Author Topic: How did you pick your name?  (Read 1545 times)

Online Pammie

Re: How did you pick your name?
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 01:26:07 pm »
My mother purposefully picked a gender-neutral name for me at birth, Cameron. I'll never be able to thank her enough for that.

Though I have picked up the new nickname of CeCe.
That’s really interesting - why would she have picked a gender neutral name though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LaRae

• "No one ever wetted clay and then left it, as if there would be bricks by chance and fortune."
  • Friend
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 03:07:06 pm »
That’s really interesting - why would she have picked a gender neutral name though?

She's always been very progressive-minded. I'm 29, born in 1991, & she could tell how society was changing at the time. She had the consideration & forethought to give me a neutral name so that, just in case of the off chance I did turn out Transgender, I wouldn't have the burden of a masculine name. The prescience & sheer good fortune of that is not lost on me, & I could never thank her enough for it.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."

Online Pammie

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 03:52:04 pm »
She's always been very progressive-minded. I'm 29, born in 1991, & she could tell how society was changing at the time. She had the consideration & forethought to give me a neutral name so that, just in case of the off chance I did turn out Transgender, I wouldn't have the burden of a masculine name. The prescience & sheer good fortune of that is not lost on me, & I could never thank her enough for it.
That’s actually quite scary isn’t it! Like she knew. Ooh, goosebumps! Xx

Offline terrik2016

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2020, 05:28:55 pm »
I had it easy.  I just swapped a y for an I and Terry was Terri.  Actually I was always Terri I just finally learned to spell my name correctly.  :)

Offline KathyLauren

• Casting off dull certainty
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2020, 07:37:09 pm »
I not only wanted to keep my initials, I wanted a feminine version of my male name.  Kathy was the closest I could come for my first name.  Lauren is a feminine version of my middle name.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly, beginning full-time; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2019-10-18 Phone consultation for GRS; 2020-03-11 GRS!; 2020-09-30 New birth certificate

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2020, 08:38:40 pm »
I'll join the wanting to keep my initials train- but in the end I didn't.  First and Last names are variants of my male-mode name, Middle name in honor of an incredible woman that I was very close to.  If I ever go fully public I'll probably reclaim my original last name (Yes, I've given myself a girl-mode "maiden name")

Hugs!

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Offline Susannah

• Neighbor
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2020, 02:41:46 pm »
This may sound strange but I pretended there was a female side within me when I was little.  Her name has always been Susannah.  Nothing even remotely related to my name.  She had distinct personality different from mine.  Over the years, my personality has been becoming more like hers.  I know now that she has always been me that I suppressed over the years.  In that sense, I always knew Susannah is my name.

Online Pammie

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2020, 03:17:00 pm »
This may sound strange but I pretended there was a female side within me when I was little.  Her name has always been Susannah.  Nothing even remotely related to my name.  She had distinct personality different from mine.  Over the years, my personality has been becoming more like hers.  I know now that she has always been me that I suppressed over the years.  In that sense, I always knew Susannah is my name.
Doesn’t sound strange at all - I had the same thing but my female side was always Pam because that was my initials

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »
“Sarah” is not my real name...it is just a screen name.

I had three rules for picking my real name:

1) it had to be a name that reflected my personality.
2) it had to be of English or Scottish heritage
3) it could not be the given name of any of my female friends and family or of wives of friends or family.

I then went through the top 1000 girl names. Just those three rules narrowed the list down to 5-6 names (a lot of strong names got eliminated because of the “no friends or family” rule, including of course “Sarah” which was a very popular name for my birth year).

The name that I ultimately chose was the pretty clear favorite of mine from the short list.

“Sarah”

Yep, pretty much my story.  Also another rule was it had to be equally pleasing and femme shortened, not an easy task!  My name was very popular for my gen, not so much now though.  I've always found this topic interesting.

- Jenny
- Jenny

Offline Toni1

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 04:44:47 pm »
After we were married we moved to a small town. People were curious about us and always asked my wife what my name was. She was getting a little annoyed sensing they were just gossips.  Just off the top of my head I told her to tell them Tony. Tony was my roommate before I was married. As I began my transition I found it convenient to keep my adopted name and just feminize it.

Offline JoJoWolfe

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2020, 07:17:10 am »
Long story .. aren’t they all  :D

My screen name is one I’ve always used for continuity based on two women I know.

My real name took a lot longer.

I was frustrated at going out with a man’s credit card and driver’s licence in my purse so the grand plan was to legally change to a gender neutral name beginning J, have an androgynous but leaning to feminine photograph taken for my passport and licence then have my bank accounts, cards and licence changed with the option not to have a title. At this stage I anticipated still being in the closet for another three years.

I wanted to retain the same initials and after research found a Scandinavian name, Joni, it was pronounced differently as a girl - as in Joni Mitchell- or boy’s name - as in Johnny.  I liked it, I like Joni Mitchell, it’s standing 806 out of 5,666 in popularity in the U.K. not too common, not outrageously uncommon, it can be contracted to Jo, is a feminine form of John with the same origins in Hebrew as John and as a Scandinavian name gave a nod to a very, very, very distant part of my heritage on both sides of the family - it ticked all the boxes.

I wanted to acknowledge John, I owe a great debt to him, he struggled for 50 years, worked hard, saved, invested and put me in a position where I can live, transition and after some number crunching I can actually retire early as me. This sealed the deal. I started HRT 1st September and plan to retire next June. I’ve come out to some close friends and my neighbours
and had a fantastic response. My GP is brilliant and within weeks I was given a new NHS number as Ms Joni ....  :)

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
  • Friend
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2020, 08:17:11 am »
Okay, my screen name is Nadine Spirit, but not my real name.  I chose it as I wanted something that was not anything like the name my parents gave me at birth.  That was back in 2010 when I started my blog.  I was a part time, super occasional cross dresser, not out to anybody but my wife. 

As time went on, I slowly started coming out to more and more people.  I also began going out much more frequently as myself, though I had no intentions of ever transitioning at that point.  Anywho, when I began using the name Nadine in public, and with friends, it just never felt right.  Often when I would say it to people, they would misunderstand me, which began to get super annoying.  Sometimes I would have to repeat it to people three or four times and they would still get it wrong. 

This became an issue while shopping as my favorite stores like to take my clothes, ask my name, and then write it on a dressing room door for me.  It almost never was written correctly.  One day, prior to shopping I told my wife that I was just going to give them some super easy name, like Kelly, and see if they would understand that name.  The first time I used it, it flowed off my tongue easily and the sales lady accepted it readily.  Right then I realized I had actually just picked my true name. 

Thus IRL my first name is Kelly.  I legally changed it a few years ago.  My middle name was taken from my niece. My last name is my family's surname and it is quite unique.  To the point that anybody with my same last name is actually related to me in someway. 

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »
I’m not sure, thought about it a lot. Tried a few others in my head....

At the end Holly Lynn just felt right. Seemed like a happy name to me if that makes any sense. No initials, family, or friends connection.

Hugs,

Happy Holly

Offline Virelai

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2020, 05:49:06 pm »
My mom found a name she really liked around a year ago, and I thought on it and earlier this year, we decided it would be that.

It's kinda awkward because there was another name that she told me a very long time ago that I would have been named had I been AFAB. For the vast majority of the last 17 years or so, that was my name and I had really internalized it. However, even though I have to leave that name behind, I'm really happy that we found a name that my parents will call me. And it is 100% feminine. It's like they just didn't like the original name anymore.

Wayyyy back in early 2006 when I joined these forums, I actually went by a different name - Victoria. It's a long explanation as to how and why I was calling myself that at that point. However, I just thought it was really beautiful and I had known someone with that name who shortened it to "Tori" and I thought that was so cute and I loved it.

When I came out to my first friend IRL just a couple of years later, I told her the name I would have been given had I been AFAB, and I think that's where I officially dropped Victoria. I still am thinking of it potentially as a middle name, though.

Offline Ronny79

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2020, 05:32:36 am »
For me it was fairly ease, never really had a Problem with my Name as everybody called me Ronny or Ronnie anyway (Ronald by Birth).

So since i always liked the name i still think it works fine as "Ronny" as a female as well :-)

Not very creative i know, but i guess it´s what we are comfortable with!

Offline TooTallAlex

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2020, 11:58:36 am »
For me, I've always liked and wanted the name Alex but that was too neutral. So I chose Alexandria instead which I absolutely love and for my close friends and family they can use the shortened version of Alex.

Also, one of the things that always when through my brain during the name process was making sure the first name and middle name sounded good together. For instance, picture yourself in trouble and your mom chasing you as a child with a flip flop or wooden spoon yelling your first and middle name at you. LOL.

Another good thing to try is at Starbucks and other places they will put a name on the order. When ordering give the cashier a name you might like. When your order is ready and they announce your order by name find out if you like it or not. I've known several people who have done this to try out a name without having their friends and family go through the process of relearning your name multiple names.
HRT - July 2020

Offline Jane.Shannon

• Friend
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 02:27:12 pm »
I love my name, it has such deep meaning for me.  The name Jane Shannon is what she would have named me if I had been born female.  What is interesting is that my brothers never knew what their "girl names" would have been.  When I first started interacting online as a woman it seemed like the right name for me. 

My mom passed in 2012, after I had realized I was transgender but before I came out.  I have wondered how she would have reacted to having a daughter.  But I think back to the fact that she made sure I knew my name.  I learned later in life, that I was named in honor of her best friend.  My male name was as close as she could come.  Maybe she knew something I didn't. 

I do have a screen name I don't use here.  I use the name Rachel Garrett.  She is a fictional character from Star Trek.  She was the captain of the Enterprise C (NCC-1701 C).  She chooses to take her ship and crew into a hopeless battle, but this battle ends up establishing the lasting peace between the Federation and the Klingons.  When I chose a new screen name I wanted something feminine, based on a strong character who made a huge impact, and did so courageously.

July 2020: Full Time
Aug 2019: Started HRT
Dec 2019: Hair Feminization Surgery

Offline Froodah

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2020, 01:54:25 am »
I liked the name Frode, and since it was pronounced Froo-dah, they liked it! As Froodah.

It's unique, I've never heard the name before, and it's feminine.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2020, 06:05:42 am »
Welcome to Susan's Place Froodah.

I see that this is your first post here and we have a tradition of welcoming new members.

Susan's Place is a website for everyone with any type of gender related issue. Since, we have many under age members here, we are moderated to keep Susan's Place family friendly. We have a few rules to live by under the Terms of Service and I will post the links below. I will also post links to other important items as well.

Again welcome to Susan's Place and you have chosen a unique and lovely name.  :-*

Things that you should read

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Online ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2020, 06:18:47 am »
I liked the name Frode, and since it was pronounced Froo-dah, they liked it! As Froodah.

It's unique, I've never heard the name before, and it's feminine.

Welcome Froodah!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Tags: