Author Topic: Which stores do you like to purchase your clothing?  (Read 932 times)

Online Maid Marion

Re: Which stores do you like to purchase your clothing?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 06:07:39 pm »
Yes, the sales are great!  I just bought a small crossbody bag and a pair of 3" mauve suede stilettos that were deeply discounted on Cole Haan's website.  As I'm really short 3 inches or so is about my limit.

Marion

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 06:59:37 pm »
Can't resist those sales!  Getting the odd notification about exclusive 1 day specials for this time of year :)

- Jenny

Offline putaringonit

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 07:10:49 pm »
Right?! Retail therapy does work! haha
I keep it, as you said, "Cheap and Cheerful". I really see no point into investing a large sum of money for just a couple of items, when I could take that same amount and invest it in a much wider number of items that suits my needs/likes.
Walmart and Target a top faves. I do love my boot cut jeans (as, in my mind, they help me feet look less big lol), so those are the only items in which I indulge a  bit more of money, since I can only seem to find the boot cut jeans I like at JCPenny (PNW area I guess?). But other than that, I keep it cheap and cheerful. There are a plethora of good and really pretty clothes for good prices, and since I've always been careful with my clothes, they do last long, so I help the enviroment by not buying and throwing out items after the season is over.

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 05:11:25 pm »
I find that with a 30% Kohl's discount coupon, the new prices on the discount racks are quite competitive with the 2nd hand stores where I live.  I've also found that by logging in as a member, Cole Haan occasionally gives me much better prices than the general public.  The list price of the crossbody bag I bought was $229.  I bought it for $59.  It is now offered to the general public for $95.  I get even better deals as a repeat customer for Victoria's Secret.  ;D

Repeat customers are tremendously important to modern American businesses because they provide cash flow.

I got the bag today.  It is a really nice leather bag. Too small if I were a GG with the usual assortment of stuff but just right for my needs. 

Marion

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 06:58:16 pm »
Right?! Retail therapy does work! haha
I keep it, as you said, "Cheap and Cheerful". I really see no point into investing a large sum of money for just a couple of items, when I could take that same amount and invest it in a much wider number of items that suits my needs/likes.
Walmart and Target a top faves. I do love my boot cut jeans (as, in my mind, they help me feet look less big lol), so those are the only items in which I indulge a  bit more of money, since I can only seem to find the boot cut jeans I like at JCPenny (PNW area I guess?). But other than that, I keep it cheap and cheerful. There are a plethora of good and really pretty clothes for good prices, and since I've always been careful with my clothes, they do last long, so I help the enviroment by not buying and throwing out items after the season is over.

Sounds a lot like me :)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 07:00:47 pm »
I think I need to take a break from clothes shopping.

But it can be fun!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 07:10:48 pm »
I find that with a 30% Kohl's discount coupon, the new prices on the discount racks are quite competitive with the 2nd hand stores where I live.  I've also found that by logging in as a member, Cole Haan occasionally gives me much better prices than the general public.  The list price of the crossbody bag I bought was $229.  I bought it for $59.  It is now offered to the general public for $95.  I get even better deals as a repeat customer for Victoria's Secret.  ;D

Repeat customers are tremendously important to modern American businesses because they provide cash flow.

I got the bag today.  It is a really nice leather bag. Too small if I were a GG with the usual assortment of stuff but just right for my needs. 

Marion

Hey Marion, I'm gonna put up a pic on all my handbags soon, I have only three and they are all different sizes and styles.  As I've mentioned before (I think) I'm bummed out to lose my fave though, it was a pink tote with a giant bow! (think Legally Blonde style) but unfortunately I was a mixed up TG back then and off it went with a large bag of goodies into the charity bin never to be seen again :(  I desperately tried to find it after many years but unfortunately the label ceased to exist and the dept store now only deals in expensive brands, too much for this girl to afford.  I couldn't dream of purging again, it's just too heartbreaking.  Live and learn.

- Jenny   

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2020, 07:12:23 pm »
I think I need to take a break from clothes shopping.

But it can be fun!

Chrissy

It's immense fun, especially when you get on well with the salesgirls.  Unfortunately I live too far away to be a regular but I try and include a quick shop when passing.

- Jenny

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2020, 12:03:29 am »
Hi Jenny,

That is too bad about the purge, but the world was a much different place back then.  Much less accepting of those of us who were different.

Marion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2020, 07:44:37 am »

Marion

Regardless where you buy, if you desire to have the purchase shipped, you may have a purchase minimum to reach to avoid a shipping charge.  I have bought something that I really did not want to buy at that specific time to avoid the shipping charge. 

To avoid an $8.00 shipping charge I have bought something I could use for about $10 - $12.  So that something ended up costing me about $2-$4 to apply that first $8 to merchandise rather than to shipping.  At other times, I bought only the desired items elsewhere for a lower total cost including shipping.

At this time, some merchants have eliminated shipping charge thresholds or fees.  Amazon Prime members effectively pay shipping fees in advance but that membership can be a good deal, considering all you get with that membership.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline JennyTG

• Family
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2020, 11:20:40 pm »
Hi Jenny,

That is too bad about the purge, but the world was a much different place back then.  Much less accepting of those of us who were different.

Marion

Oh it sucks, so depressing.  Talking a while back so yes I would like to think things have changed quite a bit.  Not sure about other people but I know have :)

- Jenny

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2020, 06:39:13 am »
More and more stores have closed their dressing rooms.

All well.  I guess I really do not need much now, but it would be nice to try things on before buying.

Chrissy

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2020, 08:26:03 am »
Normally I avoid paying shipping feeds but I had enough VS awards cash that let me by three bras on sale for just $10.  It made more sense to just pay the $8 than find another 40 worth of stuff and complete the purchase. ;)

VS has changed their  online discount policy to only allow stacking two coupon codes versus three.

Marion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:22 am »
Normally I avoid paying shipping feeds but I had enough VS awards cash that let me by three bras on sale for just $10.  It made more sense to just pay the $8 than find another 40 worth of stuff and complete the purchase. ;)

VS has changed their  online discount policy to only allow stacking two coupon codes versus three.

Marion

I would not spend a lot of extra money either to avoid shipping charges.  Only when the additional spending for merchandise I can use is covered by the amount I would have otherwise had to spend for shipping would I go ahead and buy the additional merchandise.

By the way, three bras for $10 plus $8 seems like a great deal.

Chrissy

Offline Laura1951

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2020, 09:27:19 am »
<deadname> hated shopping, but Laura revels in it. You can't have enough clothes or shoes (or purses).

I get most of my casual clothes from Kohl's (on sale) and Costco. More dressy clothes I get from Macys and Nordstrom Rack.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline barbie

• I change my avatar every week
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2020, 10:20:05 am »
Regardless where you buy, if you desire to have the purchase shipped, you may have a purchase minimum to reach to avoid a shipping charge.  I have bought something that I really did not want to buy at that specific time to avoid the shipping charge. 

I am not quite sure in the case of the US, but as I posted, shipping is mostly free or very cheap from AliExpress.com to here South Korea. A drawback is shipping time, which can take more than a month from AliExpress.com. But I do not need to hurry, and luckily nowadays the delivery became faster from China, probably because of the COVID-19.

The overall quality of Chinese products has been greatly enhanced, and nowadays I do not notice any difference in quality between the expensive top brands and the cheap Chinese products.

For example, recently I purchased a pair of athletic shoes from AliExpress.com at US$15 with free shipping: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000762523175.html

And at the same time, I ordered the following Nike shoes at ca. US$90: https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Classic-Cortez-Leather-Casual/dp/B01MZ44LC0/ref=sr_1_24

The quality was nearly the same, but I got a blister on the Achilles tendon while wearing the Nike shoes.

I guess the shipping charge from AliExpress.com is nearly the same between the US and S. Korea.

barbie~~
Just do it.

Offline Laura1951

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2020, 10:53:31 am »
I went to Kohl's Black Friday sale this morning and bought four long-sleeve tops, three of them holiday themed, and a pair of holiday earrings for $27.

What a country!

A girl loves her sales.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2020, 11:01:20 am »
I am not quite sure in the case of the US, but as I posted, shipping is mostly free or very cheap from AliExpress.com to here South Korea. A drawback is shipping time, which can take more than a month from AliExpress.com. But I do not need to hurry, and luckily nowadays the delivery became faster from China, probably because of the COVID-19.

The overall quality of Chinese products has been greatly enhanced, and nowadays I do not notice any difference in quality between the expensive top brands and the cheap Chinese products.

For example, recently I purchased a pair of athletic shoes from AliExpress.com at US$15 with free shipping: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000762523175.html

And at the same time, I ordered the following Nike shoes at ca. US$90: https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Classic-Cortez-Leather-Casual/dp/B01MZ44LC0/ref=sr_1_24

The quality was nearly the same, but I got a blister on the Achilles tendon while wearing the Nike shoes.

I guess the shipping charge from AliExpress.com is nearly the same between the US and S. Korea.

barbie~~

Shoes are a very...Individual thing. I don't like Nike, but New Balance works a lot better. They still have models that are made in the US and they are better. Like life, it's like finding out what works for you. With clothes, I find it's kind of like half a bell curve. As price goes up, quality will as a general statement, but there's a limit to it. At some point any increase in quality is disproportional to price if there is any increase in quality at all. The biggest problem with Chinese produced goods is quality fade. Whoever has stuff made there has to keep on top of the manufacturer to maintain a level of acceptable quality otherwise manufacturers will make cuts to increase profits.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2020, 11:30:46 am »
I went to Kohl's Black Friday sale this morning and bought four long-sleeve tops, three of them holiday themed, and a pair of holiday earrings for $27.

What a country!

A girl loves her sales.

Laura

Sounds like you came out well from your shopping trip.

Chrissy

Online Maid Marion

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 11:43:58 am »
Hi Laura,

Glad you found some great deals!

The strap for the cross body bag is a little long for those of us that are short but I discovered I could loop the end of it to adjust it to the right length.  And the mauve stilettos have a comfortable fit if I want a pair I can wear all day.

Marion

Tags: