Author Topic: GRS - The After-Party  (Read 7981 times)

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
GRS - The After-Party
« on: November 29, 2020, 07:25:56 am »
Megan's Post-Hospital GRS recovery diary, for the few months after my week-long hospital stay.

I'll make regular posts here in future...

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: GRS - The After-Party
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 10:01:12 am »
Megan's Post-Hospital GRS recovery diary, for the few months after my week-long hospital stay.

I'll make regular posts here in future...

@Megan.
Dear Megan:
I was hoping that you would start this new blog thread that will allow me and the
rest of your readers  to follow your post-op progress.

I will be eagerly looking for your updates as you feel comfortable sharing.

HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 40

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 08:19:27 am »
... following from my stay in hospital, this and future posts in this thread will cover my recovery now I'm back home...

First full day at home...

Dilation this morning was another challenge. I tried shortly after waking up, but made little progress. It was very uncomfortable, and the muscles did not want to relax. So I pressed pause, had a coffee, did some breathing exercises and Devlyn got me a warm pack to place on my mons pubis to help things relax further.

After these tricks, an hour after that early failure, I had a good dilation, and got to depth.

For this mornings session, I stuck again to just the small NHS one (1"), but I'll have another try with the next size up at my next session.

After dilation, a douche and a freshen up, I got dressed and went for a gentle walk out, around 600m total, I plan to do the same this afternoon.

I gained over 5lbs my week in hospital, the bulk of this is swelling and fluid retention; getting out and active will help flush this out, and give me back more energy.

There is absolutely a degree of discipline to this recovery. Dilation is really quite uncomfortable currently - which will improve in time - but most certainly a chore I don't relish right now. In a way it's like fitness training, the reward comes after...

I'm also getting into a gradual routine for these tasks. Getting everything I'll need ready beforehand, and figuring how to remove my rubber gloves, covered in lube, without covering everything else.

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 08:36:48 am »
As i mentioned in the preceding thread, I also have a Twitter feed that contains adult/medical imagery that accompanies this thread.

If you'd like access to that resource, please PM me.

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 08:46:05 am »
Future posts will use the dilation key below for brevity:

* [X]D = Dilation Number (e.g. 2D is second dilation of the day)

* NHS = 1" small NHS issued dilator

* SS1 = 1 1/8" SoulSource dilator

* SS2 = 1 1/4" SoulSource dilator

* FD = Full Depth. Immediately post-surgery this was around 5 1/2", or the 5th dot on the SS1.

* PD = Partial Depth. Unable to reach full depth with the given dilator at this attempt.

* D[X] = Duration ammount in minutes (i.e. D20m is a twenty minute duration).

Example:

1D:NHS-FD-D20

Would mean first dilation of the day used the 1" NHS dilator at full-depth for twenty minutes!

X.

Offline putaringonit

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 12:52:43 pm »
Megan! you are so amazing for keeping us up with how things are going. As someone who still dreams of her GCS day, your threads are so very educational, and are helping me get an idea of how my recovery could look like (although I'll choose a different surgeon).

I'm glad to read that, other than the dilations being a tad difficult, your recovery is going well!

Lots of good energy your way!!

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 01:36:00 pm »
Megan! you are so amazing for keeping us up with how things are going. As someone who still dreams of her GCS day, your threads are so very educational, and are helping me get an idea of how my recovery could look like (although I'll choose a different surgeon).

I'm glad to read that, other than the dilations being a tad difficult, your recovery is going well!

Lots of good energy your way!!
Thnx hon, glad they're of help. X

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 01:45:15 pm »
Tings, Zings and Pings!

It comes and goes through the day, but I certainly have times when, what I'm sure are nerves, are reconnecting or firing.

These little momentary and moderately painful moments do catch me totally by surprise, and cause me to catch my breath. They are another reminder that my body has changed, I need to re-learn it, and it has to re-learn itself.

I had major Abdominoplasty a few years back that included the removal of a triangle of loose skin from my belly, and repositioning of my belly button back to a natural location. I still get an itch - from time to time - that I cannot scratch! A tad frustrating, but the reality of how the body can re-map, but not always perfectly.

How my new body parts feel and react to sensory input will be something I truly hope to explore when my physical recovery is more advanced. X

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 04:07:46 pm »
Daily Summary:

2D:NHS-FD-D20:SS1-PD-D5
3D:NHS-FD-D20:SS1-PD-D5

I still find dilating - at this early stage - very uncomfortable. The two main issues being:

1. Tender section of graft on left entrance of vagina - plenty of lube helps with this.

2. What feels like 'grit' at certain points as the dilator moves in. I will enquire with my nurse, but I suspect that this may be sutures.

Outside of dilation, discomfort is minor, although sitting is still uncomfortable for long periods.

I'm getting through a fairly large number of sanitary pads. I change every time I dilate or visit the bathroom. I'm using cheap own-brand (90p/24) basic normal towels, and these work fine.

I'm douching with saline water after each dilation, and then rising the area with luke-warm water from the shower hand-cassette.

Today I've had one dose of ibuprofen, and two doses of paracetamol; this is plenty to manage my pain levels.

After urination, I pour a jug of warm fresh water over the area, then gently towel dry, using a small dedicated towel replaced daily.

I'm also spending some time each day without a pad or underwear, to let air get to the area.

Devlyn is ensuring I get plenty of fibre in my diet, and for exercise, I got one ~600m walk in, plus up/down the stairs about ten times.

Any questions, just ask :-). X

Offline Laura1951

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 04:19:47 pm »
I'm so glad you've started this thread. It gives me a window into what to expect.

thanks.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 08:19:53 am »
Just a walkin' girl...

This morning I walked 1km, and I just got back from another 1.3km walk. By the end of the second one, I was certainly ready to stop, and things were getting a little tender downstairs.

It wasn't the greatest pace, the first 1km took me over 18mins to cover, but that's fine, it's all about stamina right now, not speed.

My wonderful Devlyn brought me back some Turkish Delight from town, she knows how to treat me right :-)

I'm trying to balance my calorie needs right now, I don't want to deprive my body of the energy it needs to heal, but also I'm being very sedentary, and I don't want to gain weight either.

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 09:08:20 am »
AS they say "a little of what you fancy does you good". Proper Turkish delight is my favourite .
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever

Offline Alice

• The Battle Within
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 03:34:20 pm »
Megan,

Not sure if I will be keen to walk so far so close to my surgery. However I am glad to know you are up and about.

Alice

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 04:13:30 pm »
Megan,

Not sure if I will be keen to walk so far so close to my surgery. However I am glad to know you are up and about.

Alice
I had a Devlyn and a phone with me in-case, and I was far from marching pace! Lol

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 04:33:15 pm »
Daily Summary:

2D:NHS-FD-D20:SS1-FD-D5
3D:NHS-FD-D20:SS1-FD-D5

Today brought highs and lows...

I finally got the purple SoulSource dilator to full-depth, in both my second and third sessions. An improvement on yesterday, and something I found encouraging.

I also had confirmed from the surgeon that the 'scratchiness' I can feel at points when the dilator is going in are the surgical sutures. These will break down in time, but while bearable, will be around for a good few weeks yet, and they certainly make it harder to relax into the process. The flip-side of this discomfort is that I certainly have a degree of sensation internally, a result I guess of the scrotal graft technique used in my procedure.

The low of the day came during my third session. There is one incredibly sensitive point near the vaginal entrance, that when I touch it with the dilator is truly unbearable - 10/10 pain level stuff. I caught that point this evening, and almost gave up on the entire dilation exercise.

Everybody's experience of GRS will be different, but most will face that kind of moment, from pain, tiredness, discomfort, or even simply finding the time in a busy life. This is when discipline has to kick in. I gave myself a few minutes to relax, applied a large amount of fresh lube, and went again, with much better results.

Below is a picture of my now standard dilation set up...

* rubber gloves
* incontinence sheet - to save bedding from being goo'd
* Dilators
* Lube
* Heat pack - to relax my pelvic muscles beforehand.
* Mirror - can be handy.
* Some kitchen roll towel for initial de-gooping.

Out of the picture is also our Alexa device. She plays me soothing music, and runs my 'at-depth' timers for me - hands free!

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 05:06:30 am »
Train crash! Major delrailment!

What a disaster... Over night, sensitivity has increased to the point I went into shock trying to dilate this morning. I failed completely and ended up a sobbing mess.

It took me 10 minutes to finally reach the bathroom (15-feet). My angel Devlyn came and helped me shower and finally limp back into bed.

I've contacted the the surgery nurse for help, but I'm an emotional shell right now.

I can't face the thought of lube, or dilators for a while.

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 06:19:55 am »
Megan dear,

The healing process is sometimes a rough road. I have been there. I understand how difficult this can be.

Pain and inflammation can build at any time for any number of reasons. Blood can come out unexpectedly and scare the heck out of us.

Walking and showering, as you already did, are the proper things to do. You may also consider a sitz bath or a soak in a clean tub with warm water. Don't forget your pain meds. These things helped me immensely during my healing stages.

I did my recovery alone. You are so fortunate you have Devlyn there to help.

Take care and know that we are all thinking of you.  :-*

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 06:27:21 am »
Megan dear,

The healing process is sometimes a rough road. I have been there. I understand how difficult this can be.

Pain and inflammation can build at any time for any number of reasons. Blood can come out unexpectedly and scare the heck out of us.

Walking and showering, as you already did, are the proper things to do. You may also consider a sitz bath or a soak in a clean tub with warm water. Don't forget your pain meds. These things helped me immensely during my healing stages.

I did my recovery alone. You are so fortunate you have Devlyn there to help.

Take care and know that we are all thinking of you.  :-*
Rakel,

Thank you, and thank you for the tips.

I'm as angry and frustrated with myself more than anyone right now. I was so determined to stick to a good routine, but I guess life likes to throw a curve-ball! X

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 06:49:24 am »
I forgot to mention that when we heal from any surgery, sometimes excess fluid builds up in the surgical area. If this fluid is colored with a little whole blood, it looks as red as blood and we fear internal bleeding.  This can be very scary, but it really is just part of the healing process.

Many surgeons put in a drain and collection bottle in the surgical site to measure how much fluid is oozing out. This measurement helps tell your surgeon how well the incisions are healing.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 08:39:53 am »
I forgot to mention that when we heal from any surgery, sometimes excess fluid builds up in the surgical area. If this fluid is colored with a little whole blood, it looks as red as blood and we fear internal bleeding.  This can be very scary, but it really is just part of the healing process.

Many surgeons put in a drain and collection bottle in the surgical site to measure how much fluid is oozing out. This measurement helps tell your surgeon how well the incisions are healing.
This is very true, it's important to understand that some bleeding is a healthy part of this recovery.

In my case there has actually been very little in this area, and I'm not one to worry about such things anyway.

The only issue I have right now is some poor tissue right at the vaginal entrance that is sensitive to the point of agony. This in itself will resolve in time, but in the meanwhile it's making dilation incredibly hard, and that could have a long term impact on the health of my new vagina.

I'm going to have another attempt later today, if that fails, I can go back into the hospital to see what they can do.

Tags: