Author Topic: Surprised by a call to a breast form store  (Read 936 times)

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
Surprised by a call to a breast form store
« on: January 07, 2021, 04:33:47 pm »
  I decided I wanted to get breast forms for the slowly/rapidly emerging real me. I knew that it was cheaper to buy them online, but I was willing to pay more for expert guidance, maybe 100-150 dollars (US) for a pair. So I called a local prosthesis store to find out more. She had to find out if they could help me (as a male) so I assume I would have been a first. They could, so we talked a few more minutes and made an appointment for next Thursday. Then I asked about prices. $280 dollars for foam forms and $320 A PIECE for silicone! I said thank you and cancelled the appointment. I know the medical world is overcharging, and I'm sure these forms are "better", but $49.99 for a pair of crossdressing forms vs $600+ for medical forms? Has anybody else purchased from a medical prostheses store? Are these prices for real or did they not really want to deal with me?

Offline ErinWDK

• Confused? Welcome!
  • A unique spin on UNIQUE!
Re: Surprised by a call to a breast form store
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 05:48:29 pm »
They are not blowing you off.  They are used to clients working with medical insurance.  That makes their prices as nasty as they quoted you for a cash purchase.  I have bought breast forms online and you can get plenty good enough silicone ones for the prices you were expecting.  Caution, if you have a bit of breast development you need forms with a concave back to fit nicely.

Good luck!

E

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:58:52 pm »
When my wife was in hospice care I couldn't help notice that they had a team of people manning the phones. I assumed they were there to handle the paperwork to insure that they got paid!

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 07:29:46 pm »
Welcome everybody to the World of Medical Insurance.

Medical devices are expensive for two reasons.

1. They must be approved by the FDA the same as drugs. Lawyers are expensive per hour.

2. The mind set of many providers is to get as much money for services as the insurance will pay. To justify maximum reimbursement from any insurance company, the provider must claim a usual and customary charge that is outrageous. This is the retail, without insurance price.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Offline RandiL

• Formerly RandyL
  • On the way
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 11:21:38 pm »
At least with doctors, if you don't have insurance you can often negotiate a lower price. This is because the doctor never collects the "list price" from insurance. They have to write off a certain amount. I don't know if the prosthesis store has an arrangement like that. If they do you might be able to knock the price down some.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Forging my new, best life as Randi

My personal blog thread: Randi the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randi's HRT Journal

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 05:38:13 am »
It should also be remembered that fitting someone who has lost a breast is a difficult job.  This is a highly emotional situation and it takes a lot of people skills to be able to do this well. 

If you are wealthy and can afford it this may be a great option for getting something that looks and feels exactly the way you want it to.

Marion

Offline Anastasia

• Friend
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 02:44:46 pm »
I'm glad they weren't blowing me off. The lady I spoke to seemed very nice. Unfortunately, the price they quoted me is out of my budget. While I was willing to pay 3-4x what I could do online for expert help, 12x is a bit much.  :(

Tags: