Author Topic: Facebook not trans friendly  (Read 501 times)

Offline Debbie Marie

• Visitor
Facebook not trans friendly
« on: November 05, 2020, 05:22:32 am »
 Hi All , just want to share with you facebooks policy of requiring ID . I'm not fully out yet and won't be for a little while yet due to personal circumstances , anyway i started a facebook profile in Debbies name all was well for a week . I came to log on today and they've blocked me and require ID in the form of a drivers licence or passport , i have none as Debbie and now can't access the page or contact them . It's angered me somewhat and it feels like they are trying to out me , anyhow just thought i'd advise other girls if they're thinking of joining up and not out yet.
Take care all and stay safe

Offline Allie Jayne

Re: Facebook not trans friendly
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 05:47:55 am »
I've had my new FB page for almost a year, and no such identity has been required. I did close my old page as they link pages from the same IP address and invite all your old friends to join your new page. I can only think someone may have lodged a complaint with FB.

Hugs,

Allie

Offline Rachel_Christina

• Family
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 05:48:44 am »
That's so weird. I have never showed ID for any social media.
Not on my old male Facebook or my new female one either.
I never though any of that stuff had anything official to it,?

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 05:52:45 am »
If Facebook suspects your account may be fraudulent, they may lock it and say that to restore the account, you need to send them identification to verify that you are who you say you are.

But with all the recent scandals surrounding Facebook data breaches, why would the social media platform ask for something so personal as an ID?

Facebook says it would ask you to upload an id for two reasons: To confirm the account your trying to access is actually yours; or to confirm your name.

Facebook says they ask all users to go by their real names, though many users don't abide by that rule.
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
  • Friend
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:20:50 am »
Back a few years ago, when I had two names, FB locked my account because somebody reported my name as not being my real name, they wanted to see ID.  I wrote them and informed them that I am transgender and that the name was not my legal name, but my preferred name and the name that I was known by.  They responded and reopened my account.  This was awhile ago, so I don't remember the exact specifics of the event, but it was something along these lines. 

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 06:46:51 am »
Hi All , just want to share with you facebooks policy of requiring ID . I'm not fully out yet and won't be for a little while yet due to personal circumstances , anyway i started a facebook profile in Debbies name all was well for a week . I came to log on today and they've blocked me and require ID in the form of a drivers licence or passport , i have none as Debbie and now can't access the page or contact them . It's angered me somewhat and it feels like they are trying to out me , anyhow just thought i'd advise other girls if they're thinking of joining up and not out yet.
Take care all and stay safe

Facebook's terms and conditions say that you must use your real name...you didn't. The purpose of Facebook is for people to make social connections and find people, which their software actively does. All of my family and friends are on Facebook, and they all use their real names.

Facebook has Pride emojis, and actually created a specific transgender emoji this year. I don't think Facebook is inherently unfriendly to transgender people, they just want people to be upfront and honest about who they are. Frankly, given what they do, it makes the platform a safer, friendlier place.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 08:32:27 am »
The only annoyance I had was that in having two accounts, I would get people you know on my fem one that were on my male one and I had to wonder if they got do you know Gertrude. I am not out to most, so I had to make some changes. Eventually I closed the fem one because my wife gave me a hard time about it. Oh well. I've cut back on my FB activities of late anyway. It's not a good use of time for me.

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 01:49:34 pm »
Facebook never asked my ID. I use my real name. People in Facebook are open-minded and trans-friendly, IMO. Please look over my Facebook page, although most posts are in Korean, but still, you can see photos:  https://www.facebook.com/sukgeunjung

Cheers,

barbie~~
Just do it.

Tags: