Community Conversation > Non-binary talk

"unicorn forest"? More like Siberian Tundra

<< < (3/3)

Asche:
I was thinking: I don't know how much my experience will help the newer people.

My own experience of coming to terms with my transness, which was only in the past 7 years, was already very different from the people who transitioned a decade earlier, and I have the distinct impression that things have changed again, especially for the younger folks.  The whole approach to gender is evolving rapidly.  My older child says they're trans, but I really can't figure out what "trans" means to them or their trans friends.  It reminds me of how we are warned not to project our current notions of gender and trans-ness on previous centuries or even generations.*  E.g., to call Billy Tipton a "trans man" is to distort his experiences and his way of looking at himself.  Maybe my grandchildren (assuming I ever have grandchildren!) will have trouble understanding my generation's way of looking at gender and being trans.

For that matter, I have a hard time understanding those of "my generation."   I feel a lot more at home among 20-something non-binary presenting non-binary folks than I do with trans people closer to my own age.

* Not to mention different societies.

RandiL:
I think you said it in the final paragraph, about feeling more comfortable with 20-somethings than your own generation. I'm 68 and find relatively few others my age locally. I think my generation has many fewer people who get or understand about being trans. So what you are talking about may very much be a generational thing rather than being directly tied to a timeframe (the 2020's).

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Rakel:

--- Quote from: Asche on May 09, 2021, 07:08:28 pm ---I was thinking: I don't know how much my experience will help the newer people....

--- End quote ---

Gender dysphoria has been around for thousands of years, in fact, ever since mankind has become self aware.

Every generation has their own way of expressing them selves and those of us with gender dysphoria are no different from our peers. At times we were vilified and incarcerated. At others times we were humiliated. Only today we are somewhat accepted and not by everyone. We have always expressed ourselves with the language and terms we are familiar with.

Every generation can learn from those who preceded us. The issues are the same, only the circumstances are different for each generation. If we fail to know our history, then we are doomed to repeat past mistakes.

This is just my opinion. Everyone is free to accept or ignore my comments.

Take care.  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version