Author Topic: Pope Endorses Same-Sex Civil Unions in New Documentary Film  (Read 275 times)

Offline Lori Dee

• Visitor
Pope Endorses Same-Sex Civil Unions in New Documentary Film
« on: October 22, 2020, 12:41:08 am »
Pope Endorses Same-sex Civil Unions in New Documentary Film

By Associated Press and posted by BREITBART

Oct 21, 2020

ROME (AP) — Pope Francis endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary “Francesco,” which had its premiere at the Rome Film Festival on Wednesday.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Link to full article:

https://www.breitbart.com/news/pope-endorses-same-sex-civil-unions-in-new-documentary-film/

_______________________________________________________________________________________
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 08:04:25 am by Rakel »

Offline NYC Nurse

• Visitor
Re: Pope Endorses Same-Sex Civil Unions in New Documentary Film
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 06:35:38 am »
Hi Lori,
This is great news for the LGBTQ+ community! Another step forward for equality.  I totally support the right for anyone who desires marriage to be able to do so legally, more importantly it opens the door for inclusivity and hopefully reduces stigma and discrimination against the LGBTQ+ community.
~NYC Nurse 

Offline KateR

• Kate
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 05:08:28 pm »
As a Catholic and trans, this is great news.

I always have felt that Pope Francis was the breath of fresh air that is desperately need by the church!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate

Offline SailorMooo

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:27:24 pm »
Pope Endorses Same-sex Civil Unions in New Documentary Film

By Associated Press and posted by BREITBART

Oct 21, 2020

ROME (AP) — Pope Francis endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary “Francesco,” which had its premiere at the Rome Film Festival on Wednesday.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Link to full article:

https://www.breitbart.com/news/pope-endorses-same-sex-civil-unions-in-new-documentary-film/

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Oh my gosh, thanks ! Will follow the link !

SailorMooo

Offline NYC Nurse

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 06:43:17 am »
Hi Kate,
Your picture looks like a fun group of gals!
     I'm wondering if you can help me. I had a recent experience in class, we had spent a lot of time discussing healthcare inequities which impact minority groups, my focus was on the LGBTQ+ community.  Two nurses started reciting scripture that stated the old arguments man/woman, Adam/Eve, procreation passages, in addition saying it was the only way.  I told them they were offensive to me, the LGBTQ+ community and any other students who didn't follow their specific religion. 
     I want to better understand how you manage your faith, and religion.  Is there anything you do to balance being Trans with your spirituality?  I think it could help me dealing with nurses like this and with future patients.
Thank You,
~NYC Nurse   

Offline KateR

• Kate
Pope Endorses Same-Sex Civil Unions in New Documentary Film
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 02:46:00 pm »
Hi NYC Nurse:

My first suggestion is to find a quiet place, have your favorite drink, sit down, and relax.  This is going to be a long post.

First, the easiest answer you should consider is to just be who you are.  Just exist as you are and in the manner that gives you the most happiness.  It’s awfully hard to deny the existence of a happy person in your midst.

Secondly, realize that people will believe what they choose to believe.  It is difficult and time consuming to work to changes somebody’s belief, especially when they don’t want to change.  I would encourage you to give some thought as to whether trying to change their beliefs is worth the effort and frustration to you.

Third, as you noted, the clobber phrases that were presented were from Genesis.  Most people don’t realize, that while Judiasm, Islam, and Christianity all see their faiths as based on the ‘inspired word of God,’ it is not historical; although history can provide context to what was written. 

Specifically, if I tell you there are only two colors, black and white, your going to tell me, and rightly so, there is a whole spectrum of colors.  As such there is a whole spectrum to God’s creation.  There is an enormous number of plants and animals that inhabit this earth.  They’re all different, and all alive with life. Some animals, I’m thinking earthworms are both sexes.  Some fish spontaneously change sex.  Most plants are sorta both sexes.  With such a variety I can’t believe God intended there to be only two opposites, and nothing in the middle.

You can also think of the creation of the earth.  Specifically, (1:12) ‘every kind of plant that bears seed and every kind of fruit tree on earth that bears fruit with it’s seed in it.’  There’s no binary there.  Genesis acknowledges a spectrum.  Additionally (1:20 - 22) Then God said: let the water teem with an abundance of living creatures, and on the earth let birds fly beneath the dome of the sky.  God created the great sea monsters and all kinds of crawling living creatures with which the water teems, and all kinds of winged birds.) I still don’t read a binary.  Finally Genesis (1:24) says ‘Then God said; Let the earth bring forth every kind of living creature: tame animals, crawling things, and every kind of wild animal.  (Am I beating a dead horse?)

So where do we come off thinking binary when it comes to humans?

To get back to my historical context:  Just remember that Genesis was written to a minority population who believe their key to survival was procreation.  Anything that didn’t further that goal was purported to be sinful.

Fourth, your classmates comments also demean the people who are born intersex or ambiguous.  Yet should they choose a medical intervention to match up their bodies to how they see themselves, we don’t bat an eye.  (I’ll avoid the conversation of Doctors and Parents choosing for the child in this post.)

People when presented with this information, will want to turn to chromosomes.  We’ll even that is not a binary.  I’m XXY.  How does that fit into the XX vs. XY debate.  Finally, on this point, as I understand it, we’re finding instances where there are additional possible combinations that show up in humans other than XXY.

We think medicine is wonderful when we can correct a birth defect and enable that person to better live their life.  Why does gender correction have to be any different?

Fifth, when presented with the Genesis clobber phrases I prefer to remember these scriptures.

1) From the Gospel of Mathew (19:11-12):

But he said it them “Not all men can accept this statement, but only to those to whom it has been given. For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.  He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.”

In these words, my Jesus who met people wherever they were at in their lives without judgement or condemnation, pretty clearly states ‘we exist!’  He does call us to live loving and forgiving lives.  Yet he acknowledges us.

2) from the Acts of the Apostles (8:26-39)

But an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip saying, “Arise and go south to the road that descends from Jerusalem to Gaza.” (This is a desert road.) And he arose and went; and behold, there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure; and he had come to Jerusalem to worship. And he was returning and sitting in his chariot, and was reading the prophet Isaiah. And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go up and join this chariot.” And when Philip had run up, he heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this:
            “HE WAS LED AS A SHEEP TO SLAUGHTER;
            AND AS A LAMB BEFORE ITS SHEARER IS SILENT,
            SO HE DOES NOT OPEN HIS MOUTH.

“IN HUMILIATION HIS JUDGMENT WAS TAKEN AWAY;
            WHO SHALL RELATE HIS GENERATION?
            FOR HIS LIFE IS REMOVED FROM THE EARTH.”

And the eunuch answered Philip and said, “Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself, or of someone else?” And Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. And as they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?” [And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”] And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch saw him no more, but went on his way rejoicing.

In this scripture, I clearly see us being welcomed into God’s church!

So this is my scriptural background that I hang on to.

With that in mind I will be honest, it hasn’t always been easy.  I’ve been shunned by fellow parishioners.  I’ve had to give up some charitable work because I’ve changed.

What helps, especially with the Catholic Church, not every parish is the same.  Last year I changed parishes.  I had met with some shunning and covert bigotry at the old parish.  Where I’m at now the congregation is OK with me.  They may not understand, they may be uncomfortable with me, but they don’t ostracize me or are openly discriminatory.  Yes, I’m hanging on the edge of church cannon.  I know that. 

I just remember what the priest who officiated at my wedding once said.  During a casual conversation he said; “ I gotta believe the church is inspired with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  Otherwise we humans would have destroyed it multiple times over by now.”  We share the view that when Jesus returns to this earth, he’s going to be all over the Catholic Curia, and American Evangelicals, in just the same way he was all over the Sadducees and Pharisees. Therefore I believe in the end we WILL be vindicated in the sight of God, and recognized as just another example of the infinite variety of existence that God created.

That said, my current pastor simply has chosen not to judge me.  While he may have some reservations about what I have done and what I am doing, he at least is willing to leave that between God and me. He is willing to meet me, and minister to me where I am.  It also helps that this is a college town and there is already a Gay couple and another Trans Woman active in the congregation.

If you’re interested in looking at this further, I will recommend two books.  The first is Transforming: The Bible and the Lives of Transgender Christians by Austen Hartke.  The second is; What Does God Think by Cheryl B. Evans.

There is a third book, Unclobber: Rethinking Our Misuse of the Bible on Homosexuality by Colby Martin.  As indicated in the title it’s geared toward the homosexuality experience and not the transgender experience.

I hope in this post, you’ve found something that’s useful to you in your situation.  More importantly I ask that you don’t take the naysayers to seriously, and don’t let them get into you mind.  You are a wonderful and loved person in this world.  Please, always remember that.

Kate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kate

Offline NYC Nurse

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 06:58:09 pm »
Hi Kate,
What a great, well-thought out response.  Thank you for those great resources and references.  "I hope in this post, you’ve found something that’s useful to you in your situation" - how about everything you've said!  I'm going to reach out to you in the future should I have more questions. 
NYC Nurse

Tags: