Author Topic: Study highlights PSA screening gaps for transgender people  (Read 614 times)

Offline Laura1951

Study highlights PSA screening gaps for transgender people
« on: December 08, 2020, 08:27:15 am »
Study highlights PSA screening gaps for transgender people

https://www.medwirenews.com/oncology/prostate-cancer/psa-screening-gaps-transgender-people/18662404

MedWire News by Shreeya Nanda on December 7, 2020

US researchers report a lower uptake of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening by transgender individuals than cisgender straight men.

However, cisgender gay and bisexual people were more than likely than their straight counterparts to participate in screening and “select gay individuals were more likely to make informed and shared decisions,” note Paula Neira (Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health, Baltimore, Maryland) and team.

==============

If you're an older MTF like me, get your PSA checked regularly.
“When you’re ready, start living your truth. That’s when the magic happens.”

One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey   |  Laura's HRT Journal 

Full Time since 11/27/20  |  Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Study highlights PSA screening gaps for transgender people
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 08:34:13 am »
Yes, very important. When my wife and I attend the panel for fifth year medical students, they're already being taught how to ask what organs you have and haven't so that they can provide you with the proper treatment.

I've seen people here go so far as to say that their doctor doesn't need to know their history..... that's incorrect, and dangerous.
Veteran, US Army

Offline ramilove

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 12:02:05 pm »
The gap in screening transgender females might be because  "Trans women receiving androgen deprivation therapy and estrogens have a substantially lower risk for prostate cancer than the general male population"

This is just one study and the finding could attributed to any number of f reasons for the substantial lower risk of prostate cancer in our population. Namely we die of other causes before prostate cancer comes into play.

"Prostate Cancer Incidence under Androgen Deprivation: Nationwide Cohort Study in Trans Women Receiving Hormone Treatment"
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Sep; 105(9): e3293–e3299.
Published online 2020 Jun 27. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgaa412
PMCID: PMC7379905
PMID: 32594155
Electrolysis 3/4/2020
Estradiol 3/10/2020

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 12:39:01 pm »
The gap in screening transgender females might be because  "Trans women receiving androgen deprivation therapy and estrogens have a substantially lower risk for prostate cancer than the general male population"

This is just one study and the finding could attributed to any number of f reasons for the substantial lower risk of prostate cancer in our population. Namely we die of other causes before prostate cancer comes into play.

"Prostate Cancer Incidence under Androgen Deprivation: Nationwide Cohort Study in Trans Women Receiving Hormone Treatment"
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Sep; 105(9): e3293–e3299.
Published online 2020 Jun 27. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgaa412
PMCID: PMC7379905
PMID: 32594155

Also from the same study:

"However, it remains important that trans women and their healthcare providers are aware of the presence of the prostate and the possibility of developing prostate cancer despite low serum androgen levels."
Veteran, US Army

Offline sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 12:57:42 pm »
My primary care doctor (who works with a ton of trans patients, as she is part of the Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health that did the above-mentioned study) says that it is important for me to continue to get screened, and she wants me to have a prostate exam at the usual times (starting at age 50)

With that said, however, my PSA has completely nosedived on HRT. I had a PSA of 1.4, but now it's down to undetectable.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Laura1951

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 01:30:03 pm »
My primary care doctor (who works with a ton of trans patients, as she is part of the Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health that did the above-mentioned study) says that it is important for me to continue to get screened, and she wants me to have a prostate exam at the usual times (starting at age 50)

With that said, however, my PSA has completely nosedived on HRT. I had a PSA of 1.4, but now it's down to undetectable.

Sarah
THIS.

Before HRT, I had a fairly high PSA number which concerned my primary doctor. With HRT, my PSA has dived as well. My prostrate is still enlarged and, thank goodness, it's easier to pee, but my doc still wants to monitor my PSA yearly. I suspect that once I have GCS and I'm not on Spiro anymore, my PSA will return to its prior high level.

Laura
“When you’re ready, start living your truth. That’s when the magic happens.”

One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey   |  Laura's HRT Journal 

Full Time since 11/27/20  |  Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline AnneK

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 09:52:30 pm »
Funny you should mention this.  I have a PSA lab test scheduled for Thursay. (Thanks to the pandemic, the lab now requires booked appointements.)  I wonder if I have to study for the test.   ;)
I'm a 67 year old AMAB who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.

Tags: