Author Topic: N.J. has made it easier for transgender people to change their names  (Read 97 times)

Offline Laura1951

N.J. has made it easier for transgender people to change their names

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/12/nj-has-made-it-easier-for-transgender-people-to-change-their-names.html

NJ.com by Tennyson Donyéa on December 17,  2020

Kris Berrios, a transgender man from Union County, remembers what it was like a few years ago, going through the process to change his name — one that he said felt unnecessarily drawn out.

This week, he joins LGBTQ advocates across the state in celebrating an alteration to the process for changing one’s name in the state of New Jersey, saying it better protects transgender citizens.

People seeking a court-ordered name change no longer need to publish their former and new names in the newspaper, thanks to a Supreme Court Amendment made Tuesday. In the past, New Jersey residents looking to legally change their names by court order were obligated to publish separately both the notice of application and the court order granting the name change.
===================

I hate that this has to be a thing, but at least we see some progress. Fortunately for me, California doesn't require newspaper notice for transgender name/gender changes.
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Tags: