News and Events > General News

Remote Work Eases Coming Out for Transgender Employees

(1/1)

Laura1951:
Remote Work Eases Coming Out for Transgender Employees

https://headtopics.com/us/remote-work-eases-coming-out-for-transgender-employees-17950721

Head Topics by Francesca Fontana on January 10, 2021

For those who decide to come out as transgender, the workplace can be a big hurdle—using the bathrooms, keeping up a new appearance and dealing with reactions from co-workers.

But with many offices going remote, more transgender employees are concluding they can come out while letting their work—not their gender identity—speak for them.

Carla68:
I came out at work towards the end of 2019 and had briefly spoke to HR about being me at work last January

I had already started going to the office in March pretty much androgynous with plan to progress slowly

I had already updated my skype picture but no video calls allowed in my office being at home soon gave me chance to say hi to my colleagues around the world

I tend to go to the office once a week and as only a few people in the office I just started to use my correct bathroom

I'll never know for sure but has seems to have made it easier

Carla

Zumbagirl:

--- Quote from: Laura1951 on January 10, 2021, 12:25:16 pm ---Remote Work Eases Coming Out for Transgender Employees

https://headtopics.com/us/remote-work-eases-coming-out-for-transgender-employees-17950721

Head Topics by Francesca Fontana on January 10, 2021

For those who decide to come out as transgender, the workplace can be a big hurdle—using the bathrooms, keeping up a new appearance and dealing with reactions from co-workers.

But with many offices going remote, more transgender employees are concluding they can come out while letting their work—not their gender identity—speak for them.

--- End quote ---

This is a good observation but social interaction with coworkers is also a good thing too even if it's awkward for a while. Work at home might be great for a job where you have no intention of leaving, but if the next job doesn't allow work from home, then one should always be prepared for that circumstance.

One of the down sides of covid is too much isolation. I like talking to people and being out in the world. Just going out for a walk in the woods with my puppies may make a great afternoon but it's not the same as having lunch with someone. I want this covid nonsense to end soon.

JoJoWolfe:
In my case my employer is Very big! For 9 months they monitored what was happening with vulnerable colleagues who had been sent home to work and gradually expanded the job roles being sent home and the nature of the work being done, Production increased, sickness levels plummeted and everyone was more satisfied with their work. It is now their long term intent that everyone should work from home with only a few days a month coming into the office (the option is there for those who still wish to work in the office). They will save millions in renting office space, it was mooted that each desk costs them £3,500 pa in rent etc and at least double in London, but only £100 for back office support for home workers, they have already vacated one floor in our building and this is being replicated all across the country.

I am semi-retired, started HRT September 2020 and intended to retire two years early between June -December this year depending on when the effects became too difficult to hide - yes I was basically planning to run away. Now I can carry on, the work is more interesting, I will now be banking money rather than drawing down on savings to supplement my pension (as well as accruing a bigger final pension), I’m saving time and money from commuting and my cat is happier!  :)

More options have now opened for me; I can work all the way to June 23 with 2 years salary and a bigger pension under my belt, I can drop down to two days a week at some time in the future or take a shorter period of early retirement. I am so excited by the possibilities.

My employer will have no problem whatsoever about me coming out as transgender, they’ll probably try to rope me in to be a diversity champion (I’m British so we generally have much more relaxed attitudes and legal protection/rights than in the US). I may very well come out eventually rather than leave and let word trickle back and if I do I believe it will be more manageable and probably therapeutic.

Once again the Universe is unveiling more of her plans for me and they are looking promising.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version