Author Topic: Travel safety Southern USA  (Read 933 times)

Offline RachelTG

Travel safety Southern USA
« on: October 20, 2020, 08:20:03 am »
I will be driving from Florida to Colorado in a few weeks. I will be traveling through Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. I can pass okay with my mask and sunglasses on but am concerned that I may be clocked. Any thoughts or suggestions? I will be with my wife and she will be my wing girl when needed.

Thanks

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Travel safety Southern USA
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:14:00 pm »
In the early stages of my transition, I dressed very androgynously. I got misgendered about half the time. When I was misgendered, I just looked around and acted a bit puzzled. I did not make a big deal about being misgendered. I just acted like a big tomboy/farmgirl who just came to town for a while.  ;D

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 11:06:06 pm »
Hi Rachel, my wife and I did that exact thing 18 months ago. Although I wasn't presenting female and therefore not at risk, I was very aware of the people and situations that could have been iffy had I been out.

First, if you're along interstate highways they are very used to all kinds of people and you won't likely have problems.

We did visit some small and rural places, but everyone we met seemed friendly and modern. We didn't encounter any "Deliverance" situations. Not that they don't exist, but people who deal with the traveling public and with tourists tend to just want to get along. They want your business.

I did drive alone Colorado to California and back all in femme mode back about the same time. No problems even in rural New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and, yes, Utah.

Enjoy the trip and I hope you have an awesome time.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randy's HRT Journal

Offline Sophiaprincess2019

• www.tickerfactory.com
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:12:39 am »
Rachel,

I'm a professional truck driver, Owner Operator. I travel in those areas extensively and I have no problems. When I'm in a small town where I don't know the local reaction to transgender women I simply keep to myself and go about my day with confidence. The more nervous you are people pick up on that and may wonder why. When in Rome is the way I generally operate. If you get out of your car looking around like someone is about to get you, someone just might.

Try not to draw attention to yourself and the traveling public won't pay any attention to you.  I do it daily. Also wear neutral clothing that doesn't create a reaction from the public. That hot pink plastic mini skirt, neon yellow top, fish net stocking, 6 inch heel outfit might not be the best clothing choice for this particular trip. It also might not be the best time to experiment with a radical new makeup look! You'll be fine.

Have fun on your trip.

Sophia
1968 Assigned male at birth with feminine mannerisms
1978 Dolls and dresses
1988 Experimental stage, limited makeup and clothes
1998 Denial continues, unsuccessfully tried living as a man
12-8-2018 Knew I was a woman, time for a change....
2-22-2019 Started HRT
8-9-2019 Legal Name Change
8-14-2019 New Drivers License issued with correct gender
9-5-2019 Social Security card updated
10-12-2019 Birth certificate updated
2-22-2020 One year HRT

Offline RachelTG

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 10:09:04 am »
Thanks everyone. I am usually understated. I guess it's more using the woman's restrooms and having an issue. My Colorado drivers license id's me as female so maybe I am okay with that?

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 03:33:19 pm »
Yup a driver's license ought to be enough. If somebody challenges you for a birth certificate, demand to see theirs

I also look for gender neutral bathrooms which are becoming common. Starbucks reliably has those.

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

Offline Jennifer300

There are gender neutral restroom apps too.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 06:04:27 am »
One is called "Refugee" and it lets people find gender-neutral bathrooms or even add them so others can find them.  There are likely more apps like this out there, but this is one if you are looking for one.   

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.refugerestrooms&hl=en_US&gl=US

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 09:40:43 am »
Thanks everyone. I am usually understated. I guess it's more using the woman's restrooms and having an issue. My Colorado drivers license id's me as female so maybe I am okay with that?

I like returning my own organic and eco-friendly fertilizer to mother nature while traveling in desolate areas. While wearing a skirt, it is easier, and that is a reason why I prefer skirts. The skirt becomes a kind of tent.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Lady Sarah

• Yes, it's another Sarah
  • Family
  • I love my hubby
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 12:54:04 am »
I have been living in the South for quite some time. Some areas are worse than others. If you can avoid tiny towns, you will not draw as much attention. Likewise, huge cities will have a certain population of those whom like to clock people for their own amusement.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016

Offline RachelTG

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 07:53:15 am »
I think our plans are to travel from West Palm Beach across to the gulf and then around the pan-handle of Florida. We will head to New Orleans for a day or 2 then follow the Mississippi up towards Nashville. From there we haven't decided. I will be cautious and I am not flamboyant at all. I am out full time locally here in Colorado and this will further my confidence.

Thanks again for all the feedback. 

Offline Oldandcreaky

• Family
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 08:48:05 am »
Nashville is liberal. Eat, eat, eat in New Orleans. Be on guard in the panhandle. That's quite conservative.

Offline RandyL

• On the way
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 01:09:10 pm »
Pay attention to the oncoming tropical storm or hurricane Zeta. Areas along the northern Gulf Coast have been hammered multiple times already this year and may not be fully ready for travelers.

Offline RachelTG

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 02:51:33 pm »
Pay attention to the oncoming tropical storm or hurricane Zeta. Areas along the northern Gulf Coast have been hammered multiple times already this year and may not be fully ready for travelers.

Thanks, we are checking the weather in our path. Tomorrow we head to Sanibel, Florida

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 07:37:11 pm »
Rachel,

In Florida, keep an eye on the weather. We have another storm headed this way for this weekend, Nov 7 & 8. Predictions are for a TD or Cat 1 hurricane.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline RachelTG

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 06:57:37 am »
Update... so far I have spent time in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana and have had no issues. I was semi clocked by one lady but just as she passed by. I have gained confidence in my passing from this trip.

Offline RachelTG

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 07:55:22 pm »
Home today and I had a blast. Spent two days in Ft. Myers in my bathing suit then two days in New Orleans. Traveled from there back to Northern Colorado. I got a few looks but no hassles at all. I even had lunch at a Cracker Barrel in Jonesboro, AR. I feel more and more confident to be in public as me full time.

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 12:04:29 am »
Rachel-

Really glad to hear you had a fun, and a safe, trip!

Hugs!

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Tags: