Author Topic: What are your favorite breads?  (Read 564 times)

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
What are your favorite breads?
« on: December 13, 2020, 03:36:08 pm »

White?  Wheat?  Pumpernickel?  Seeded?  Sourdough?  Butterfly dinner rolls?  Hawaiian rolls?  Raisin?
French?  Baguettes?  Pretzel rolls?  Egg buns?  Garlic bread?  Any kind of toast?  Dutch bread?  Bagels?

The list can go on and on it seems!  And yes, there are many types of breads from around the world that many of us may be unaware of, while others eat them all the time.  Please share your bread likes and even dislikes with us.

I like so many breads. 

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: What are your favorite breads?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 03:41:02 pm »
Dark Rye    ... makes for great Ruben Sandwiches ..
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 04:34:28 pm »
Portuguese fried bread dough or Malasadas are good.
Sourdough bread as grilled cheese sandwiches and English muffins.

Marion

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 04:41:10 pm »
A good semolina Italian bread, a proper bagel or just a nice hearty thick crusted open cell loaf of bread. I don't know what one would call the last. Artisan? But there's so much garbage out there. I like a good poppy seed kaiser with BECSPK. Once in a while I get the hankering for a cinnamon raisin bread.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 04:58:52 pm »
I like the traditional baguette.  Like to eat it with butter, slicing off a piece as I go.  Cheese on the side.
It is best fresh out of the oven or within the same day.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:43:52 pm »
For day-to-day bread, I rotate between an artisan multigrain loaf and seeded rye loaf at the grocery store. Occasionally I’ll go to the fancy bakery and buy what I think is the best artisan French loaf in the city. It’s worth spending the extra $1.50 per week for good bread.

Also, I’ll occasionally buy English muffins. Thomas’ are ok, but I especially like buying the super-tall crumpets at the nearby fancy British bakery (which are really more like English muffins than traditional crumpets). But those cost $3 apiece  :o so that is a rare treat, and I actually use those as a delectable base for a gooey poached egg. Mmm, yum.

I’ll get bagels occasionally but only from the good bagel shop. Grocery store bagels are  :(

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 08:48:58 pm »
Whenever I buy a baguette, I freeze most of it immediately. As long as you wrap them tightly, they stay good in there. To refresh, throw into an oven and maybe spray some water on the top. Not quite as good as fresh but still really good. There are lots of articles on the Internet about using frozen baguettes. Freezing is infinitely better than letting them go stale even a day.

Sarah

I like the traditional baguette.  Like to eat it with butter, slicing off a piece as I go.  Cheese on the side.
It is best fresh out of the oven or within the same day.

Chrissy
----
48 years young.
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 08:51:34 pm »
Yes, I'll buy fresh bread and freeze whatever I can't use immediately.  Slices will stick together only put single servings in plastic bags.

I'll also bake or fry small servings of bread.  Frying has its advantages when cooking a small amount of  bread.

Marion

Online Kalandrina

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 03:43:31 am »
I found a lovely cheesey bread in my local store.
This ain't a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud
It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive
(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
I just want to live while I'm alive
It's my life

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 06:19:07 am »
Bread plus cheese can be a winning combination!

Chrissy

Offline Lyric

• Family
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 08:27:50 am »
About 15 years ago I bought a Panasonic bread making machine and instantly loved it. I've made a loaf about every week or so ever since and it still works perfectly. I usually make a recipe that uses whole wheat flour with molasses rather than sugar, but I made many variations. Bread machine bread comes out a bit firm of crust, but I've found the trick is to seal it in a plastic zip back while it's still warm. That lets the moisture inside radiate out to the crust and moistens it nicely.
"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." - Steve Jobs

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 08:54:47 am »
I like all breads, but a warm fresh baguette with salty butter and oodles of soft cheese is hard to beat.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 09:42:04 am »
The French figured that out a long time ago. That’s why they have a cheese course for their meals. :)

I spent a year in France in an exchange program, and the cheese course was one my favorite parts of French culture. It slows down the meal a lot and provides more time for the family to be together and talk. Plus, as you state, bread and cheese tastes good!

Sarah

Bread plus cheese can be a winning combination!

Chrissy
----
48 years young.

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 11:43:53 am »
Navajo Fry Bread!  We made a point to stop and get Fry Bread Tacos every trip we made to the Grand Canyon!

Hugs!!

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Offline Leesh

• Laura
  • Friend
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 11:54:16 am »
Garlic bread. French bread is a bit too special for me, although I don't mind a good baguette :P

I also like that small rolls we call "pistolet".

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 03:17:42 pm »
I also like that small rolls we call "pistolet".

I have actually wanted to try to bake pistolets for a long time...that might be a nice baking exercise this weekend. We don't have those crusty and fluffy European rolls over here in the United States.

Sarah
----
48 years young.

Offline Leesh

• Laura
  • Friend
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 12:20:54 pm »
I have actually wanted to try to bake pistolets for a long time...that might be a nice baking exercise this weekend. We don't have those crusty and fluffy European rolls over here in the United States.

Sarah
I believe practice makes perfect, so if you try, it should be going well. :3 I'm pretty curious about American bread, too :D

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 12:41:26 pm »
A good croissant can be quite tasty.

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 12:42:36 pm »
I believe practice makes perfect, so if you try, it should be going well. :3 I'm pretty curious about American bread, too :D

The only aspect about American bread that I prefer is that we use a greater range of grains for our breads...we don't restrict ourselves to just wheat or rye. Having that variety is very nice - I missed that variety during the year I lived in France.

In every other respect, European breads tend to be better in terms of freshness, quality of ingredients and baking technique. And all of the great American bread bakers rely on European techniques.

Sarah
----
48 years young.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 06:09:39 am »
Warm dinner rolls right out of the oven!

Tags: