Author Topic: First in-person work meeting with a new contact coming up, and I'm nervous  (Read 596 times)

Online sarahc

• Sarah
So because of the pandemic, I have been able to work on my new business pretty much entirely virtually. And that has enabled me to stick with presenting on Zoom and that's it. And on Zoom I look really good.

But...I just scheduled my first in-person work meeting with someone who has never met me before. The meeting is coming up in two weeks, and I'm feeling a bit frazzled. I have one outfit that I could wear - so clothing wise I think I'll be fine. But I'm kind of nervous about the makeup / hair...

Any tips / words of encouragement?

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline Northern Star Girl

• Previously Alaskan Danielle
  • northernstargirl@susans.org
Re: First in-person work meeting with a new contact coming up, and I'm nervous
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 01:53:37 pm »
@sarahc
Dear Sarah:
I fully understand your trepidation regarding meeting "in-person" with your client.... but with the Zoom meetings your client already knows you as the female Sarah.  Do your best and plan for success.

I found that my clients could care less about my past... and they are more interested in my advice and work ethic.

Be positive... be self-assured and show confidence.

HUGS and best wishes,
Danielle
***SEE MY LINKS BELOW
The Ramblings of a Northern*Star Girl
A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles
I am the HUNTED PREY: Danielle’s Chronicles
Things change re: ALASKAN DANIELLE
Positive Mindset... put away negativity

Started HRT:   March 2015
Went Full-Time    December 2016
Quit my male-mode job and relocated to a very small town in Alaska in January 2017
I'm a blonde, blue eyed woman, Age 41

Offline Pammie

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 01:59:44 pm »
So because of the pandemic, I have been able to work on my new business pretty much entirely virtually. And that has enabled me to stick with presenting on Zoom and that's it. And on Zoom I look really good.

But...I just scheduled my first in-person work meeting with someone who has never met me before. The meeting is coming up in two weeks, and I'm feeling a bit frazzled. I have one outfit that I could wear - so clothing wise I think I'll be fine. But I'm kind of nervous about the makeup / hair...

Sarah
In many ways zoom meetings are no freebies, if you have done well on zoom that means both looks and voice are in place so a face to face meeting can be thought of as less scary than it might otherwise be. You got this girl! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online sarahc

• Sarah
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 02:41:27 pm »
In many ways zoom meetings are no freebies, if you have done well on zoom that means both looks and voice are in place so a face to face meeting can be thought of as less scary than it might otherwise be. You got this girl! Xx

Actually, Zoom played to my strengths well...my voice is really good post-VFS and my face is fine. And it's hard to read over height and build over Zoom. In addition, there has been little need to get dressed up head-to-toe with makeup over Zoom.

It's really the "looking put together" part that I'm most nervous about...it's pretty easy to look put together on Zoom; harder in person.

Sarah
----
48 years young.
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.phpVF/topic,244009.0.html)
VFS: September 2019; three-month report here
Full-time: April 2020
FFS: August 2020
SRS: January 2021

Offline davina61

• The ramblings of an old dear
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 02:46:24 pm »
The best thing you can wear is confidence and a friendly smile.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever.
I get pushed out of shape and its hard to steer when I get rubber in all 4 gears (Beach Boys ,little deuce coupe)

Offline Pammie

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 03:48:52 pm »
Actually, Zoom played to my strengths well...my voice is really good post-VFS and my face is fine. And it's hard to read over height and build over Zoom. In addition, there has been little need to get dressed up head-to-toe with makeup over Zoom.

It's really the "looking put together" part that I'm most nervous about...it's pretty easy to look put together on Zoom; harder in person.

Sarah
Dear Sarah,
If your voice and face are good the rest will be easy - I think you just need to (if you haven’t already) find your style or styles. You will be fine and you have some big pluses!

Offline CaelaNotKayla

• Everyone needs a little glam sometime!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 04:02:39 pm »
Sarah-

I'd say just be yourself- find what you are comfortable with as that will allow you to focus on your meeting and confidently talking about your business without worrying so much about the look. 

"looking put together".... just be confident.  You've got this!

Hugs!

Caela
My Blog Thread - The Chronicles of Caela

Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold - Demi Lovato

Offline Rachel

• Family
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 05:34:55 pm »
Hi Sarah,

I know when I went full time I was very self conscious. I look back on it now and think to my self no one really cared except me. Yes, it is different but it is just a part of you and not the whole you.

I think being comfortable with yourself and friendly make a difference. Like others said self confidence and being who you are and what you are representing is what the meeting is about.

Where I work non-essential workers word off site or are no longer working. When on site we are 6 feet apart and wear masks. Other PPE is used for more in depth work. I do not know your company policies but everyone wears a face mask. I stopped wearing makeup because of having to wear PPE.

Good luck, you got this.
MTF in need of help link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,133631.1980.html
MTF in need of help 2 link https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,251825.0.html
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas FemLar 10/13/2020

Offline Jane.Shannon

• Friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 10:30:52 pm »
When I am nervous about a meeting I think of the story about Noble physicist Richard Feynman meeting the world famous physicist Niels Bohr.  At the time Bohr was one of the most important names in science, and Feynman had recently completed his PhD.  They got talking about physics and Feynman disagreed with Bohr.  At some point he realized he was arguing physics with a genus.  He concluded physics was physics, and that once he focused on the science the fact he was talking with a celebrity was forgotten. 

I would recommend putting an outfit together that looks comfortable and professional.  Then forget about it, and focus on the task at hand.  These people wouldn't be talking to you if they didn't believe you have the expertise they seek.  Enjoy the conversation!
July 2020: Full Time
Aug 2019: Started HRT
Dec 2019: Hair Feminization Surgery

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 02:42:13 am »

Sarah

I've had hundreds of business meetings over the last few years since transitioning. In not one of them has me being trans been an issue, and I know I don't pass. Most professional business people are there for one reason - business. Keep the conversation professional and you'll be fine. X

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Offline Froodah

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 02:52:44 am »

I've had hundreds of business meetings over the last few years since transitioning. In not one of them has me being trans been an issue, and I know I don't pass. Most professional business people are there for one reason - business. Keep the conversation professional and you'll be fine. X

Ooh what kind of business do you do? x

Offline Megan.

• Homepage & Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 04:06:20 am »
Ooh what kind of business do you do? x
I work as a tech engineering manager for a major multinational business. My job requires extensive contact with both internal employees across the business globally, and also with external businesses, vendors and partners.

I have spoken at several external and internal events about Transgender issues, and I'm out and visible on the leadership team of our LGBT+ employee network that has 1000's of members around the world. X

"Life is a travelling to the edge of knowledge, then a leap taken." - D. H. Lawrence

Tags: