News and Events > Science & Medical News

Study highlights PSA screening gaps for transgender people

(1/2) > >>

Laura1951:
Study highlights PSA screening gaps for transgender people

https://www.medwirenews.com/oncology/prostate-cancer/psa-screening-gaps-transgender-people/18662404

MedWire News by Shreeya Nanda on December 7, 2020

US researchers report a lower uptake of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) screening by transgender individuals than cisgender straight men.

However, cisgender gay and bisexual people were more than likely than their straight counterparts to participate in screening and “select gay individuals were more likely to make informed and shared decisions,” note Paula Neira (Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health, Baltimore, Maryland) and team.

==============

If you're an older MTF like me, get your PSA checked regularly.

Devlyn:
Yes, very important. When my wife and I attend the panel for fifth year medical students, they're already being taught how to ask what organs you have and haven't so that they can provide you with the proper treatment.

I've seen people here go so far as to say that their doctor doesn't need to know their history..... that's incorrect, and dangerous.

ramilove:
The gap in screening transgender females might be because  "Trans women receiving androgen deprivation therapy and estrogens have a substantially lower risk for prostate cancer than the general male population"

This is just one study and the finding could attributed to any number of f reasons for the substantial lower risk of prostate cancer in our population. Namely we die of other causes before prostate cancer comes into play.

"Prostate Cancer Incidence under Androgen Deprivation: Nationwide Cohort Study in Trans Women Receiving Hormone Treatment"
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Sep; 105(9): e3293–e3299.
Published online 2020 Jun 27. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgaa412
PMCID: PMC7379905
PMID: 32594155

Devlyn:

--- Quote from: ramilove on December 08, 2020, 12:02:05 pm ---The gap in screening transgender females might be because  "Trans women receiving androgen deprivation therapy and estrogens have a substantially lower risk for prostate cancer than the general male population"

This is just one study and the finding could attributed to any number of f reasons for the substantial lower risk of prostate cancer in our population. Namely we die of other causes before prostate cancer comes into play.

"Prostate Cancer Incidence under Androgen Deprivation: Nationwide Cohort Study in Trans Women Receiving Hormone Treatment"
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Sep; 105(9): e3293–e3299.
Published online 2020 Jun 27. doi: 10.1210/clinem/dgaa412
PMCID: PMC7379905
PMID: 32594155

--- End quote ---

Also from the same study:

"However, it remains important that trans women and their healthcare providers are aware of the presence of the prostate and the possibility of developing prostate cancer despite low serum androgen levels."

sarahc:
My primary care doctor (who works with a ton of trans patients, as she is part of the Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health that did the above-mentioned study) says that it is important for me to continue to get screened, and she wants me to have a prostate exam at the usual times (starting at age 50)

With that said, however, my PSA has completely nosedived on HRT. I had a PSA of 1.4, but now it's down to undetectable.

Sarah

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version