Author Topic: Thinking of Orchiectomy Surgery  (Read 477 times)

Offline Steph1967

Thinking of Orchiectomy Surgery
« on: December 26, 2020, 02:18:31 pm »
So I have been taking hormones for a little over 3 months going on four in a couple of weeks.  I always wanted to be a girl but could not get myself to change because of career, family and other excuses which are just excuses.  Ever since I started taking the hormones I have been happy, calm and feel comfortable in my body.  Now that I finally have this calm I am really thinking about getting the Orchiectomy surgery sometime this year but I have been trying to find out a few things.
I am wondering does things change after the surgery or do you feel the same inside (Emotionally, physically ect) ?
How long would I be out of work after surgery?
How much does it cost?

Thanks for any input it is much appreciated
Steph

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
Re: Thinking of Orchiectomy Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 03:41:07 pm »
So I have been taking hormones for a little over 3 months going on four in a couple of weeks.  I always wanted to be a girl but could not get myself to change because of career, family and other excuses which are just excuses.  Ever since I started taking the hormones I have been happy, calm and feel comfortable in my body.  Now that I finally have this calm I am really thinking about getting the Orchiectomy surgery sometime this year but I have been trying to find out a few things.
I am wondering does things change after the surgery or do you feel the same inside (Emotionally, physically ect) ?

I felt a sense of peace after the surgery.

How long would I be out of work after surgery?

Your surgeon will answer that, it depends on the technique used. I had surgery on Friday and went back to work on Tuesday.

How much does it cost?

My numbers (privately purchased BCBS plan):

$310 for two psych letters  (I paid $120)
$75 for surgical consultation  (I paid $75)
$2,530 for the orchiectomy (I paid $279.43)
$1,120 for anesthesia  (I paid $177.16)
$3,044 for the operating room  (I paid $1787.90)

$7,079 total.  (I paid $2439.49)

Thanks for any input it is much appreciated
Steph

If you read my orchiectomy thread you can see what happens in the unlikely event that you have complications. Several other people also contribute their experiences and expenses in the thread. Here's the link:

Orchiectomy cost and concerns

Good luck!

Hugs, Devlyn
Veteran, US Army

Offline Steph1967

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 03:56:31 pm »
Devlyn,
Thank you for you in site and I will look at your posting to see if it has more answers for me.  I know my insurance will not cover it but I am sure there is a loop hole somewhere which I will need to ask my doctor when I see her in a few weeks.  I know I have to be on the hormones for at least 8 more months before being considered which will give me more time to find the right surgeon and find the money to cover it if I decide to go that route which I do but I think my age in my head is holding me back.  Thank you again and many hugs back!
Steph

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 04:18:31 pm »
Glad to help.  :)
Veteran, US Army

Offline Steph1967

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 06:49:43 am »
Devlyn,
I read your chain and it was extremely helpful so thank you again.
Many Hugs
Steph :)

Tags: