Author Topic: Expensive wigs worth it?  (Read 300 times)

Offline ashley7

• Riot gal!
  • Neighbor
Expensive wigs worth it?
« on: January 15, 2021, 08:06:28 pm »
I had a $20 wig that got tangled beyond repair after 1 use. Is this typical of a cheap wig? Are the ~$100 wigs worth it?

Online RandyL

• On the way
Re: Expensive wigs worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 08:55:52 pm »
Ooh I paid $25 for mine and it lasted a lot longer. About a dollar per use. You get what you pay for

I haven't tried a better one yet.

Sent from my dual-floppy Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

Casting about for my best path forward...

My personal blog thread: Randy the lost traveler, finding the right road at last

My HRT thread: Randy's HRT Journal

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 09:21:45 pm »
The pricier ones are much better, IMO.

Offline Jessica_K

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 04:30:29 am »
The more expensive ones have a monofilament front (min) or lace. This means it blends with your head and forehead showing it through the wig that in turn makes it look more like it is your own hair. Mine cost about £150 and I have had it for about a year, still looking quite good but does need replacing when funds allow. Even more expensive can be human hair but no experience with them

Jessica xx

Offline Haley Conner

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 06:03:28 am »
Better fit...lighter...more realistic...more comfortable.

Offline Maid Marion

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 06:15:15 am »
https://www.simplywigs.co.uk/blog/5-steps-to-untangle-synthetic-wig/

I'd suggest getting practice with cheaper ones first.
They are a much different material than human hair and you will need to learn use new products and techniques.

It also occurs to me that you need to learn how to take care of long hair.

Marion

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
  • No act of kindness, however small, is wasted.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 06:47:28 am »
I would recommend a lace cap wig.
You can try inexpensive wigs out for style, look, color, length, and so on but on balance, unless you rarely wear them, they will not last as long as the better wigs.

Chrissy
Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline TSL_NB

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 06:16:02 am »
I can definitely say, just from my experience, that brand name matters in wig quality.

Jon Renau is quite expensive, but they align very well, and their colour is a really good match, so I'm sticking with that.

One part of the learning curve is that we have to remember that this is a prosthetic, and it needs different attention than our bio hair (especially depending on whether the hair is human or synthetic). 

But, for practice with wig care, I first got a cheap one off Amazon, got comfortable messing around with that, before putting money towards my Jon Renau topper.
It took over 40 years to realise, and believe, that what I am NOT, is a mistake.

(Yes, I'm a Canadian who served in the US Navy....)

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
  • Friend
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 09:25:59 am »
Yes they are worth it. 

I used to buy 50-100 dollar wigs, now I buy Jon Renau ones which retail for $450.  Much higher quality and they are wearable for longer.  However all wigs will eventually frizz, well at least synthetics.  So mine still frizz, but it just takes a longer time for it to happen. 

I've actually gotten quite good at using magnifying glasses and scissors to cut out the frizzed fibers and extend the useful life of my hairpieces. 

Now what I am curious about are the $1000-$3000 hairpieces using quality human hair????????  That to me is an expensive wig, too expensive to just try. 

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 09:35:53 am »
Hi.

Here are some questions I have about wigs.  Occasionally I will wear one, especially my two longer ones.
One had so many nice curls and twists, but it was so hard to maintain that gorgeous look.  I am not a stylist, that is for sure!  I simply wear my very straight hair long wig at times.

1.  What have you all found to be the very best ways to clean wigs from usage and to get them ready to again be worn?  Do you use a “foam head” for drying the wig?

2.  Have any of you taken them to a hair stylist for styling?

Chrissy

Be a good example of good behavior.  Always be kinder than needed.  Be tender to others.  You are as beautiful as the thoughts you think and the words that your speak.   Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding.  Knowledge and action shown without love is not impressive.  If you look for the good in people you will find it. Healthy relationships are so important to good living.  Serve others.

Good living, joy, unity, love, and happiness can come from following these practices: Never let selfishness or conceit motivate you.  Regard others as more important than yourself.  Do not limit attention to only your interests, but include the interests of others

It is not usually about how fast you transition, it is about how well you transition.  

Offline Nadine Spirit

• Little Mrs. Snarky
  • Friend
    • Unordinary Style
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 09:26:53 am »
1 - I wash my wigs in the sink using products from Jon Renau.  I try and agitate them as little as possible so there is lots of soaking time to allow the dirt to lift.  I dry them hanging on the shower head or on a sweater drying rack.  In general you want to avoid a foam head while drying as that can stretch the cap. 

2 - Yes.  Only once though.  I got a new wig and had it styled by a pro at the shop I bought it at.  It was like a regular hair cut.  I liked it as it personalized the wig for me.  It did look better, but not so much so that I continued doing it.  In terms of taking your used hair to a stylist I've only asked about it.  They have told me that it normally is not worth it as the hair piece often cannot be "repaired" well enough to warrant the time and money invested.  Fibers have a life span that generally cannot be extended, they will eventually wear out.  At least that is what I have experienced and been told.

Offline ChrissyRyan

• “Have a gentle manner”
  • Family
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 10:42:56 am »
1 - I wash my wigs in the sink using products from Jon Renau.  I try and agitate them as little as possible so there is lots of soaking time to allow the dirt to lift.  I dry them hanging on the shower head or on a sweater drying rack.  In general you want to avoid a foam head while drying as that can stretch the cap. 

2 - Yes.  Only once though.  I got a new wig and had it styled by a pro at the shop I bought it at.  It was like a regular hair cut.  I liked it as it personalized the wig for me.  It did look better, but not so much so that I continued doing it.  In terms of taking your used hair to a stylist I've only asked about it.  They have told me that it normally is not worth it as the hair piece often cannot be "repaired" well enough to warrant the time and money invested.  Fibers have a life span that generally cannot be extended, they will eventually wear out.  At least that is what I have experienced and been told.

Thank you so much.

Chrissy

Tags: