Author Topic: Supreme Court Turns Back Challenge From Oregon Parents  (Read 575 times)

Offline Laura1951

Supreme Court Turns Back Challenge From Oregon Parents
« on: December 07, 2020, 12:08:03 pm »
Supreme Court won't take up case challenging school's policy allowing a transgender student to use bathroom corresponding with their identity

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/07/politics/supreme-court-transgender-bathrooms-oregon/index.html

CNN by Ariane de Vogue and Devan Cole on December 7, 2020

The Supreme Court declined on Monday to take up a case from parents in Oregon who challenged a public school's policy allowing a transgender student to use the bathroom that corresponded with his gender identity.

In declining to take up the petition, the justices left in place an appeals court decision earlier this year that held that the school's policy intended to "avoid discrimination and ensure the safety and well-being of transgender students."

===============

Another small victory
“When you’re ready, start living your truth. That’s when the magic happens.”

One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey   |  Laura's HRT Journal 

Full Time since 11/27/20  |  Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: Supreme Court Turns Back Challenge From Oregon Parents
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 12:45:45 pm »
@Laura1951
Dear Laura:
Thank you for posting this relevant NEWS story which can directly affect our members wherever they live.
HUGS,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 02:50:44 pm »
Hi Laura,

Thanks for the posting the short note on whether this was good or bad for us.  After a busy day of work it can be confusing!

Marion

Offline SailorMooo

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:50:21 pm »
"The decision not to take this case is an important and powerful message to trans and non-binary youth that they deserve to share space with and enjoy the benefits of school alongside their non-transgender peers," Chase Strangio, the deputy director for trans justice with the ACLU's LGBT and HIV Project, said in a statement.

In late August, a federal appeals court handed a win to a transgender former student in a years-long fight over restroom policies, ruling that policies segregating transgender students from their peers are unconstitutional and violate federal law prohibiting sex discrimination in education. That decision relied in part on the Supreme Court's ruling earlier this year in favor of LGBT workers.

CNN's Jessica Schneider contributed to this report.

**so glad for them, must be such a... relief  ::) ;)

SailorMooo  :laugh:

Tags: