Author Topic: Transgender Day of Remembrance  (Read 298 times)

Offline Jessica_Rose

Transgender Day of Remembrance
« on: November 20, 2020, 06:00:07 am »
A few months ago, the LGBT+ Employee Resource Group where I work (Progressive Insurance) asked me to write an article which would be emailed to our members today. Please feel free to share it...

Today, November 20th, is the Transgender Day of Remembrance. It wasn't that long ago when this day meant nothing to me. It was for a group of people I labeled 'them', why should I care? I was wrong. Now I am one of 'them', and it opened my eyes to the importance of accepting people for who they are. When someone is at risk of being attacked or killed solely because they decide to live their truth, we should all be concerned. Why? Because one day the eyes of persecution may fall upon you, or someone you love.

Being transgender isn’t a choice, as in the quote ‘The only choice I ever made was to be myself’. With one exception, we are the same as everyone else. We have the same hopes, the same fears, the same dreams. The exception? We weren’t born into bodies which match our minds. We struggle for years, sometimes decades, to discover why we aren’t comfortable in the bodies we were born into. We know what it’s like to be a man, a woman, and the places in between. Socially transitioning makes us unique because we will 'walk a mile' in the shoes of more than one gender. I say we are unicorns -- rare and beautiful people.

We each have unique stories, and we understand the essence of the struggle others endure to find themselves, and ultimately their fight to live an authentic life. Imagine your life if you had to deal with persecution, hatred, discrimination, and the daily threat of violence just to be yourself, just to live an authentic life that most people take for granted. Every time I see a story about the senseless murder of someone who is transgender, part of my soul withers. It's like losing a brother, or a sister. Magnifying the pain is that 39 states allow an ‘LGBTQ panic’ defense, which asks a jury to find that a victim’s sexual orientation or gender identity is to blame for the defendant’s violent reaction, including murder – insinuating that being attacked or murdered is somehow the victim’s fault.

This year has been one of the worst on record for the transgender community. Not only are some local, state, and federal government agencies eroding our rights as human beings, but we also are being attacked and killed in record numbers. Please take some time to reflect on the senseless violence committed against this unique, priceless segment of society. We all must learn to accept and cherish diversity. No one should be frightened to live their truth.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA with Dr. Ley on 21 Feb 2019
GCS II and FFS - GCS II and FFS with Dr. Ley on 26 July 2019
FFS II - FFS II with Dr. Ley on 13 Oct 2020
23Mar2017 Started Estradiol / 16Feb2018 Full Time! / 21Feb2019 GCS / 26July2019 GCS II & FFS

Don't let others tell you who you are. Be yourself, the world will adjust.

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
Re: Transgender Day of Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 08:33:51 am »
Let us thank them for all they did for our community.

Let us remember them.

Pamela xx

Offline Katie76

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:40:56 pm »
Very moving Jessica_Rose, Thank you :)

Offline Pammie

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:59:21 pm »
A few months ago, the LGBT+ Employee Resource Group where I work (Progressive Insurance) asked me to write an article which would be emailed to our members today. Please feel free to share it...

Today, November 20th, is the Transgender Day of Remembrance. It wasn't that long ago when this day meant nothing to me. It was for a group of people I labeled 'them', why should I care? I was wrong. Now I am one of 'them', and it opened my eyes to the importance of accepting people for who they are. When someone is at risk of being attacked or killed solely because they decide to live their truth, we should all be concerned. Why? Because one day the eyes of persecution may fall upon you, or someone you love.

Being transgender isn’t a choice, as in the quote ‘The only choice I ever made was to be myself’. With one exception, we are the same as everyone else. We have the same hopes, the same fears, the same dreams. The exception? We weren’t born into bodies which match our minds. We struggle for years, sometimes decades, to discover why we aren’t comfortable in the bodies we were born into. We know what it’s like to be a man, a woman, and the places in between. Socially transitioning makes us unique because we will 'walk a mile' in the shoes of more than one gender. I say we are unicorns -- rare and beautiful people.

We each have unique stories, and we understand the essence of the struggle others endure to find themselves, and ultimately their fight to live an authentic life. Imagine your life if you had to deal with persecution, hatred, discrimination, and the daily threat of violence just to be yourself, just to live an authentic life that most people take for granted. Every time I see a story about the senseless murder of someone who is transgender, part of my soul withers. It's like losing a brother, or a sister. Magnifying the pain is that 39 states allow an ‘LGBTQ panic’ defense, which asks a jury to find that a victim’s sexual orientation or gender identity is to blame for the defendant’s violent reaction, including murder – insinuating that being attacked or murdered is somehow the victim’s fault.

This year has been one of the worst on record for the transgender community. Not only are some local, state, and federal government agencies eroding our rights as human beings, but we also are being attacked and killed in record numbers. Please take some time to reflect on the senseless violence committed against this unique, priceless segment of society. We all must learn to accept and cherish diversity. No one should be frightened to live their truth.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
So eloquently put, so true and so utterly sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Margrit

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 02:40:26 am »
How very true, let us remember them.
If a man can make you smile,
even if you don't want to,
then you love him.

Offline kaygee

• Mademoiselle💃
  • A very stable genius.🤪
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 08:18:29 am »
Take a moment to remember Jan Morris, 1926.10.02 - 2020.11.20, a pioneer in our movement.

James Humphry Morris, b 1926, was a member of the 1953 British Mount Everest expedition.

Morris began transitioning to female in 1962, and had SRS in 1972.

She passed yesterday. :'(
Give me ambiguity... or give me something else.

-Patrick… somebody

Offline Pammie

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 08:20:29 am »
Take a moment to remember Jan Morris, 1926.10.02 - 2020.11.20, a pioneer in our movement.

James Humphry Morris, b 1926, was a member of the 1953 British Mount Everest expedition.

Well said. Impossible to imagine the barriers they faced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 08:40:30 am »
Let us never forget them.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 10:24:02 am »

I am truly saddened to discover Jan Morris died yesterday aged 94.

She is a great inspiration to many Transgender people of my generation (I am 65) and I can recall her being interviewed on BBC TV after her op in 1972.

She was a wonderful pioneer for all of  us (especially in UK) and a very knowledgeable historian.

God called you on Transgender Day of Rememberance. 

R. I. P. Jan.

Pamela  xx

Tags: Remembrance TDoR