Author Topic: Randi's HRT Journal  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: Randy's HRT Journal
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 07:33:22 pm »
I definitely have breast buds under my nipples. The male cavity under there is completely gone and I can feel a firm mass about 1.5" diameter under both sides.

Congratulations  :eusa_dance:

We knew you could do it.  :eusa_clap:

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 11:47:51 pm »
Eight weeks in. Not much to report. Things have been steady, not really any ups or downs. I think I can spy a tiny bit of breast growth, but I know sometimes we see what we want to see. Patience! I'm actually Ok if it takes a while. I don't want to rush through this. Not that I have any choice.

My doctor's office will draw blood to check my levels next Monday when I come in for my next injection. The nurse will also do some training on the injection process so I can eventually do my own.
Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline SheShe

• Neighbor
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 05:23:29 pm »
The injections are a piece of cake dont  sweat it,,,  after you do the first poke it is all down hill.

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 11:03:18 pm »
The injections are a piece of cake dont  sweat it,,,  after you do the first poke it is all down hill.
Thanks, I'll remain encouraged! Today I had a two-hour electrolysis session after my injection, and my sore butt was really ready to move after that. It helps to work off the injection pain, which feels like a bruise.

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 02:40:17 pm »
Blood test results and consultation with my doctor today. My Total Testosterone is way down, to 14 ng/dL (1.1 pg/mL Free). By comparison before I started HRT it was 898 Total and 94 Free (both solidly in the Male range). My Estradiol is still too low, at 31 pg/mL. So the doctor will increase my dosage modestly, and we decided that I'd inject weekly instead of bi-weekly. She wants another test after 4 weeks.

I'm surprised that my T could be driven down that much without a blocker, although the doctor wasn't. I'm also happy to avoid having to use a blocker. I am on Finasteride which was previously prescribed to shrink my prostate, and the doctor thinks that helps.

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 02:54:12 pm »
@RandyL
Dear Randy:
Thank you for sharing the good report regarding your HRT results.

What are the major things that you see and feel with your body as HRT does it's magic?
Has your breast growth started to go beyond the breast buds that you could feel back in 2 of your December update posts?

I am rooting for your success and happiness as you continue in your journey.... and as I have mentioned in my comments around the various threads in the Forums.... PATIENCE IS NEEDED.   Usually nothing happens very quickly with HRT, but over time, the magic will happen.... to what degree is up to your genes.... "YMMV" ... as we say here on the Susan's Place Forums.

HUGS and best wishes... stay safe, stay healthy.
Danielle

Blood test results and consultation with my doctor today. My Total Testosterone is way down, to 14 ng/dL (1.1 pg/mL Free). By comparison before I started HRT it was 898 Total and 94 Free (both solidly in the Male range). My Estradiol is still too low, at 31 pg/mL. So the doctor will increase my dosage modestly, and we decided that I'd inject weekly instead of bi-weekly. She wants another test after 4 weeks.

I'm surprised that my T could be driven down that much without a blocker, although the doctor wasn't. I'm also happy to avoid having to use a blocker. I am on Finasteride which was previously prescribed to shrink my prostate, and the doctor thinks that helps.
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 03:02:06 pm »
Hi Danielle, thanks for your reply and your thoughts. My breast sensitivity continues and nipples are usually erect, but that's it for effects that I've noticed. Right now I'm 2.5 weeks past my latest injection due to my travels, and my breast sensitivity is definitely declining. I'm hoping that with weekly self injection and a dosage increase I can better stay on track.

My patience has been helped a little by watching a transition progress video on Youtube by the Chloe Connection. She's 5.5 years into it and described lengthy and slow progress in her early years. It makes me feel a little more mainstream.

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2021, 10:24:38 am »
I picked up my estradiol valerate prescription and some syringes yesterday. There was a problem with my insurance, and the pharmacy said that it was only secondary. Since there is no other, primary, insurance, this is an error in somebody's system and I'll try to get it fixed.

Meantime, since I need it by Monday, I went ahead and paid for it myself. A vial cost me $91 after a $60 discount from GoodRx. So that must mean this stuff costs $151 per vial. I hope insurance will pay!

Is this price similar to what others see? I hope insurance will take a big chunk of the cost.

I'll note that my injections in the doctor's office are 100% covered by insurance. I hope I'm not making an expensive mistake doing self-injection.

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 12:26:22 pm »
Ok, so in a second call to the prescription insurance, the representative saw the problem right away. I don't know why the first person never did despite 30 minutes or so of fumbling his way through their system. So on subsequent refills this should be covered, and I can go back to the pharmacy and ask them to rerun the claim and issue me a refund for the difference. Hopefully that will work!

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2021, 02:23:46 pm »
@RandyL
Dear Randy:
I am happy to read that you were able to get your insurance for your prescriptions straightened out.  For the pharmacy and for everyone it is a complex system of codes and procedures in order to get the coverage you paid for.

In this regard.... we have to be our own advocates and diligently follow up with our doctor appointments and our prescription medicine matters to get what we desire and what we need. 

Thanks for posting your good news regarding your HRT progress....
...HRT will do it's magic but it can be slow but sure !!!!

HUGS and best wishes to you.
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2021, 05:44:06 pm »

@RandyL
Dear Randy:
...HRT will do it's magic but it can be slow but sure !!!!

HUGS and best wishes to you.
Danielle

Thank you Danielle. Slow, yes absolutely Sure, well I hope so!!! Randy

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Offline ChrissyRyan

• Have a gentle manner ❤️
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 06:32:46 am »
Ok, so in a second call to the prescription insurance, the representative saw the problem right away. I don't know why the first person never did despite 30 minutes or so of fumbling his way through their system. So on subsequent refills this should be covered, and I can go back to the pharmacy and ask them to rerun the claim and issue me a refund for the difference. Hopefully that will work!

That sounds good Randy!

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that you speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
Re: Randi's HRT Journal
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 10:46:44 am »
...this stuff costs $151 per vial. I hope insurance will pay!

Is this price similar to what others see? I hope insurance will take a big chunk of the cost.

I'll note that my injections in the doctor's office are 100% covered by insurance. I hope I'm not making an expensive mistake doing self-injection.
To answer my own question now that everything is sorted out, it appears that this will cost me $45 every 10 weeks at my current level. That is worth it to not have to visit the doctor's office weekly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:55:29 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline SoCal_Holly

• Multi-Pass
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 12:51:23 am »
Great news sorting everything out for a nominal cost!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:55:09 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 12:12:50 pm »
I did my first injection today. I brought in my estradiol and syringe to the doctors office, and the nurse coached me through it. Quite easy and not painful as I had feared.

One glitch was that the pharmacy did not issue larger drawing needles for filling the syringe. The estradiol is quite viscous and difficult to get through the tiny 22 gauge needle they gave me. The nurse gave me a larger needle that she uses for drawing and that made a huge difference. They will add that to the next prescription order. I think most injection supplies are used for insulin which is quite different.

Also after I pulled the skin for the Z track method and inserted the needle into my thigh, my angle of sight prevented me from seeing when I had finished pushing the plunger. I couldn't feel when I reached the end because it was so stiff. I will practice a bit with the used syringe, not injecting but just going through the steps to get the view and the feel.

All in all a good experience and I don't doubt that it will get easier.

I must say though that my thigh hurts more from the bolus of medicine than my buttock ever did. I am walking several miles this morning since my car is in the shop, so I hope that will help it work in.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:54:48 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2021, 08:44:49 pm »
Not much news of consequence as the HRT journey settles in for the long run. I did my own self injection at home this morning and it went fine. The poke is really no problem, but if you've been in the habit of averting your eyes for that, it won't work!

I experimented with drawing the estradiol through the 22 gauge needle that comes on the syringe, just to see if I could do it. I could, but it definitely took a long time, several minutes, just waiting for the medication to seep in through the needle. Also got a lot of bubbles, so I drew twice my dosage, then pushed the bubbles out along with the excess back into the vial.

Anyone else with suggestions or techniques for this?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:54:32 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline JanePlain

• This road has a few bumps I wasn't expecting.
  • Janes not here!
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2021, 12:05:09 am »
Not much news of consequence as the HRT journey settles in for the long run. I did my own self injection at home this morning and it went fine. The poke is really no problem, but if you've been in the habit of averting your eyes for that, it won't work!

I experimented with drawing the estradiol through the 22 gauge needle that comes on the syringe, just to see if I could do it. I could, but it definitely took a long time, several minutes, just waiting for the medication to seep in through the needle. Also got a lot of bubbles, so I drew twice my dosage, then pushed the bubbles out along with the excess back into the vial.

Anyone else with suggestions or techniques for this?

When I was going HRT with injectables the nurse told me she would demonstrate then the next time I would show her I could do it. So... (Get ready to laugh) she showed me drawing with a 16 gauge. This is quite large and drew perfrectly then she swapped with a much smaller needle and injected me.  So when it was my turn I drew in the correct amount flicked it to get the bubbled out and hovered over the spot on my leg I was to inject with. Nothing... I just froze. The nurse said "You have to inject it you know?" And I slammed the 16 gauge monster huge needle in and pressed in the plunger wondering why it was so better when she did it? Ouch Ouch Ouch  Ouch. My leg felt crippled then I went on an adventure to find the smallest possible needle to do the injections and ended up with ones used for diabetics. When I was doing this it was obviously better then using a 16 gauge but once in pressing the plunger took some time so there is a bit of weird feeling having it in so long but still if I was still doing HRT that would be my suggestion. Good luck I hope the suggestion helps!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:54:15 pm by Northern Star Girl »

"This world is but canvas to our imaginations.
Henry David Thoreau - (1817-1862)

Offline Faith

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2021, 07:31:08 am »
Randy

I draw with an 18g; inject with a 25g

Starting with the 18g; draw in air to the level or slightly more than your dose.
poke it into the vial; push the air in
draw slightly more than your dose .. tap like crazy
Do until no bubbles - for me sometimes once, sometimes 2 or 3, bubbles can be stubborn
once no more bubbles, push all back in and draw your dose.
Remove from vial
draw air until you can see it
swap for the injection needle
push until drop shows
stab yourself - do this quickly. If you hesitate or try to do it slowly it will definitely hurt.

one of a few things then
- wow, I didn't even feel it
- oww, that stung a bit
- <poo> that hurt .. where is all that blood coming from. it's really not much, can seem like it won't stop :P
- oo, oww, nerve! muscle is jumping. Can't stop until I'm done, hold still

as my does is very low I use a 1mil syringe. I used to use 3mil and it was much harder to use, not sure why. So if your does allows it .. get 1mil syringes.

Something I do that may get me frowned at. I hate waste. Once done I draw a bit of air in (harder with 25g); hold the syringe and needle pointing down and push out more which I apply on certain skin areas for absorbing. does it help? No idea. Is it bad to do? no idea. I just know that my dose is so low that I can get almost half again out of the needle left-over. I also do this with what remains in the vial when I cannot draw any more.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:53:49 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2021, 12:33:14 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions Jay @JanePlain and @Faith. Faith, you can get low-dead space syringes that are supposed to reduce the amount lost. I think that's how they're getting extra doses out of the Covid vaccination vials.

I bought a box of 18G needles for drawing and that certainly made it easier today.

A friend suggested straightening my leg so that the quad muscle can be slack when injecting. I sat on a low bench and it definitely made it easier.

Interestingly two weeks ago it felt like the effects of the estradiol had worn off by day 5. So I injected a day early, last Sunday. But this week that didn't happen and I could wait until today. I don't think there was any difference in my procedure, I guess just natural variability in my body? Or phase of the moon lol.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:53:28 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2021, 10:53:50 pm »
Wow, 20 weeks in, over 4.5 months. Breast growth has definitely started. I love checking them out in the shower, in the mirror, after I put on a top. Oh well, a little narcism is good for us, isn't it?  ;D

Still don't have to wear a sports bra for running, but I can see the time approaching. I do wear a tight camisole to reduce the chafing.

Here are the injection supplies I bought, all from Amazon. Today was the first time I had them all:

Drawing needles, 18g: Disposable Sterile 100Pack (18G-1IN/25mm) Brand: BD

Injecting needles, 22g: Sterile 22g 1.5 inch 100pcs by BP-ject (I should have bought the 1 inch instead, but this is fine; just don't push it so far in)

Syringes, low dead-space 1ml: Easy Glide 1ml 1cc Sterile Syringe Luer Lock Tip, No Needle, Pack of 100 by Global Medical Products

The Luerloc syringe/needle connector is worth having. They screw on and off rather than friction fit. All my needles and syringes have this.

The low dead-space syringe has a rubber extension on the plunger that pushes the medication up through the base of the needle so less is wasted.

Since everything came in quantity 100 it'll last me two years.

The 1ml syringe is much easier to use for a 1/2 ml injection than the 3ml that the pharmacy originally gave me. Thanks to Faith for recommending this.

I bought a sharps container at the grocery store. They were on a shelf just outside the pharmacy window and not expensive. Some of my friends have bags of used syringes and were wondering what to do with them. My understanding is that once everything is in the container and the lid closed, it is safe in the household trash. It's not hazardous waste from a chemical standpoint, just need to make sure the needles are contained. I suppose you could remove the needles and just put those in the container. The syringes without the needles would be safe in the trash, but it might worry somebody who saw them. On the other hand, syringes without needles have lots of non-medical uses, such as for plant food, giving medicine to babies, filling mandolin case humidifiers (I have one of those)...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:53:11 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Tags: