Author Topic: 2021 Arcus/Places Prize Winner: Susan Stryker  (Read 616 times)

Offline Laura1951

2021 Arcus/Places Prize Winner: Susan Stryker
« on: January 12, 2021, 09:19:52 am »
2021 Arcus/Places Prize Winner: Susan Stryker

https://placesjournal.org/news/2021-arcus-places-prize-winner-susan-stryker/

Places by Staff on January 11, 2021

We’re pleased to announce that Susan Stryker has been selected as the 2021 Arcus/Places Prize winner.

Susan Stryker is a leading voice in the field of transgender studies and an award-winning activist, author, and filmmaker. She holds the Barbara Lee Distinguished Chair in Women’s Leadership at Mills College and is professor emerita of Gender and Women’s Studies at the University of Arizona. Her Arcus/Places Prize project will explore the intersections of trans history and prison industrial complex (PIC) abolitionism in San Francisco’s Tenderloin.
“When you’re ready, start living your truth. That’s when the magic happens.”

One New Life to Live (My personal blog)  |  My BA Journey   |  Laura's HRT Journal 

Full Time since 11/27/20  |  Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline SailorMooo

Re: 2021 Arcus/Places Prize Winner: Susan Stryker
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 01:51:08 pm »
Thank You

Edit: That is nice, she is the fourth for the scholarship of 9500 USDs! That sure seems cool to earn money through a organization to fund your craft and produce werk beyond the normalcies of financial constrictions.. The other lady, Alice T Friedman seems pretty rad also. The Bay Area is lit & the restoration of San Francisco's Tenderloin is in motion! Though I do not know where the tenderloin is.. gosh agricultural anatomy && a my lack of SF geology!

- SailorMooo  ::)

Offline Rakel

• Formerly known as Dani
  • Rakel@susans.org
Re: 2021 Arcus/Places Prize Winner: Susan Stryker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 07:34:32 am »
... the restoration of San Francisco's Tenderloin is in motion! Though I do not know where the tenderloin is..  [/b]

A little before the Stonewall riot, there was a disturbance at Compton's Cafeteria in San Francisco's tenderloin district. It was called tenderloin because it was an area near City Hall and close to Market street and it was known for late night gatherings of sex workers and transgender people. At the time, cross dressing was illegal and people who cross dressed were subject to arrest. One night, they finally had enough harassment.

Retired Pharmacist with over 40 years experience in Hospital and Retail Pharmacies.
I still keep my professional licence active and in good standing.

Tags: