Author Topic: Trans women retain 12% edge in tests two years after transitioning, study finds  (Read 489 times)

Offline Laura1951

Trans women retain 12% edge in tests two years after transitioning, study finds

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/07/study-suggests-ioc-adjustment-period-for-trans-women-may-be-too-short

The Guardian on December 7, 2020

A groundbreaking new study on transgender athletes has found trans women retain a 12% advantage in running tests even after taking hormones for two years to suppress their testosterone. The results, researchers suggest, indicate the current International Olympic Committee guidelines may give trans women an “unfair competitive advantage” over biological women.

When asked for its response to the new research the IOC said it was now working on a “a framework for voluntary guidelines on the basis of gender identity and sex characteristics”, adding: “Overall, the discussions to date have confirmed considerable tension between the notions of fairness and inclusion, and the desire and need to protect the women’s category, all of which will need to be reconciled. The IOC aims to release this framework in 2021.”

===========

Oh, here we go again.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 05:09:09 pm by Laura1951 »
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey 

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Full Time since 11/27/20

Offline Pammie

• Up
Re: Study Prompts IOC to Change Transgender Athlete Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 03:00:03 pm »
Trans women retain 12% edge in tests two years after transitioning, study finds

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/07/study-suggests-ioc-adjustment-period-for-trans-women-may-be-too-short

The Guardian on December 7, 2020

A groundbreaking new study on transgender athletes has found trans women retain a 12% advantage in running tests even after taking hormones for two years to suppress their testosterone. The results, researchers suggest, indicate the current International Olympic Committee guidelines may give trans women an “unfair competitive advantage” over biological women.

When asked for its response to the new research the IOC said it was now working on a “a framework for voluntary guidelines on the basis of gender identity and sex characteristics”, adding: “Overall, the discussions to date have confirmed considerable tension between the notions of fairness and inclusion, and the desire and need to protect the women’s category, all of which will need to be reconciled. The IOC aims to release this framework in 2021.”

===========

Oh, here we go again.
Well, to be fair it absolutely is a contentious issue and a dangerous one for us MTF girls. If the trans community pushes the inclusion angle when there is scientific evidence that it does give an advantage we will be scoring an own goal in my view . Just my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gertrude

• Trudie
  • Family
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 03:32:21 pm »
There are a lot of factors for performance and it depends on the sport I guess. What about performance after 3 years? 4 years? Does it impact other sports besides running? if so, how so? I don't think there can be a one size fits all AND everyone being happy with it.

Offline Pammie

• Up
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 04:44:53 pm »
There are a lot of factors for performance and it depends on the sport I guess. What about performance after 3 years? 4 years? Does it impact other sports besides running? if so, how so? I don't think there can be a one size fits all AND everyone being happy with it.
I agree entirely. I think there are some sports though where it just can’t be sadly - athletes is an obvious one, tennis another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 04:56:17 pm »
I can find the study, but I can't find anywhere (except the Guardian article) indicating that the IOC has changed their policy.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Laura1951

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 05:01:31 pm »
They haven't changed it yet. The article says the changes should be out in 2021.

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey 

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Full Time since 11/27/20

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 05:06:16 pm »
They haven't changed it yet. The article says the changes should be out in 2021.

Laura

Gotcha.
Veteran, US Army

Tags: