(s) and rarely a bracelet.  I also wear a simple gold necklace with small pendant and sometimes add another gold necklace to go with it.  I worry most about keeping my older and then hair in place and keeping that lipstick still visible throughout the day.
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 04:47:27 pm »

Agree - everything takes much longer:

* Longer hair requires more care + blow-drying
* You actually have to invest time in daily facial care
* Make up. Even basic make up requires a few minutes. More make up details requires more time.
* Picking out outfits
* Picking out accessories

It used to take me 20 minutes to wake up and get out the door looking presentable. Now I need 45 minutes at a minimum. I can imagine when we have going-out events again at some point in the future, it will easily take me an hour to get ready.

PLUS: you have to add the investment in non-daily grooming that is required, ie: nails, longer hairsalon sessions, body hair shaving / grooming, etc. It all adds up to a lot more time.

Me personally, I am not a huge fan of this additional time investment. I am a VERY casual person.

But this investment in grooming is what is expected for professional women in today's society, especially for in-person interactions. So I do it when I have to. But I do treasure days when I have no meetings and therefore can simply hop out of the shower each day, throw on some clothes and get to work.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 04:48:46 pm »
@CosmicJoke

I think the same pride of appearance is there, but what that actually means in terms of activity is vastly different.   For me the biggest part is skin tone- it's one thing that males generally don't care about, and women most definitely do.  I also spend a larger amount of time shaving.   So something that is 15-20 mins as a man is well over an hour as a woman- longer if I decide to bathe instead of shower.  To keep it under control as I've been "dressed" most of the time- I will split up the necessary tasks, and generally only put on makeup when I'm about to head out of the house.  That keeps my morning routine to about 30 minutes with another 30 minutes needed before I leave the house.

Hugs!

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

In a sky full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy? - Seal

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 06:20:54 pm »
I rarely brushed my hair and wore shorts and tank tops in the male role. In the female role, I rarely brush my hair and wear shorts and tank tops. I also don't wear makeup and nail polish. I'm a gardener and I wear sturdy, comfy clothes for gardening.

Offline MeTony

I never did these things in ”woman-mode”. I was ready in 5 minutes. Just as now. Shower. Let hair dry while putting on deo and dressing. Smack som wax on my palm and run it through my hair. Done.

I’ve tried to use the bathtub. My husband and son are keen users of the tub. For me it’s like ”hot-hot-hot-some cursing” while stepping into the water. More cursing because it’s hot. Then I get used to the temperature. Aaannnnddd...now what? Getting restless. Getting bored. What happens now? What happens next? I wash up and get out of the tub. My record of longest bath is....10 minutes. Haha

Offline Jane.Shannon

• Friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 09:29:03 pm »
The biggest difference isn't the time and effort. It's that I want to wear the clothes versus have to, and I like who I see in mirror tons better. 
July 2020: Full Time
Aug 2019: Started HRT
Dec 2019: Hair Feminization Surgery

Offline AllieSF

• Ain't Life Grand!!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 10:12:02 pm »
I like your answer Jane!

Allie
HRT - February 2017
Full Time - July 2018
Orchi - January 2018
BA - September 25, 2019
FFS - January 10, 2020
GRS - TBDDD (To Be Determined, Decision and Date)

Offline Harley Quinn

• Family
  • I am crazy... Crazy like a fox!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 01:33:01 pm »
Yup, the difference is about 3 hours.
At what point did my life go Looney Tunes? How did it happen? Who's to blame?... Batman, that's who. Batman! It's always been Batman! Ruining my life, spoiling my fun! >:-)

Offline Pammie

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 02:11:52 pm »
The biggest difference isn't the time and effort. It's that I want to wear the clothes versus have to, and I like who I see in mirror tons better.
Perfectly summed up! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: