Author Topic: Randi's HRT Journal  (Read 2973 times)

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
Re: Randi's HRT Journal
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2021, 08:52:03 pm »
I started a new thread about estradiol supplies being out of stock -- I can't get any for injection. Manufacturer backlog?

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,256119.msg2417293.html#msg2417293
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:52:53 pm by Northern Star Girl »
Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Faith

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2021, 06:39:15 am »
glad you hear of your noticeable progress.
*running* Short strides and balls of feet reduce any bounce, for when that time comes.
*shringe* Well, at least I had something to say to help someone :D
*Luerloc* Always. Press on, more common than I would think, tend to be problematic with high viscosity. At least for me

**Sharps container and disposal.
Check local requirements. Our local police station collects filled containers for disposal, no charge. They also have a drop off for empty medicine containers for any deemed unsafe. I never bought a container, one was provided for me. My first batch of empties was in an empty liter soda bottle and was given an empty sharps container in return.

Wow, 20 weeks in, over 4.5 months. Breast growth has definitely started. I love checking them out in the shower, in the mirror, after I put on a top. Oh well, a little narcism is good for us, isn't it?  ;D

Still don't have to wear a sports bra for running, but I can see the time approaching. I do wear a tight camisole to reduce the chafing.

Here are the injection supplies I bought, all from Amazon. Today was the first time I had them all:

Drawing needles, 18g: Disposable Sterile 100Pack (18G-1IN/25mm) Brand: BD

Injecting needles, 22g: Sterile 22g 1.5 inch 100pcs by BP-ject (I should have bought the 1 inch instead, but this is fine; just don't push it so far in)

Syringes, low dead-space 1ml: Easy Glide 1ml 1cc Sterile Syringe Luer Lock Tip, No Needle, Pack of 100 by Global Medical Products

The Luerloc syringe/needle connector is worth having. They screw on and off rather than friction fit. All my needles and syringes have this.

The low dead-space syringe has a rubber extension on the plunger that pushes the medication up through the base of the needle so less is wasted.

Since everything came in quantity 100 it'll last me two years.

The 1ml syringe is much easier to use for a 1/2 ml injection than the 3ml that the pharmacy originally gave me. Thanks to Faith for recommending this.

I bought a sharps container at the grocery store. They were on a shelf just outside the pharmacy window and not expensive. Some of my friends have bags of used syringes and were wondering what to do with them. My understanding is that once everything is in the container and the lid closed, it is safe in the household trash. It's not hazardous waste from a chemical standpoint, just need to make sure the needles are contained. I suppose you could remove the needles and just put those in the container. The syringes without the needles would be safe in the trash, but it might worry somebody who saw them. On the other hand, syringes without needles have lots of non-medical uses, such as for plant food, giving medicine to babies, filling mandolin case humidifiers (I have one of those)...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:52:34 pm by Northern Star Girl »

Offline JanePlain

• This road has a few bumps I wasn't expecting.
  • Janes not here!
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2021, 11:00:26 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions Jay @JanePlain and @Faith. Faith, you can get low-dead space syringes that are supposed to reduce the amount lost. I think that's how they're getting extra doses out of the Covid vaccination vials.

I bought a box of 18G needles for drawing and that certainly made it easier today.

A friend suggested straightening my leg so that the quad muscle can be slack when injecting. I sat on a low bench and it definitely made it easier.

Interestingly two weeks ago it felt like the effects of the estradiol had worn off by day 5. So I injected a day early, last Sunday. But this week that didn't happen and I could wait until today. I don't think there was any difference in my procedure, I guess just natural variability in my body? Or phase of the moon lol.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

For sure listen to your Body. Good God my doctor put me on monthly injections and I was totally insane with too much for a week. Somewhat to normal for a while then the last week was like hell. Before injections were banned I was doing them weekly. (Lower dose 4 times) Gels are sort of nice I think they give you a pretty even feeling.

"This world is but canvas to our imaginations.
Henry David Thoreau - (1817-1862)

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2021, 09:34:35 pm »
@Darilee asked why I'm on estradiol injections rather than pills. Her doctor favors pills and she wanted more information. I posted the following explanation for my own situation, which may be more informative than what I said before:

I see an Ob/Gyn doctor for my HRT. She actually didn't even discuss it and sent me across the hallway for my blood test and first injection immediately after we walked through the informed consent paperwork. Maybe she felt secure in the expedited process because she knows my primary care doctor. Also I was feeling quite confident that this was the right road for me which perhaps projected an encouraging vibe.

She does HRT for cis women as a significant part of her practice. I think working with trans people is likely a sideline for her. Anyway that gives her a lot of experience in managing HRT primarily in an older population.

I was comfortable with injection because I've heard, and this is not medical advice, that injection goes straight to the bloodstream without making a pass through the liver. And for an older person this might reduce the risk of liver problems or blood clots.

So my doctor's professional judgement and experience correlated with what I'd heard before and it's working well for me.

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2021, 09:43:36 pm »
And to build on the final sentence of my previous post, yes my HRT is working quite well for me. I got my blood test results taken at 5 months today and had a consult with my doc.

Estradiol 492 pg/mL. This was surprisingly high to her, but given that all my other results are good and I'm feeling fine with this level (yes!!!) we'll stay with it for now.

Testosterone total 8 ng/dL, free 0.2 pg/mL, sex hormone binding globulin 164 nmol/L. This last is high, so she'll watch it. I don't know what the impacts are.

I am not taking a blocker, only finasteride.

My metabolic results were all good.

I'll get my next test in 3 months. If all is good then, we'll go to 6 month intervals.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2021, 06:34:45 am »
Randi,

While 492 pg/ml may seem a bit high, you need to consider when the blood sample was taken relative to your last date of injection. Even with an injectable form of Estradiol, you can get some fluctuation in blood levels. All medications have a high point (peak) and a low point (trough) in blood levels. While both peak and trough are important, the trough is more important for determining your dose.  To get a good trough reading you must draw the blood sample just before your next scheduled injection of Estradiol.

Many of us have had good transitions with blood levels in the 200 to 300 pg/ml range. Many doctors feel that excessively high blood levels may make a person more susceptible to the unpleasant side effects of Estradiol.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2021, 11:02:42 am »
Randi,

While 492 pg/ml may seem a bit high, you need to consider when the blood sample was taken relative to your last date of injection. Even with an injectable form of Estradiol, you can get some fluctuation in blood levels. All medications have a high point (peak) and a low point (trough) in blood levels. While both peak and trough are important, the trough is more important for determining your dose.  To get a good trough reading you must draw the blood sample just before your next scheduled injection of Estradiol.

Many of us have had good transitions with blood levels in the 200 to 300 pg/ml range. Many doctors feel that excessively high blood levels may make a person more susceptible to the unpleasant side effects of Estradiol.
Thanks for the clarification Rakel and I agree. My BT's are always taken at the trough, at the time the next injection is scheduled but before I inject.

I will monitor myself for unpleasant side effects at this level and consult with my doctor if anything comes up. And as I said, we'll look at the next BT in July to help determine where to go from there. If it remains high I expect she'll want to reduce my levels.

Offline pamelatransuk

• Finally taking action after decades of suppression
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2021, 08:42:27 am »
Rakel

I think you may wish to see Randi's post timed at 11.46pm on my "Comparison" thread as she now recalls that latest was not in fact a trough reading which she usually seeks but this time it did not happen.

She also raises a question in that post where I suggest you may be able to help please.

Please feel to answer on either thread or both threads. Thanking you.

Hugs

Pamela xx

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2021, 11:06:10 pm »
No particular news; breasts are tender more often lately. I kind of feel like my butt must be bigger because I've stopped wearing a belt with my jeans and they stay up (pretty much). But it's back there and I can't really see it ;D  Nothing to see in the hips -- still bony as always. According to some bra charts I should be a 36B, but I don't believe that. Maybe an A cup? In any event, I'm not buying anything other than sports bras at the moment. Somebody commented that they could see a difference in my face, but of course I don't see it.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2021, 06:00:23 am »
No particular news;... Somebody commented that they could see a difference in my face, but of course I don't see it.

This is exactly what people were saying about me when I first started hormone therapy. I looked different somehow, but they really were not sure. I told people that it was due to my massive weight loss at the time. Most probably, it was due to both weight loss and hormone therapy. 

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Tags: