Author Topic: Transgender Montanans and allies prepare to fight medical bill  (Read 429 times)

Offline Laura1951

Transgender Montanans and allies prepare to fight medical bill
« on: January 13, 2021, 03:11:56 pm »
Transgender Montanans and allies prepare to fight medical bill

https://montanafreepress.org/2021/01/12/transgender-montanans-and-allies-prepare-to-fight-medical-bill/

Montana Free Press by Mara Silvers on January 12, 2021

HELENA — Within the first month of the 2021 legislative session, transgender Montanans and their supporters are preparing to defend access to critical medical care for minors experiencing gender dysphoria. 

The issue arises from House Bill 113, sponsored by Rep. John Fuller, R-Whitefish, which awaits a hearing before the House Judiciary Committee. Fuller’s proposal would prohibit medical professionals from providing hormonal treatments or gender-affirming surgery to minors and issue fines ranging from $500 to $50,000 to those who violate the statute. Opponents argue these types of treatments are crucial for addressing gender dysphoria among minors, who may also be experiencing depression and anxiety. 
===================

One more state coming after us.
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
Re: Transgender Montanans and allies prepare to fight medical bill
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:59:18 am »
There seems to be an awful lot of detransition stories out there and it's growing by the day and the trans community acts like it's not real. I'm not saying that there aren't real trans kids who would benefit from a transition but do you think maybe the trans community should sit back for a second and think about what is happening in the real world?

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 10:46:16 am »
There seems to be an awful lot of detransition stories out there and it's growing by the day and the trans community acts like it's not real. I'm not saying that there aren't real trans kids who would benefit from a transition but do you think maybe the trans community should sit back for a second and think about what is happening in the real world?

Detransition and accounts of regret are amazingly low. There are people who regret pursuing treatment for cancer and wish they had just let the disease take them quickly...should we sit back for a second on that, or let people choose for themselves?
Veteran, US Army

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 03:49:36 pm »
Yes, cancer treatments may be costly and insurance may not cover everything.  Some folks don't even have insurance.
Medicare will cover pretty much all hospice costs 100%  But, people are so used the idea of "fighting to the end" that they don't seriously consider their other options.  Its not just money.  Some treatments severely impact the quality of life.  Like having to wear diapers or incontinence pads for the rest of their lives.  So  yes, people do regret fighting cancer.

Marion

Offline JanePlain

• This road has a few bumps I wasn't expecting.
  • Janes not here!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:11:43 pm »
Detransition and accounts of regret are amazingly low. There are people who regret pursuing treatment for cancer and wish they had just let the disease take them quickly...should we sit back for a second on that, or let people choose for themselves?

Well said! And there are the number of suicides that happen with people who can't afford transition too. What about them?
"This world is but canvas to our imaginations.
Henry David Thoreau - (1817-1862)

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 07:50:04 am »

I totally disagree. Just look at youtube. I took a quick look and came up with thousands of detransition stories. That number is not amazingly low and sadly many of them are young FTM folks. Ignoring all of this is the trans communities achilles heel.

Offline Pammie

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 08:05:13 am »
I totally disagree. Just look at youtube. I took a quick look and came up with thousands of detransition stories. That number is not amazingly low and sadly many of them are young FTM folks. Ignoring all of this is the trans communities achilles heel.
If you came up with literally thousands of de transition stories I doubt that was a quick look  - there mag well be hundreds but people are very vocal generally when they de transition. I believe the data and the data says <1% last time I searched 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Devlyn

• The Forum Administrator
  • devlynmarie@susans.org
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 08:17:31 am »
I didn't use YouTube as my information source, but in relation to the number of transgender people out there,  thousands is still amazingly low. There are  1.4 million transgender people in the US alone. If you calculate your YouTube numbers (assuming they were all US [and unique cases, not repeat videos]) 1,000 cases gives a ratio of less than 1 person per thousand detransitioning. 2,000 videos would amount to less than 2 per thousand.
Veteran, US Army

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 10:59:27 am »
Yes people do make mistakes and wish they had not attempted transition and the younger they are the more mistakes in general are made and in the case of transitioning the greater the consequences. To this end it is a good idea to ensure that there is full understanding of what it means with extensive counselling NOT banning.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 11:33:13 am »
One of the more common errors occurs when autism or similar social disorders are involved and the desire is to improve acceptance.  Transition doesn't work because the root causes aren't addressed.  What is really needed is more and better quality care, but cash strapped services and institutions can't provide that.

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:55 am »
I didn't use YouTube as my information source, but in relation to the number of transgender people out there,  thousands is still amazingly low. There are  1.4 million transgender people in the US alone. If you calculate your YouTube numbers (assuming they were all US [and unique cases, not repeat videos]) 1,000 cases gives a ratio of less than 1 person per thousand detransitioning. 2,000 videos would amount to less than 2 per thousand.

From Wikipedia:

"A 2019 clinical assessment found that 9.4% of patients with adolescent-emerging gender dysphoria either ceased wishing to pursue medical interventions or no longer felt that their gender identity was incongruent with their assigned sex at birth within an eighteen-month period."

9.4% is not insignificant. The trans community runs around with blinders on all day ignoring that 9.4% as if they were lepers. Well they're not.

Here's a link to the actual clinical study:

https://jaacap.org/article/S0890-8567(13)00187-1/fulltext

If you doubt the article then go to youtube and watch the videos of M2F and F2M destransition stories for yourself.

Offline Laura1951

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 12:16:38 pm »
From Wikipedia:

"A 2019 clinical assessment found that 9.4% of patients with adolescent-emerging gender dysphoria either ceased wishing to pursue medical interventions or no longer felt that their gender identity was incongruent with their assigned sex at birth within an eighteen-month period."

Two Points

1. That 9.4% is split between those who no longer feel their gender identity is incongruent and those who just wish to stop transitioning. I, for example, detransitioned at least five times before my current journey, not because I wasn't transgender, but because I was afraid. If half those 9.4% stopped out of fear, like me, that means an even smaller percentage changed their minds about being trans. If 9.4% stopped, that means 90.6% didn't stop. Let's not dwell on an extreme minority to deny medical services to trans youth.

2. I find it amazing how those who want government out of our lives are perfectly happy going after trans youth

Laura
One New Life to Live (My personal blog)

Laura's HRT Journal     |     Laura's FFS Journey.   |  Stay or Go

Offline Zumbagirl

• Family
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 06:32:03 am »
Two Points

1. That 9.4% is split between those who no longer feel their gender identity is incongruent and those who just wish to stop transitioning. I, for example, detransitioned at least five times before my current journey, not because I wasn't transgender, but because I was afraid. If half those 9.4% stopped out of fear, like me, that means an even smaller percentage changed their minds about being trans. If 9.4% stopped, that means 90.6% didn't stop. Let's not dwell on an extreme minority to deny medical services to trans youth.

2. I find it amazing how those who want government out of our lives are perfectly happy going after trans youth

Laura

It's not an extreme minority that's the thing. At some point the medical folks are going to push back.

Look I'm a trans person too. I laid on the operating room table 3 times during my transition. I went through hundreds of hours of electrolysis. I was fired from a job for saying I was trans. I don't want to hear about 'government out of our lives' nonsense. I'm pointing out that way too many people in this community wander around with rose colored glasses in fact far more than when I transitioned 20+ years ago. I'm pointing out that the community is pushing very hard and ignoring science/unintended consequences/ and downstream cultural impacts of decisions on women themselves. A lot of women out there feel very hurt by the community pushing what are believed to be 'bold' plans and you know what it feels like for my women friends? Men taking over and telling the women what to do. So yeah it looks like 100 years backwards is the price for women for the trans community to move forward.

The push back will be fierce.

Tags: