Author Topic: Have you eaten something that sounded bad to eat at first but tasted good?  (Read 400 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
Have you eaten something that sounded bad to eat at first but ended up tasting rather good?

Such as perhaps cow tongue, roe, or smelly cheese?

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
Re: Have you eaten something that sounded bad to eat at first but tasted good?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 08:00:10 am »
The head of a sheep I'd just helped sacrifice. Cheeks, lips, eyeballs, ears, tongue, everything.

Never underestimate a Mediterranean grandmother cooking with love. They can make anything delicious.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Spironolactone January 10 2019
Divigel January 20 2019
Estradiol Valerate March 14 2019

Offline TheWomanWithinMe

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 01:45:54 pm »
I've been inside several hundred different restaurants doing food delivery over the years and have perused their menus killing time. The vast majority of these restaurants are run by non native English speaking folks. The way most dishes are described often paint an entirely different mental picture than the food actually served.  Its also hard to imagine certain ingredients and spices going well together.  Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I wished more of these restaurants would offer a day where you could sample their entire menu to learn which of their menu choices that don't sound appealing on paper actually are quite tasty after all.  I am not as adventurous as I like as I am not willing to spend 10 to 20 dollars for an menu item to find I don't like it.

Offline SarahEL

• Oh no, I have said too much, I haven't said enough...
  • Family
  • That's me in the corner.... That's me in the photo
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 02:25:21 pm »
My daughter bought a bag of buffalo worms and banded crickets.. both were surprisingly tasty actually..
The bag of grasshoppers she bought though tasted horrid!...
Oh, life is bigger,  It's bigger Than you and you are not me
The lengths that I will go to.  The distance in your eyes

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 02:28:57 pm »
Squid jerky is pretty great. It looks exactly like you imagine.

Canned whale meat in gravy looked too much like cat food for me to enjoy it. It didn't exactly taste awful, but I couldn't bring myself to like it.

A lot of people don't care for natto, which is a slimy, fermented soybean product that kind of resembles a sinus infection. I find it delicious.
"It's not really a choice. Because we're not choosing to transition...we're choosing to be happy." -- SarahC

Introductory Post: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,242617.msg2196235.html

Whiny HRT and Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244163.msg2217618.html

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 02:40:21 pm »
Black pudding (blood sausage) always sounded repulsive to me. It's delicious.  :)

Haggis always sounded repulsive to me. It's delicious.  :)

Hákarl always sounded repulsive to me. I'm not going to say it was delicious, but we toughed it out.  :laugh:

Veteran, US Army

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 02:50:25 pm »
Black pudding (blood sausage) always sounded repulsive to me. It's delicious.  :)

Yes! Similarly, blutwurst. Also blood soup.

Out of pity for the cute little things, most of my family wouldn't touch rabbit when my great-grandmother cooked it. I knew it was dumb to refuse anything she cooked, so she and I always chowed down.

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline big kim

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 03:09:30 pm »
Toad in the hole
Spotted dick ooer matron!

Offline TheWomanWithinMe

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 11:42:42 pm »
We always had a big vegetable garden in our back yard that included a variety of different squashes, potatoes and pumpkins. My mom served up mashed potatoes and squashes without butter or seasonings which made them exceedingly bland tasting. My dad had funny nicknames for food, for example he called whipped cream: mashed potatoes. Being young I took him at his word. The first time I was served pumpkin pie with whipped cream I turned my nose at it as I was wary about eating another bland tasting vegetable with mashed potatoes on top. 

It wasn't until my mid twenties that I had my first taste. My girlfriend and I ordered separate deserts one day and she insisted on trying a taste of my pie and insisted I try a bite out of hers. Oh well, I thought...Its just one bite. I popped a bite full into my mouth and was overwhelmed by how wonderful it tasted and came to the immediate conclusion that my I had been fooled by the mash potatoes nick name all those years. Pumpkin spice includes flavors that on paper shouldn't work together, but surprisingly they do. 

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 12:52:50 am »
One of my favorite selections at a sushi restaurant is Uni (Sea urchin). A lot of folks don't like it, but I love it!  Although I have to admit the first time I got really fresh Uni served in the shell it was very trippy!

Also most sushi places serve Amaebi (sweet shrimp) with the head deep fried.  I couldn't bring myself to eat that for the longest time, but when I did it was yummy!

Hugs!

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Offline LaRae

• "No one ever wetted clay and then left it, as if there would be bricks by chance and fortune."
  • Friend
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 01:51:21 am »
I'm a major foodie, so usually the weirder it sounds the more I want to try it.

One of the only things I can think of is Menudo, which has tripe as it's main ingredient. I saw a can of the soup in the store, & was a little leery, but I got it anyway. Cooked it, & it smelled a little weird, but once I tried it, I was in love. Now it's my favorite Mexican food.
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 12:59:07 am »
The head of a sheep I'd just helped sacrifice. Cheeks, lips, eyeballs, ears, tongue, everything.

Never underestimate a Mediterranean grandmother cooking with love. They can make anything delicious.

My mom was making soup broth from a lambs head one day when my dads stepson was visiting us. It was merrily bubbling on the stove, its modesty protected by a stainless steel lid. Along comes the stepson, asks what's for dinner,  and lifts the lid. The lamb, shocked that its attempt at modesty has been thwarted,  is looking straight at him, tongue hanging out in embarrassment. He screamed and slammed the lid down. My mom found out from his mom, years later, that he went from being the worst pot checker to never checking to see what was in the pot. I wonder what changed him?  ::)

Offline Battle Goddess

• Family
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 01:21:27 am »
The lamb, shocked that its attempt at modesty has been thwarted,  is looking straight at him, tongue hanging out in embarrassment.

Hahaha! Word. I was ushered into the kitchen and there the sheep's head was, all grisly with its tongue hanging out, staring blindly from the center of a giant pile of couscous ringed with stewed vegetables.

That's when you have one of those rare growth opportunities in your life. Do you follow your instincts, refuse to eat this hideous thing, wound Grandma's feelings, and insult your host's house? Or do you kiss Grandma's cheeks and hands, sit down, eat, and maybe discover it tastes glorious?

I fortunately chose the latter, it tasted glorious, and I was cured of pretty much all food taboos ever since.

Humans can eat most anything. My buddy Floriano had this perspective on having been tricked into eating cat cacciatore: "You know, it wasn't half bad!"

Divigel January 20 2019

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 04:11:12 am »
I will try anything once, not put off as my mum made brawn from a pigs head when I was young . She did get the butcher to remove the eyes. Stuffed heart was another favourite , my ex would not touch offal and when she was anaemic she had to force herself to eat some liver. Tried pigs trotters (mums old next door neighbour worked as a slaughter man) but nothing special just fatty .   
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Tags: